Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 3:44am

Style: MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ tactics vs a Judoka

I've been training BJJ for the past 10 months, and next Saturday I'll be competing in my first gi competition. There's 3 competitors in my division (including myself), and thus we'll be playing in a league format.

One of my opponents has less experience than me in BJJ (he's joined our club about 5 months ago), but on the other hand he's got 4 years of Judo training experience.

What would you guys suggest as the best tactic against this guy?

I suppose wrestling clinch is out as I'll be entering his comfort zone there and setting myself up for a throw.

Would shooting for a double leg takedown be better, or pulling guard? Thanks for any advice :)

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 6:03am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello Rarius, good luck at the competition.

Did you discuss this with your instructor? What did he/she say?

Do you train standup as well (meaning throws and such)?

Some folks just simply pull guard and are thus regarded as buttfloppers by judoka/wrestlers. :-)

I believe one needs to drill takedowns and throws, although naturally at a BJJ gym it will make up a lesser portion of your training time than at a judo school.

And remember - it is Basically Just Judo... :-)

Oh, I just re-read what you wrote - you are going to compete against a teammate? Is it an in house competition?

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 6:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba View Post
    Hello Rarius, good luck at the competition.

Did you discuss this with your instructor? What did he/she say?

Do you train standup as well (meaning throws and such)?

Some folks just simply pull guard and are thus regarded as buttfloppers by judoka/wrestlers. :-)

I believe one needs to drill takedowns and throws, although naturally at a BJJ gym it will make up a lesser portion of your training time than at a judo school.

And remember - it is Basically Just Judo... :-)

Oh, I just re-read what you wrote - you are going to compete against a teammate? Is it an in house competition?
    Thanks mate. I train with 2 clubs, one is a BJJ gi oriented club (BJJ Team Malta), while the other is an MMA club (Team Smasher).

The competition is being organized by my BJJ club, and most of the participants are my team mates there, though there are 3 competitors entering from outside our club. One of them is a foreign guy (no idea if he's good or not) who is registered in my division; whilst the other 2 (and I know this will surprise many people over here) are from a Bujinkan dojo.

This tournament is going to be a mixed white/blue belt competition, and is aimed at giving some tournament experience for us white belt newbies (some of whom will be competing in a tournament next month in the UK)

Most of the rolling at the BJJ club focuses more with us starting from the ground, whereas I train standup (as in throws) at the MMA club. Obviously at the MMA club our grappling is no-gi, so while I do practice throws & takedowns during sparring, my experience with the gi doing these is still rather limited (especially compared to my judoka opponent).

My MMA coach has offered to do a gi private lesson for me with a couple of other team mates there to drill with today. His suggestion is that I shoot for the double leg asap, the reasoning being that even if he sprawls on top of me, I can escape via hip heist and take the back (something we practice a lot during the MMA grappling class). Apart from that he also suggested that I avoid wrestling clinches as that will most probably set me up for a throw by my opponent.

For me this makes sense but would also like to hear what other guys over here think. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 7:03am

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Given the prep time, I think you'll be best served by doing whatever you're most comfortable with. If that takes you into his wheelhouse...so be it.

If you're most comfortable with the double (or maybe you get a single), just don't stop until you're both on the ground.

The key, whatever you do is don't stop. Be in control, be smart, but be physical and intense. That's what competition should be.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 10:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just pull guard. It is BJJ after all.

Just pull guard. It is BJJ after all.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 11:27am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't let him get grips, no matter what.

Shooting for singles and doubles is a good idea, because if you pull guard he's going to have super good posture and if he passes he's going to be really really heavy on top and he'll probably americana you.

I imagine the match will go like this:

You attempt a double leg, he either pancakes you, or sweeps you immediately. Next he smash passes to side control and settles into Kesa. During your escape attempts he secure your arm and sets up the americana for the finish.

So, good luck! But don't expect to beat someone that has 4x as much grappling experience as you do without something out of the ordinary happening.

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 5:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1st off good on you for competing.
    2nd don't worry about it too much in the end a takedown is worth 2 points. While this is certainly more than the margin of victory often times its not terminal.
    3rd the stand up game for BJJ has enough differences than that of Judo. One of the things you can do to take him a bit out of his comfort zone is to cross grip or other "abnormal grips". I like the gross grip to an arm drag.
    In fact Arm drags are your friend.

Lastly just relax, this is suppose to be about getting some competition experience. One of the things you will have to deal with in competition are opponents of a varied and wide background. At future competitions you may not be privy to this background information.

So play your game. Get good at your game. Don't worry about your opponents game.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 11:39pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all your tips guys.

Yesterday's training session went very well, got to drill LOTS of double and single leg takedowns, and then coach got me to spar with the focus for me being on getting the other guy down.

I can't say all my attempts were 100% successful, but I'm much more confident on what I'm supposed to do during tomorrow's competition now. I'd have to say I was better at getting the single leg rather than the double, so that's probably what I will aim to do against my opponent.

Nothing to do now but rest for the big day :) I should have a video camera at hand tomorrow to be able to film my matches which I'll post on these forums for critique.

Thanks once more for the comments, tips and encouragement guys :)

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    4/27/2013 12:56am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you do lots of doubles and singles, watch out for the sacrifice throws. Jumping guard can actually be a valuable tactic if you're about to go down, but I hate when people just jump guard without out even trying to get a takedown.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 12:35am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Competition's over and I'm very happy to say coach's gameplan against the judoka worked a treat!!! :))))

I was competing in the 76kg category.

My first match was against this judo guy, and I got the win on points. I was going for the single leg, and although I stuffed the first 4 attempts, I always managed to push myself back and not let him clinch me. At the 5th attempt I managed to put him down (wasn't the cleanest of takedowns as regards technique, but I got the points at least! hehe). From there I tried to keep side mount and even managed to take his back, getting the points for that as well. I didn't manage to sink in a choke from there, and he sorta managed to wriggle free, but I kept him in my half guard till the end of the match and got a (for me) rather unexpected win :)

My 2nd match was against a Hungarian guy, who although was wearing a white belt with two stripes (same as me), was WAAAAYYYYYYYYY much better than me (this guy even won the open weight competition, beating a 95kg blue belt in the semi final!!!!). We clinched early on, and felt he was going to throw me, so I pulled guard. From there he slipped into my half guard, trapping my arm in the process; and eventually to full mount where he choked me with an arm triangle.

This was still good enough to earn me silver in my weight division, my first BJJ medal (yeah I know it's no big deal for most of you out there, but right then I felt I touched the sky ^_^ )

In the open weight competition, I made a bit of a mess. I was drawn against a smaller, weaker opponent who is even more of a newbie than me (he's been training for 4 months at most), and he'd lost all his matches by submission in his weight division. The match started well, I got double underhooks, went for a standing guillottine and pulled guard hoping to force him to tap once we were on the ground. Somehow he rolled to the side and I got on full mount, but my arm was still trapped around his neck...I (very) stupidly kept up the pressure with the result that I cranked his neck, and the ref had no option but to disqualify me (and rightly so). At that moment I didn't realize what I had done, but watching the video the neck crank did look bad, and I'd have done the same in the ref's place. Pity as had I won that match I'd have been in the semi final with a good chance of getting a 2nd medal.

A friend of mine was recording the matches, and I should be able to post them in the coming days for critique here :) Once more thanks for the tips and advice you guys posted up here :)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast