Our Sponsors:

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101617181920 21222324 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/02/2013 6:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are absolutely right I felt the rigmarole of me and my wife of having to show up to the county clerks office to fill out a small form show our IDs to prove that we are who we say we are and paying $35 was not only extremely orwellian but also the complete lack of freedom that me and my wife now have to conduct our marriage how we want is just on the verge of totalism.

Please will someone get the government out of my MARRIAGE!!!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/02/2013 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete838 View Post
    The government should get out of the business of defining what marriage is and accept it as the People themselves define it.
    I can't wrap my head around this sentence.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/02/2013 7:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Well I must admit, I never thought my beautiful daughter would provide me with a small tough black woman attorney as a son-in-law, but wtf?
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/02/2013 8:07pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!

And recognition of your status is something the government should accept WITHOUT LIMITATION. The government should get out of the business of defining what marriage is and accept it as the People themselves define it. I'm no anarchist. I just want to see the system simplified by getting government the hell out of the marriage licensing business altogether.

The definition of a “license” demands that we not obtain one to marry. Black’s Law Dictionary defines “license” as, “The permission by competent authority to do an act which without such permission, would be illegal.” Why should it be illegal to marry without the State’s permission? George Washington was married without license. Abraham Lincoln was married without license. So, how did we get where marriage licenses are issued? And how did we ever survive up until that point?

Government wasn't even in the marriage license business until the late 19th century, and even then the whole reason they got into the into it was to prevent interracial marriages. In the mid-1800’s, some states began allowing interracial marriages as long as those marrying received a license from the state. In other words they had to receive permission to do an act which without such permission would be illegal. Now that society has deemed that interracial marriage is to be accepted, though, we still are stuck with the laws and the laws are being used to oppress another group. And so we unquestioningly and dutifully march down to the courthouse if we want to be married. Doesn't it make sense once that last group is deemed "equal" that this buggy whip industry goes by the wayside? Does no one see it as a remnant of an ugly, bygone era?
    Dude, I appreciate your attempt of arguing the right side but you are failing epically.

Posted On:
    5/02/2013 8:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!

And recognition of your status is something the government should accept WITHOUT LIMITATION. The government should get out of the business of defining what marriage is and accept it as the People themselves define it. I'm no anarchist. I just want to see the system simplified by getting government the hell out of the marriage licensing business altogether.

The definition of a “license” demands that we not obtain one to marry. Black’s Law Dictionary defines “license” as, “The permission by competent authority to do an act which without such permission, would be illegal.” Why should it be illegal to marry without the State’s permission? George Washington was married without license. Abraham Lincoln was married without license. So, how did we get where marriage licenses are issued? And how did we ever survive up until that point?

Government wasn't even in the marriage license business until the late 19th century, and even then the whole reason they got into the into it was to prevent interracial marriages. In the mid-1800’s, some states began allowing interracial marriages as long as those marrying received a license from the state. In other words they had to receive permission to do an act which without such permission would be illegal. Now that society has deemed that interracial marriage is to be accepted, though, we still are stuck with the laws and the laws are being used to oppress another group. And so we unquestioningly and dutifully march down to the courthouse if we want to be married. Doesn't it make sense once that last group is deemed "equal" that this buggy whip industry goes by the wayside? Does no one see it as a remnant of an ugly, bygone era?
    OK, I got it the first time! You don't think their should be such a thing as marriage. I get it! Really. But regardless, that isn't the issue. There is such a thing as marriage. So now we would simply like for marriage equality. And we all agree on that.

Now, you can start your crusade to get marriage eliminated. Petition your legislators, start a website, and print off some T-shirts. Hell, I'll probably buy a T-shirt, because it's the kind of weird **** I would like to have on a T-shirt. And while you are doing that, just in case it doesn't work, how about we keep working on marriage equality?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2013 11:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Tang Soo Don't Retired

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great posts. I learn so much here. Thank you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2013 11:24am

Style: sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Incidentally, the government has been involved in marriage since long before the 19th century all around the world. Roman laws for example define marriage very clearly and that was 500ish BC.

The problem isn't in the government's interest in marriage. Because the interest is valid at least for some facets of it, like recognition of estate claims, tax benefit issues, military benefits etc. The problem is at least in the U.S. is that the government has failed to keep the separation of church and state coherent.

It is because of this that laws prohibiting gay marriage last/lasted as long as they did. Marriage as the government sees it and defines it has nothing to do with how the church sees it and defines it. So while the government really has no business telling people who they can and can't marry (as long as both parties have legal status to sign documents I suppose), it isn't realistic to have them stay out of the marriage business entirely.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/03/2013 1:22pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the record you people have got to stop using the term gay marriage. It's like calling an Mac a PC. Stop it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2013 1:45pm

Style: sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Marriage between two people of alternative sexual orientations is much longer and harder to say. Personally, I would prefer to just say marriage. Just like I don't go to hang out with my gay friend and have some gay vodka and play some gay cards. But then, nobody would know what I am talking about.

The Legislature passes a law to legalize marriage??

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/03/2013 1:48pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theAsthmatic View Post
    Marriage between two people of alternative sexual orientations is much longer and harder to say. Personally, I would prefer to just say marriage. Just like I don't go to hang out with my gay friend and have some gay vodka and play some gay cards. But then, nobody would know what I am talking about.

The Legislature passes a law to legalize marriage??
    I was thinking more
    Same sex marriage or homosexual marriage.
Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101617181920 21222324 ... LastLast