Page 1 of 3 123 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

savate mixed with sanshou

hi im not sure if im posting this in the right place but i just wanted to hear ppls opinion on this i going to be doing ma in a while and i came across these to styles that i really liked savate and sanshou would these styles be a good match, and pls dont say take muay thai its not for me and every 1 does it i just wanna be a bit different

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a little puzzled about your resistance towards muay thai, since lots of good sanshou is like muay thai with throws. Sanshou, being a ruleset rather than a style, teaches kicking that can vary from CMA/TKD/savate style whipping kicks, to kicks basically identical to muay thai, depending on the trainer. What's your training background at the moment?

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's available in your area?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I'm a little puzzled about your resistance towards muay thai, since lots of good sanshou is like muay thai with throws. Sanshou, being a ruleset rather than a style, teaches kicking that can vary from CMA/TKD/savate style whipping kicks, to kicks basically identical to muay thai, depending on the trainer. What's your training background at the moment?
    well i always thought of it as a style more then a rule set i just like the idea of kickboxing with throws and every 1 and there mother does muay thai i'd just like to be different my backround at the moment is just regular kickboxing but i plan on moving to toronto i found they got a sanda gym and a savate gym,

Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by clue_99 View Post
    well i always thought of it as a style more then a rule set i just like the idea of kickboxing with throws and every 1 and there mother does muay thai i'd just like to be different my backround at the moment is just regular kickboxing but i plan on moving to toronto i found they got a sanda gym and a savate gym,
    I'd say that if you don't have much of a martial arts background right now, and you're mainly into the idea of kickboxing with throws, train in sanshou at the beginning and maybe cross-train in savate later on.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best solution is to try everything and see what school you like best. Visit multiple schools. You need to find a school that offers quality teaching and where you get along with the people. The style is secondary.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by killface View Post
    The best solution is to try everything and see what school you like best. Visit multiple schools. You need to find a school that offers quality teaching and where you get along with the people. The style is secondary.
    I disagree about 63%.

Getting your desired results come first.

Most shitty schools have instructors and students who are easy to get along with and are very nice. They can also be excellent instructors they just instruct you to punch air, do forms, train with complete compliance and then reward you for paying your bill with a belt, but impart no fighting skills.

If you want a colored belt collection or cardio kickboxing take killface's advice. If you want to compete , fight, or exist outside your current comfort zone you may have to deal with assholes.

hi im not sure if im posting this in the right place but i just wanted to hear ppls opinion on this i going to be doing ma in a while and i came across these to styles that i really liked savate and sanshou would these styles be a good match, and pls dont say take muay thai its not for me and every 1 does it i just wanna be a bit different
    First off, what are your training goals?

Secondly if you want to just be a bit different than everyone else just GET BETTER than them.
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 6/30/2013 3:43am at .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both stiles are great. Though if cross-training is a goal, why not cross-train grappling with striking and become a complete fighter? Cross training striking with striking is less effective. Choose one good school, like the san da and train as much as you can there, if u can only attend one or two classes a week in said school, and you can find the time to cross train, than complete it with savat or what ever.
    Again, both are potentially great!

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    every 1 and there mother does muay thai i'd just like to be different
    what a bizarre reason to choose a martial art style.

the logical way to go would be to find the best person who trains fighters near you, and train with them.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Both stiles are great. Though if cross-training is a goal, why not cross-train grappling with striking and become a complete fighter? Cross training striking with striking is less effective. Choose one good school, like the san da and train as much as you can there, if u can only attend one or two classes a week in said school, and you can find the time to cross train, than complete it with savat or what ever.
    Again, both are potentially great!
    ya im not that big on grappling i was thinking of taking judo but that wouldn't be for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    what a bizarre reason to choose a martial art style.

the logical way to go would be to find the best person who trains fighters near you, and train with them.
    i know im weird like that lol

Page 1 of 3 123 Last