Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cuddleton
    Posts
    410
    Style
    being a fatty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    how beginner friendly is mma

    Been lurking most of the time. I was wondering how viable mma would be for an absolute beginner and if it would be better to start of with another style before jumping into the Borg collective that is mma.

    I've got this friend who is interested, but I personally feel that having general mma class would give you some very good basics, but would ultimately miss out on a lot of finesse required to jump you to competition level or leave some aspects of your game out. (Almost like being spread too thin)

    But then I also recognize that mma fighters train to fight mma fighters who are arguably the best in the world. Therefore wouldn't mma training be the best?

    Of course I recognize that I'm a noob so take it easy fellas. I plan on joining mma once this last wrestling season ends.

  2. #2
    gregaquaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    2,902
    Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah good.

    We do lots of high percentage basics to make up for the increase in stuff you have to know. I would prefer to do basics anyway. I am not that fancy.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

  3. #3
    Fuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,202
    Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably depends on the gym.

    What works for us (in that it wins our guys fights) is as Greg said, plenty of high percentage basics.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cuddleton
    Posts
    410
    Style
    being a fatty
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you guys think drilling just high percentage basics is better than branching out or starting with a different style?

    I suppose I'd agree, but flying knees, certain elbows, even jumping spinning back kicks have all found use in competition and just because they aren't high percentage doesn't mean they aren't viable. (Or fun!)

    Basically my worry would be that sticking to just mma cause it's the most effective could leave much to be desired in other aspects.

    Though that argument is flawed since one could just practice, say, judo after mma experience.

    Alright, thanks guys.

  5. #5
    ermghoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    3,318
    Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    So you guys think drilling just high percentage basics is better than branching out or starting with a different style?

    I suppose I'd agree, but flying knees, certain elbows, even jumping spinning back kicks have all found use in competition and just because they aren't high percentage doesn't mean they aren't viable. (Or fun!)
    One does not exclude the other. Heel-toeing around a corner is fun, but a beginner needs to be taught to check the mirrors and signal before pulling out from the curb.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Basically my worry would be that sticking to just mma cause it's the most effective could leave much to be desired in other aspects.

    Though that argument is flawed since one could just practice, say, judo after mma experience.
    Yes.
    "Your body must be like a stone, your mind... like a meatloaf."

    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.

  6. #6
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    10,262
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Probably depends on the gym.

    What works for us (in that it wins our guys fights) is as Greg said, plenty of high percentage basics.
    That's the way I see Judo training as well..regardless of the "art" basics are most important.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  7. #7
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    10,262
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    So you guys think drilling just high percentage basics is better than branching out or starting with a different style?

    I suppose I'd agree, but flying knees, certain elbows, even jumping spinning back kicks have all found use in competition and just because they aren't high percentage doesn't mean they aren't viable. (Or fun!)

    Basically my worry would be that sticking to just mma cause it's the most effective could leave much to be desired in other aspects.

    Though that argument is flawed since one could just practice, say, judo after mma experience.

    Alright, thanks guys.
    You have to have something to build upon in order to do higher level technique. MMA incorporates grappling (standing and ground), striking, and transitions(s) between them. That's a lot on any beginner's plate. Just the grappling in Judo is a LOT on any beginners plate to absorb, and takes 3-5 years, just depending on the amount of practice, quality of instruction, and athletic talent.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  8. #8
    gregaquaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    2,902
    Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    So you guys think drilling just high percentage basics is better than branching out or starting with a different style?

    I suppose I'd agree, but flying knees, certain elbows, even jumping spinning back kicks have all found use in competition and just because they aren't high percentage doesn't mean they aren't viable. (Or fun!)

    Basically my worry would be that sticking to just mma cause it's the most effective could leave much to be desired in other aspects.

    Though that argument is flawed since one could just practice, say, judo after mma experience.

    Alright, thanks guys.
    You would do MMA because that is what you enjoy. Like any other martial art.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

  9. #9
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,839
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A background in another art will likely require some rewiring later on when switching to MMA, so I think its okay to start with MMA and make gradual progress.

  10. #10
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,822
    -1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Been lurking most of the time. I was wondering how viable mma would be for an absolute beginner and if it would be better to start of with another style before jumping into the Borg collective that is mma.

    I've got this friend who is interested, but I personally feel that having general mma class would give you some very good basics, but would ultimately miss out on a lot of finesse required to jump you to competition level or leave some aspects of your game out. (Almost like being spread too thin)

    But then I also recognize that mma fighters train to fight mma fighters who are arguably the best in the world. Therefore wouldn't mma training be the best?

    Of course I recognize that I'm a noob so take it easy fellas. I plan on joining mma once this last wrestling season ends.
    MMA is like a swiss army knife compared to a garage full of tools, traditional MA.

    You can learn so many basics in MMA so quickly, you get to spend the other 99.99% of the time perfecting them. MMA is like TMA-Lite, but not in a bad way, a streamline engineered way. MMA goes places TMAs can have a hard time fitting in to, because MMA is precise. The goal in MMA is to train so you can fight.

    The goal (in theory) of many TMA is to build an entire lifestyle around a martial art, instead of focusing on application of that art to win in a battle (street OR sport). So there are MANY places to get lost along the way to learning how to fight...history...theory...legends...books....tool s....

    What Permalost says is true but as far as wiring...let me tell you I fear someone who can casually switch between MMA AND Mantis Boxing than I do someone who JUST trains MMA or Mantis separately.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO