Sponsored Links Spacer Image

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 11:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This paresthesia you are having is cause for serious concern. I would not have chiropractic manipulation when experiencing this type of sensation. You may have a damaged disc, and chiro will most likely make it worse.

I have had both nerve bruised and nerve impingement due to a disc. An MRI can tell you what you have going on in your neck. All Chiros tell people they have "Subluxations", if you find one you can trust then great, but since there is a chance of a disc injury, stay away.

my 2cents.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

MMA Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 11:29am

Style: Jazzercise

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On Mr.Mantis's comments:

caution is certainly indicated

that being said, have x-rays done

plenty of people w/disc damage have chiropractic done with success

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 2:49pm

Style: Traditional and Non-Traditional

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Much Love is right: not all chiros are equal. Try a few sessions. If there isn't a dramatic improvement, you should probably go to any orthopedic doctor or a neurologist.

As an MRI tech, I can't tell you how many patients I've had that have gotten worse going to a chiro that knows damn well that he is in over his head and have had some serious damage done. A good chiro, like any other good doctor, will know within a few sessions whether he should defer to an ortho or a neuro.

Just last week, I had a patient that had been in a car accident 3 months ago. Rather than going to an ortho, he went to a chiro. The whole time he was going, he was continuing to get worse. Rather than doing the right thing and referring him to an ortho, the chiro kept at it, saying that the ortho couldn't do anything that he couldn't. Well, when the patient finally got to the point where he could no longer walk and lost all bladder control. He went to an ortho, who ordered an emergency MRI. As it turned out, the patient had ruptured a disc, which was worsened by the chiro adjustments. There were actually pieces of the disc floating around in the spinal canal, and the spinal cord was compressed. He underwent emergency surgery the next day. This is a perfect example of certain chiros thinking that they can solve anything. I even had this same chiro tell me that he is the same as a medical doctor! A CHIRO IS NOT A MEDICAL DOCTOR!!! NOT EVEN CLOSE!!

game dog

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 3:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, thanks for all your advice and warnings. I'll let the chiro have a shot for a few sessions and see what that does.

I sincerely hope it's not disc damage, and that it can be fixed quickly. This is becoming more scary than I thought.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Loving Father

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 3:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Pinched nerve: perspectives?

Originally posted by Beatdown Richie
    I need some advice from you sports cripples out there... I've had a tingling feeling in my arm and numbness in my thumb for a couple of weeks now (on and off), and since it didn't seem to get any better, I finally saw a doctor.
    Can you recall any specific thing you did that may have caused this injury?

He did a few tests, said I probably had a pinched nerve in my neck, and recommended I don't move my neck a lot, eat a lot of Ibuprofen, and see him again in three weeks.

I was a little underwhelmed by that.
    In the doctor's defense, this is the 'safe'course of treatment. The IB is to make the swelling go down, so more can be seen (x-ray) or felt (pt). The rest was so you don't do anything (damaging) the doctor might be responsible for since you are under his care. The follow up will probably be pt (physical therapy).

Following a recommendation from my boss, I also consulted a chiropractor. He did some more tests and found half a dozen subluxated vertebrae
    Subluxation is the new "buzzword" in McChiropractors, today. Too many are reviving their practice by jumping on the bandwagon. . .I suggest a second opinion from another chiro.

(some in my neck, the rest in my back and pelvis area), and wrote up a treatment plan involving 20 sessions over 2 months.
    $$$. . .second opinion, please.

Can anyone who's had similar problems give me a perspective what a reasonable treatment for that kind of injury looks like?
    If you know of any physical therapists, go see one. In this area of sports medicine, the therapists usually can tell far more from an evaluation visit, than the doctor can from his "tests."

I had a very similar injury and diagnosis. However, after numerous tests, and (quick) fixes by the doctor, that didn't help at all, a therapist told me that I didn't have a pinched nerve she could find. I did, however, have a traction injury (and she proceeded to tell me exactly what position my arm, body, and head were in - without prior knowledge). After that, I improved quickly (with the proper treatment).

The first chiro I went to see (at the beginning of the doctor's visits) told me I had subluxation of 'this n that' and recommended a similar course of treatment to yours. I'm so glad I got a second opinion. The second chiro not only gave e a more realistic view of the injury, he explained the 'subluxation' groups point of view to treatments, and the pros and cons of going with that view. In my case, there were more unresolved questions for the subluxation route. So, I stuck with the 'old school chiropractic' treatment.

Thanks.
    Good Luck, bro'!

`~\
    Last edited by Meex; 4/30/2004 3:32pm at .

game dog

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 3:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meex: thanks for the advice.

> Can you recall any specific thing you did that may have caused this injury?
    I can recall getting neck-cranked (inadvertently) quite a few times around the time this started. And I can feel the vertebrae in my neck go "pop, pop" every once in a while when I move my neck, so a pinched nerve is not implausible.

> $$$. . .second opinion, please.
    yeah, but that would mean more $$$$. :(

> So, I stuck with the 'old school chiropractic' treatment.
    What's the old school approach like?

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 4:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, if you have radiating numbness or tingling in your arms please don't go to a chiropractor. Listen to the Ortho.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 4:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meex: thanks for the advice.

> Can you recall any specific thing you did that may have caused this injury?
    I can recall getting neck-cranked (inadvertently) quite a few times around the time this started. And I can feel the vertebrae in my neck go "pop, pop" every once in a while when I move my neck, so a pinched nerve is not implausible.
    Sound like it. Did they do an ultrasound of your neck are? MRI?

I think pt and massage are probably going to be the best for you. . .and, lessened physical activity. During the initial stages of recovery I went to pt three times a week, and did the recommended exercises at least and hour, 3x per day. A little extreme, but it beat sitting around waching tv.

> $$$. . .second opinion, please.
    yeah, but that would mean more $$$$. :(
    I found a few chiropractors here with a free initial visit/evaluations.

> So, I stuck with the 'old school chiropractic' treatment.
    What's the old school approach like?
    Spinal realignment, massages w/ultrasound muscle stimulation, some pt stretches for the neck (very easily done, almost no stress on the spine). He also stretched out my upper and lower back, to further stretch the neck area indirectly.

(F.Y.I. Many of the 'subluxation' practicioners subscribe to the idea that all diseases can be cured with proper alignment and care of the sublexed muscle structures. true, or not, I don't know.)

`~\

game dog

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 4:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    > Sound like it. Did they do an ultrasound of your neck are? MRI?
    The chiropractor did some x-rays, the MD did nothing of that sort - he poked around a bit, checked reflexes, checked arm and hand strength, and that was it.

I guess I'll give my physical therapist a call...

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/01/2004 2:25am

supporting member
     Style: Hsing-I, Taiji

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Posted by Beatdown Richie: Zenman: Any success in relieving the problem yet?
    I've had two sessions of myofascial release but mostly teach my wife to do a little Zen Shiatsu on my neck. It's a lot better; some days no tingling at all in my arm
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast