Hell yeah! Hell no!

Knee on Chest vs. Knee on Stomach

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	148526_1771280880654_1328610_n.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	14724

Knee on Chest vs. Knee on Stomach

Most people use the knee on stomach method. Their reason is that it controls their opponent�s hips and makes it hard for them to escape. I myself think this is false. Anybody with a strong stomach can take the pressure on their abs which allows them enough time to relax and think of an escape. I don�t use knee on stomach instead I use the knee on chest method�.why?

When you place your shins across your opponent�s solar plexus it puts vast amounts of pressure on their chest making hard for them to breathe because the chest can not expand to allow air back inside the lungs. When a person can not breathe, especially when they are already tired, they tend to do anything to try and escape and not concentrate on their technique which allows me to apply a submission or obtain a better position.

I have had people tap just from having the knee on chest position while apply all my weight on the chest. Being able to be heavy is another issue which I will get into another day but all one has to do is place the shin/knee across where the sternum/solar plexus area. The solar plexus is a soft spot and no matter how well your strong your abs are if struck or if pressure is applied in that area you will feel uncomfortable for sure.

So next time you practice knee on stomach techniques switch it to knee on chest and see what your partner thinks. Have him say a sentence and see if he can with all your weight on his chest.

Jiu-Jiteiro for life!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2013 8:32pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think size and body types comes into it a bit.

At 65kg, if I'm rolling with someone my size, if they commit enough weight to a high knee-ride to start to be uncomfortable then I find their balance less than optimal and my hips very mobile to take advantage of it (and I'm in the same situation when I'm on top and they're flexible/dynamic in how they roll).

But you're right, if they're not used to it being done to them, they'll often react badly and give you a good opening.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 10:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been waiting as patiently as possible for higher level guys to weigh in on this. Although I don't feel qualified to offer my 2 cents maybe it will nudge someone to tell me how and why I'm stupid.
    I personally find escaping knee on chest way easier than knee on waist / belly that being said the only people in my gym that use knee on chest are blue and below purple and up almost exclusively used knee on waist / belly. Being that having a purple and above on top of you sucks more than blue and below I find myself still left wanting.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 10:46am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent tip - I had one question, which I think I resolved for myself. That is, the question of points.

Quote Originally Posted by IBJJF Rules
    When the athlete on top maintaining side-control places a knee on the belly, chest or ribs of his/her opponent - who is on bottom with their back or side on the ground, - maintaining his/her other leg extended diagonally away from the opponent and his/her foot (not knee) on the ground, body facing the opponent's head (not legs), and thus remains for 3 (three) seconds.
    (emphasis mine)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 6:29pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharon View Post
    I've been waiting as patiently as possible for higher level guys to weigh in on this. Although I don't feel qualified to offer my 2 cents maybe it will nudge someone to tell me how and why I'm stupid.
    I personally find escaping knee on chest way easier than knee on waist / belly that being said the only people in my gym that use knee on chest are blue and below purple and up almost exclusively used knee on waist / belly. Being that having a purple and above on top of you sucks more than blue and below I find myself still left wanting.

There is more to controlling someone from the knee on chest position than just where to place the knee. I wrote this to give people other alternatives which for me work. If a person can escape this position it has nothing to do whether you use knee on chest or stomach it has to do with poor control on your part.

I did not mention these details because that is not what this thread was about. What you do to control your opponent from this position is just as important as to where you place your knee. On my next thread I will cover the placement of the hands, leg/foot and your head for better control from the knee on chest position

Posted On:
    4/27/2013 7:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My coach says the same things you are, yet i tend to avoid the chest/sternum in class because:
    a. I'm not sure everyone in class is on the same page; ie i don't want to be seen as a dick, and
    b. I always think back to CPR classes where we were admonished to beware of the xiphoid process, lest it crack off causing potentially lethal injuries the persons internal organs.

Are my concerns unwarranted?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 3:00am

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    My coach says the same things you are, yet i tend to avoid the chest/sternum in class because:
    a. I'm not sure everyone in class is on the same page; ie i don't want to be seen as a dick, and
    b. I always think back to CPR classes where we were admonished to beware of the xiphoid process, lest it crack off causing potentially lethal injuries the persons internal organs.

Are my concerns unwarranted?
    I have been Jiu-Jitsu for over 16 years and never heard of such an injury to anyone so I would not be to concerned. I use this method all the time and I apply a lot of pressure and never hurt any of my students.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 1:08pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    I have been Jiu-Jitsu for over 16 years and never heard of such an injury to anyone so I would not be to concerned. I use this method all the time and I apply a lot of pressure and never hurt any of my students.

We were always taught that the solar plexus was the target for KoB. The idea being to wear your opponent down. That being said I still use KoB across the waist/abs about half the time because I either don't want to be a jerk to my partner in class, or because I'm trying to induce something specific.

I also will switch to knee on neck if I do want to be a dick...

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first BJJ instructor, Marcos Cerqueira, used the knee spear on the solar plexus A LOT... In fact, his school logo is an image of him knee riding someone's chest.

He had the technique developed to such a degree that he was able to maintain complete control, while still using it as a pain-compliance technique and attack on your breathing. He was also a master of switching from knee to knee as you tried to hip escape out, also timed in such a way that each reapplication of the knee spear came as you were breathing out. It was brutal.

I try to do the same thing with my osaekomi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 10:35pm

Style: BJJ/MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I want to control and open up for another position I go for knee on belly.

If I want to just hulk smash I go knee on chest.

If I want to be brutal I go knee on head.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast