Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 2:45pm

Style: Shotokan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

SKK on LI, NY?

I found a dojo recently with a logo that said "Shaolin" across the top of the building. Upon further investigation I wind up learning there was such a hybrid school called Shaolin Kempo Karate (wiki: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaolin_Kempo_Karate ) and this dojo trains this exact thing lol.

I've been thinking of going there lately, but didn't want to lay down any cash before running it by the bullshido community first.

Anyone know if there's something I should be wary of given any history in this style (particularly anything under the controversies section on the wiki page).

The dojo website is this: http://www.shaolinbayport.com/index.html
    Similarly, any warnings about the place in particular?

I visited there before and nothing set off any bells for me. The students seemed to preform well, the instructor seemed friendly and skilled. I'm told they also train interested students in MMA for competition, and it was apparent that competing is an important part of the school as well as they keep multiple calendars available in flyer form filled with tournament dates right in front of the room.

If anyone has any experience with he art, the dojo, or sees/knows that something isn't quite what it should be, I greatly appreciate your time and input. Hopefully things seem legit and I'll be writing a positive review down the road.

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 3:21pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh lordy, but they need to hire a proof-reader. I didn't realize black text on a white background could be so painful, but it was.

He studied the styles of Show Da Khan, Tae Kwon Do and Tang Su Do.
    Show Da Khan, Show Da Khan ... oh! Do you mean Shotokan?

Oh, and a moderator will be by shortly to move this thread to YMAS.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 4:21pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cut and paste from my posts in another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    My old kung fu teacher had a kempo black belt before studying kung fu, and it showed in his teaching methods. Anyway, my problems with kempo:
    -the cross-training attitude and "universality" of it can make a kempo practitioners overestimate their abilities to apply or teach stuff from other styles. Do they really have backgrounds in kung fu, judo, JJ, boxing and wrestling, or did they read some books and watch some videos before deciding they were qualified to teach it?

-kempo tends to focus on self-defense techniques, where one guy does something and you respond with a pre-determined series of movements. This lacks aliveness and often is overambitious about the previous movement "first you kick the groin, which will definitely make him grab his groin, bend forward and stick his butt out". The problem with this sort of training is that the first real spinal reflex you get is the real challenge, not learning how to exploit it. Hell, if you can get a perfect groin or eye strike reaction, you can follow it up in whatever ugly way you want. No flowing combinations necessary. Do a Polish hammer to the back and stomp on their foot if you feel like it.

-not exactly sure why, but there's lots of overweight/obese kempo guys.

-my FMA teacher goes and teaches for a kajukempo group once a week, and sometimes they come to the garage to train with us. Kaju seems to be the kempo style that makes the most sense to me. They wear gis and bow and stuff, but also spar hard and really cross train (with teachers from other styles, not books). They manage to have both family and fighting cultures in the same training group, and I like that. Plus there's always a good kaju showing at the Dog Brothers gatherings.

-it might seem like a bigger combination of things is better, but that's not necessarily the case. I'd rather learn a muay thai/judo hybrid than a style that's a mix of karate, judo, jujutsu, capoeira, pankration, tukong musool, kali, hapkido, krav maga, XMA and bagua.
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Villari is, well, let's start with a picture of the guy:

Here he is standing in an overly fanciful pose, with a sleeve full of extra stripes because his black belt couldn't acomodate all of his self-appointed glory, looking like Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force trying to score with a karate persona. Here's a better look at his sleeve of glory (all other observations still apply):

Its worth noting that the fancy gi and awards are nowhere to be found in actual Shaolin martial arts; this extra emphasis on show is his own doing.

You might say I'm just being a hipster who's hating on a guy's appearance, so let's see him in action:

I could break down what I like and dislike in each of his techniques, but I'll cut through that and get to the heart of the matter: in several minutes of demos, did you see anything that wasn't totally choreographed? Its all half hearted attacks where you punch, hold your fist out, and pretend to be hurt. That's it. You know, I'll bet most people could come up with some groovy demo stuff like that after half an hour of screwing around with compliant attack. If you browse around his videos, you'll see this pattern over and over again. When I've asked the SKK people about his lack of competition success or otherwise, they talk about how he used to be some kind of street tough. Yawn.

Then after all this, he starts telling his students that he was the first to incorporate all 4 methods of fighting (strikes, kicks, throws, locks), showing that he was ignorant of the other arts before him, and arrogant to try to attack such a title to his name.

Shaolin kempo can mean 2 different things:
    1. An American art that claims to be descendent from the Shaolin temple, despite not looking like Shaolin kung fu. When I see Shaolin tacked on to a style, its a bit of a red flag. Its sorta like when you see a product you're familiar with, but now the word Xtreme is in front of it.

2. A Japanese art founded by a guy named Doshin So around WW2 era, who studied at the Shaolin temple and returned to teach something that also doesn't look like Shaolin kung fu. This style is called Shorinji Kempo (Shorin is the Japanese way of saying Shaolin).

The 2nd one is pretty neat. It combines strikes and locks together in cool ways, and they do bogu kumite (karate sparring in kendo chestpieces), and in Japan the organization is a religion. You're also less likely to find an overpriced Shorinji kempo place, and their uniforms are pretty cool.
    From: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119886

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 1:47pm

Style: Shotokan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Geezy wheezy. I'm starting to wonder if there're any good places on Long Island at all. @_@;;

Thanks for pointing out the Sho Da Khan thing, Chili Pepper lol and thank you Permalost for linking that Villari post. The dojo doesn't look as bad as all that, but if that's the standard and origin of the style, I'm not too enthused to partake.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 2:02pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rindoukan View Post
    Sho Da Khan

Last edited by It is Fake; 4/25/2013 2:18pm at .