Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2013 8:22pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    What was your pace when you did the alps?
    September is pretty good time of the year for it. I did Mt Whitney once when it still had snow on it. It made the trek significantly harder. Of course my lack of crampons did not help.
    Did that one in eight days, so just under 14 miles/day, and a few of the days I didn't really get started until 10am. I'd be semi-confident of matching that pace in the Sierra Nevadas - the altitude and terrain will be nearly identical. I'll plan for 10 miles/day though as I'll be carrying quite a bit more weight and a bigger pack (bear canister, a week's worth of food between resupplies, ELB, big fucking knife, etc.)

I wasn't intending to take crampons. What time of year was it when you went up Mt Whitney?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2013 11:24pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    I'm planning on doing a solo wilderness trek later this year - hopefully the Sierra High Route. Solo trekking can be safe, as long as you properly plan and have the right kit.
    um, good for you? Still never going into the wilderness alone. Never chancing it. Enjoy yourself, by all means, but it's something I will personally never do.

Running from a mountain lion is generally considered a bad move btw. Standing your ground, making yourself big and throwing rocks are the tips I've seen most.
    Come to think of it, I've heard this as well. Regardless, if I don't HAVE to fight it, I'm not going to. That's what I was attempting to get at in that post.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 1:25am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If making yourself big is the best defense, clearly systema is the best martial art for defending against cougars.

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 2:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't intending to take crampons. What time of year was it when you went up Mt Whitney?
    You shouldn't need them in sept. I was just reminiscing about one of the times that stupid mountain caught me off guard. It was late June.

The only thing I can think of, that is likely to catch you off guard is how arid Mt Whitney and the Sierra Nevadas can get.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 11:24am

Style: sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After extensive research I think I have finally discovered the absolute best art to combat a mountain lion. Sandi Murti.

http://www.sandhimurti.org/?content=video

Surprising, this awesome style has escape the attention of bullshido so far.

Posted On:
    5/02/2013 4:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some Martial Arts That Might Work vs Mountain Lion

1) The one Anakin Skywalker used in Attack of the Clones to calm the arena beast, jump on its back, then ride around looking cool.

2) Didn't Johnny Weissmuller (as Tarzan) use Greco-Roman wrestling to kill lions?

3) The flying Wushu techniques used in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - as the lion leaps you could bound gracefully onto the nearest cloud and float away.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/02/2013 6:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So last week my 8 year old son and I went turkey hunting. He is pretty good at calling them in, I am pretty bad at hitting them.

It was a cold and kind of windy day, a little damp. We were calling across the wind. We went through a deep draw and were working our way up the steep opposite slope, with a little more of the top exposed with each sidehill traverse.

So I look up and see a cougar about 25 yards away watching us from the tree line.

It was in the open. I told Tully (my son) to look, which he did, but all he saw was the ass end of it as it spun away into the woods.

It was a young cat, maybe 1.5 years old, for sure not a full grown lion.

All I can say is what a rush and we promptly headed in the opposite direction !

I feel confident than my shotgun-fu (1 5/16 oz of copper plated lead in a 3" 20 gauge shell) would have prevailed had the cat been aggressive. It had been stalking us I'm sure as we called from across the draw.

Either that or Tully would have stabbed it with his Swiss Army (tm) knife while it chewed on my neck.
    Last edited by BKR; 5/02/2013 6:35pm at . Reason: Double your pleasure double your fun
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    5/02/2013 8:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I feel confident than my shotgun-fu (1 5/16 oz of copper plated lead in a 3" 20 gauge shell) would have prevailed had the cat been aggressive.
    I can't tell you how many times one very well armed John Marston has been mauled by cougars. =)

Posted On:
    5/19/2014 9:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well its official BJJ wins again

http://www.empiresports.co/ufcs-joe-...7AXSQ.facebook

According to a police report, Rogan was able to get the big cat into “one of them Kung Fu holds, then somehow used his belt to choke the lion to death.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2014 11:56pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh god. This is the funniest thing I have seen all week.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast