Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 11:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    I dunno about doing it with Dad. Tomoenage is one of those throws the kids always whip out to do against adults at things like belt award ceremonies, and the adults always obligingly take a spectactular dive. Even if you tell them the adults are helping, the takeaway for the kid is that they threw a big guy spectactularly with the throw and therefore it's a good throw for them.

As far as fun drills, sorry fresh out. If she insists on doing it make sure as CF said that she is swinging way in and basically planting her butt between uke's feet. One advantage of being 11 is not being afraid of that commitment - adults learning the throw are always hesitant to swing on in there.
    Which is why I don't teach it to kids in general, among other reasons. However, if she is going to do it might as well do it well. A good uke won't just take the fall if the throw isn't done reasonably well. I doubt there are many kids out there with that sort of sensitivitiy, so that leaves Dad or some other willing and sufficiently skilled adult to help out.

I used to be much more of a nazi about this kind of stuff, but it's not like Omega isn't a competent coach. I don't teach sutemi in our dojo to anyone under 15 usually, and only then if other they are competent at fundamentals and won't be just falling down in front of people because it's easy.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 12:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just cause someone has to say it - read the thread before replying.
    damn! i had read that post and forgotten about it. it was just that the spelling error is in the damn title so i see it fresh every time!
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 12:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    We used to try for a monkey throw on a failed tomonage. (both feet in the guts) You could drill that. It might get the kiddy in closer to make the monkey throw work
    If the Tomoe Nage fails (uke stops it), then it's ne waza and the "monkey throw" is't a throw, it's a reversal or "sweep". A lot depends on how much of a pause there is in the action.

The "two footed Tomoe Nage" is a recognized variation in Judo (can't remember the Japanese appellation for it, though). Other times you just use the other foot to catch uke as he tries to turn out of the throw.

LOL, I imagine Omega can come up with plenty of ne waza follow-ons to a failed Tomoe Nage.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 12:19pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just because I'm proud of her. Here's her last year at 10 throwing me if you haven't seen the video. She seems to take to the throws pretty well. I wish I had the one where she threw Yoko Tomoe Nage during a match. I had never shown her the throw.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 12:43pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    damn! i had read that post and forgotten about it. it was just that the spelling error is in the damn title so i see it fresh every time!
    Fixed.

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 1:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Just because I'm proud of her. Here's her last year at 10 throwing me if you haven't seen the video. She seems to take to the throws pretty well. I wish I had the one where she threw Yoko Tomoe Nage during a match. I had never shown her the throw.

That's awesome. My son trains BJJ but my daughter has no interest. Id love to see her doing stuff like that.

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 2:42pm

Style: JiuJistu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Fox and others,
    Without the intent to completely derail this thread...
    There are more and more fighters going to train in both (Judo and Basically Just Judo) or at least dipping their feet in the water. Have you judo guys seen any changes in rules or interpretation there of? For instance how people let ground game roll or not? (I remember when I dabbled in Judo quite a while back, if you regained guard they reset you even though I wanted to attack further...)

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 3:04pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Current judo rules are moving towards allowing more ground work to go. However it has to be active and show progression. If you pull guard either somebody needs to show some success attacking from within that position or the other guy has to show some progression in passing it, otherwise you'll get stood up.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 3:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you pull guard either somebody needs to show some success attacking from within that position or the other guy has to show some progression in passing it, otherwise you'll get stood up.
    In my experience, if both players want to stay on the ground and fight, the ref will probably let them fight. If even one of them decides he doesn't want to be there, he can get the matte pretty quickly and easily by either stalling out or standing up.

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 3:50pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    In my experience, if both players want to stay on the ground and fight, the ref will probably let them fight. If even one of them decides he doesn't want to be there, he can get the matte pretty quickly and easily by either stalling out or standing up.
    Standing up, yes. Stalling out, only insofar as he can prevent the other guy from making progress. If you've got a really good turtle that's pretty effective in doing that. I'm not very good at turning a good turtle, so I'll usually give it one shot and then let it go - not worth burning the energy frankly. But that's why it's so important to transition from tachi-waza to nage-waza - don't give the guy a chance to turtle up. If he doesn't like to be on the ground and I do, that's good for me.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast