Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/30/2013 10:34pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wasn't talking about RNC, was referring to the necktie choke.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/30/2013 10:47pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing-Kwan-Fu View Post
    I'm not good with the RNC, but this is definitely wrong. It does seem that there are guys with necks too strong to succumb to non-collar chokes, but high-level grapplers are routinely caught in RNCs.

Also, I am skeptical about the role of the vasovagal response in "blood chokes". I want to see some fMRI...
    It's one thing for a couple of Judo instructors to go on a tangent in a technique thread (ahem), but lack of reading comprehension is another issue altogether.

To wit, please don't do that again in the technique fora.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 9:24am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, I am skeptical about the role of the vasovagal response in "blood chokes". I want to see some fMRI...
    you want to see some fMRI what? images, i assume. are you a radiologist? an MR tech?

i worked in an fMRI lab for 4 years, and am a certified judo coach, so i have some familiarity with the technology in question as well as the choke.

you want to see the *brain activity* that happens when someone is choked out? what are you hoping to observe exactly about the vasovagal response?

good luck applying for that research grant.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 11:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not good with the RNC, but this is definitely wrong. It does seem that there are guys with necks too strong to succumb to non-collar chokes, but high-level grapplers are routinely caught in RNCs.

Be as skeptical as you like, it is true.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 12:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, I am skeptical about the role of the vasovagal response in "blood chokes".
    So, what you are saying is you are skeptical of Vladimir Putin as an authority on judo chokes. That's fine, go ahead and dis on the guidance of a Russian alpha male with decades of top level judo experience.

Applying pressure to the vagus nerve is a classic cause of rapid (ie within seconds) syncope. The "Choking Game" that kids take part in uses this response to induce feinting.

You can also induce the vasovagal response from heavy coughing fits that cause the neck muscles to constrict the vagus, something asthmatic people sometimes experience.

Strangulation by trachea can take more than a minute to induce syncope. Strangulation by vagus can take seconds because the vagus response is an immediate dump of your resting blood pressure to 1/3rd its normal level. Nappytime.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/01/2013 12:55pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 11:25pm

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Speaking of those, random thought - what's the Japanese name for the necktie choke? That's what we call it in our dojo where you grab both collars with one hand and then just keep tightening it up by pulling one of them through with the other hand.
    I don't know the direct Japanese name for that one specifically, but it seems very much like a variation on the base choke from that position, ichimonji shime (single line constriction). The base choke for that is top hand in the standard cross-lapel choke position (across the neck, thumb-in, grabbing the collar) and the bottom hand gripping the opposite lapel further down.

I'm sorry I can't seem to find a good picture of it for you. Hope that helps.

Posted On:
    5/02/2013 1:21am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muerteds View Post
    I don't know the direct Japanese name for that one specifically, but it seems very much like a variation on the base choke from that position, ichimonji shime (single line constriction). The base choke for that is top hand in the standard cross-lapel choke position (across the neck, thumb-in, grabbing the collar) and the bottom hand gripping the opposite lapel further down.

I'm sorry I can't seem to find a good picture of it for you. Hope that helps.
    Nope, necktie is not like that. Your hand isn't in the collar at all. You have both lapels in one hand so that the collar is made into a noose, and you are tightening up the noose by pulling one or the other lapel with the other hand. It's a slow choke, if the guy hasn't seen it before he may not realize he's in danger until he is well and truly primed.
    Last edited by NeilG; 5/02/2013 1:27am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2013 4:24pm

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Nope, necktie is not like that. Your hand isn't in the collar at all. You have both lapels in one hand so that the collar is made into a noose, and you are tightening up the noose by pulling one or the other lapel with the other hand. It's a slow choke, if the guy hasn't seen it before he may not realize he's in danger until he is well and truly primed.
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. I don't know that the necktie choke (I can visualize what you're describing easily enough) has a unique Japanese name. A lot of things have a name, and then there are variations with the same name. This struck me as one of those examples. However, I'd love to find out I'm wrong, just to know if it truly is known by a different name.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123