Posted On:
    4/22/2013 5:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    @Fox and others,
    Without the intent to completely derail this thread...
    There are more and more fighters going to train in both (Judo and Basically Just Judo) or at least dipping their feet in the water. Have you judo guys seen any changes in rules or interpretation there of? For instance how people let ground game roll or not? (I remember when I dabbled in Judo quite a while back, if you regained guard they reset you even though I wanted to attack further...)
    No, not that I can tell. The interpretation of progress was so bad for a long time it was hardly worth it to do anything unless you caught it cleanly during a transition. thankfully, that time has passed except for some refs who can't/won't get with the new way of doing things.

I think BJJ has made ne waza more popular overall though, and a lot of younger guys/gals are doing both, so they are much more aware of the possibilities on the ground.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 7:47pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Fox and others,
    There are more and more fighters going to train in both (Judo and Basically Just Judo) or at least dipping their feet in the water. Have you judo guys seen any changes in rules or interpretation there of? For instance how people let ground game roll or not? (I remember when I dabbled in Judo quite a while back, if you regained guard they reset you even though I wanted to attack further...)
    For the record I won the majority of my BJJ matches this way. They pull guard I just stood up in their guard, then they changed the rules.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 8:04am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a good, solid O Goshi Omegaette Jr did. Man, I wish I had a Judo dad growing up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 8:52pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Fox and others,
    There is also the Freestyle Judo rule set that seems more similar to Sambo rules (more groundwork, pinning for points ect) but its not a very widespread format. Certainly not anywhere as popular as IJF rules.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 3:31pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a freestyle tournament near Houston in September... Looks like a blast.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but Craig Fallon has a 6 or 8-part Tomoenage Master Class on judokafighter.com (and presumably youtube) where he breaks it down into some drilling type concepts. I know his collar-and-elbow entry that he favors won me the Brown Belt State Champs last year.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 8:03am

Style: sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe it's just me, but I think throwing to the side with the circle throw is actually a lot easier than throwing directly over yourself. As long as you fall to be perpendicular with the opponent it really breaks their base.

What kind of grips does she use before trying the throw?

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 5:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theAsthmatic View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I think throwing to the side with the circle throw is actually a lot easier than throwing directly over yourself. As long as you fall to be perpendicular with the opponent it really breaks their base.

What kind of grips does she use before trying the throw?
    I think going to the side works better for recovering guard if you manage to goof it up as well. Also its been my experience that people tend to circle you more than come right at you so learning that variation seems to make more sense to me overall.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    4/27/2013 7:14am

Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So Omega, how did it go with the throw?

Personally, I love tomoe nage, but found yoko to be easier to pull off. The regular throw does allow for a fairly easy transition into mount, as long as you hold your uke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/27/2013 11:04am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    So Omega, how did it go with the throw?

Personally, I love tomoe nage, but found yoko to be easier to pull off. The regular throw does allow for a fairly easy transition into mount, as long as you hold your uke.
    I just awarded her her 4th stripe on her white. She like Yoko but has yet to really understand it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 3:05am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yoko-tomoe nage is one of my go to throws and one of the few that has survived the change in rules. I like to do it by setting it up with a ko-uchi gari. After the sweep you plant the sweeping foot and pivot into the throw. If you do it convincingly enough the opponent will step the foot back which opens them up perfectly for the throw. You need to maintain good control of their arms and guide them down to stop them from cart-wheeling out.

If you don't get the throw you can also spin into a juji-gatame by bringing the non-planted leg up and switching your lapel grip to attack the arm. This was never my strong suit but I've seen it done quite effectively.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast