230698 Bullies, 4143 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 18
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    There's not enough words to describe my existence.

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    8,449

    Posted On:
    7/03/2014 3:58pm

    supporting member
     Style: 

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    How to Introduce Your 7 Year Old to BJJ

    So tonight, after many test runs, discussions, and observed classes, and even visual approval from the wife that the level of contact is OK... I will be signing up my youngest for BJJ lessons in the 7-12 age class.

    As someone who maintains what some consider unreasonably high standards for martial arts instruction, I've waited a long time to find an instructor that a) I would trust with my boy and b) teaches an art I think he could handle at his age, I settled on....you guess it my own BJJ school, where I am having a great time learning both sports AND traditional methods. The best of both worlds.

    Having had at least a couple dozen arguments with my wife over the poor quality of martial arts schools in the area and around the globe (I'm easy to set off on a lecture about this whenever she shows me a coupon for free classes at the local karate schools), I finally had her watch a class. She winced, raised eyebrows, but ultimately found the idea of grade schoolers learning to grip fight and grapple cute and minimally acceptable.

    To date, I've only taught my youngest some basic kung fu strengthening routines and of course, he's had a basic exposure to boxing from actual coaches to the point where he's got a nice little jab.

    The post of this post...we cannot train together at class, because there is no interaction between the two age groups.

    So, what kind of basic stuff can be practice together at home? I have been wrestling with this boy for many years now like any good father should. He considers himself to be a ninja already due to watching a lot of TMNT, something I'm trying to fix with real martial arts.

    Taking it slow and careful here...anybody suggest any good home routines or drills for kids and dads?

    Any thoughts are welcome.
  2. BKR is offline
    BKR's Avatar

    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    4,940

    Posted On:
    7/03/2014 4:59pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    So tonight, after many test runs, discussions, and observed classes, and even visual approval from the wife that the level of contact is OK... I will be signing up my youngest for BJJ lessons in the 7-12 age class.

    As someone who maintains what some consider unreasonably high standards for martial arts instruction, I've waited a long time to find an instructor that a) I would trust with my boy and b) teaches an art I think he could handle at his age, I settled on....you guess it my own BJJ school, where I am having a great time learning both sports AND traditional methods. The best of both worlds.

    Having had at least a couple dozen arguments with my wife over the poor quality of martial arts schools in the area and around the globe (I'm easy to set off on a lecture about this whenever she shows me a coupon for free classes at the local karate schools), I finally had her watch a class. She winced, raised eyebrows, but ultimately found the idea of grade schoolers learning to grip fight and grapple cute and minimally acceptable.

    To date, I've only taught my youngest some basic kung fu strengthening routines and of course, he's had a basic exposure to boxing from actual coaches to the point where he's got a nice little jab.

    The post of this post...we cannot train together at class, because there is no interaction between the two age groups.

    So, what kind of basic stuff can be practice together at home? I have been wrestling with this boy for many years now like any good father should. He considers himself to be a ninja already due to watching a lot of TMNT, something I'm trying to fix with real martial arts.

    Taking it slow and careful here...anybody suggest any good home routines or drills for kids and dads?

    Any thoughts are welcome.
    Let the instructor instruct. You just be Dad. Wait for him to get some time under his belt and then maybe you can help him with what the instructor has taught him. It could be a great thing for you to have in common if you handle it correctly.

    My boys refuse to take judo from me, so far. Probably a good thing, too.
    Falling for Judo since 1980
  3. Chili Pepper is offline
    Chili Pepper's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,233

    Posted On:
    7/03/2014 8:19pm


     Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Taking it slow and careful here...anybody suggest any good home routines or drills for kids and dads?
    Here's a fun wrestling drill, suitable for two kids (or a parent and child). Sit on the floor, back to back. At the sound of the bell, you have to try and wrestle a sock off of your opponent's foot.
  4. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,770

    Posted On:
    7/03/2014 10:14pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Teach him the basic BJJ positional hierarchy. Then when he gets a chance to roll he won't be completely clueless about what he's trying to accomplish.
  5. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    There's not enough words to describe my existence.

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    8,449

    Posted On:
    7/03/2014 10:31pm

    supporting member
     Style: 

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Let the instructor instruct. You just be Dad. Wait for him to get some time under his belt and then maybe you can help him with what the instructor has taught him. It could be a great thing for you to have in common if you handle it correctly.

    My boys refuse to take judo from me, so far. Probably a good thing, too.
    Yeah absolutely I have no intention to try to instruct him on anything until we're both well along.

    By basic stuff I mean warmups and exercises and fun drills that will support his training. Also strength building exercises, but appropriate for a second grader. Iron body contortion exercises are out for now.

    The schools have started more at-home PE work assignments, like planking etc. But the kids find that stuff very boring (so do I).

    One idea I had was bearcrawl and crabwalk races, and other stuff that I usually feel awkward with might be something he'd have a lot of fun with.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/03/2014 10:43pm at .
  6. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    There's not enough words to describe my existence.

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    8,449

    Posted On:
    7/03/2014 10:42pm

    supporting member
     Style: 

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Teach him the basic BJJ positional hierarchy. Then when he gets a chance to roll he won't be completely clueless about what he's trying to accomplish.
    I have real hopes for this kid. He like martial arts a lot but unfortunately it's from a combo of play-sparring with me, watching TMNT, and this show on Disney called "Kickin It". I'm kind of on a mission to keep him having fun but also teach him about bullshido and alive training from a young age, without ruining his childhood. I think if ninjas are good for anything, its entertaining kids, so I won't destroy that fantasy...yet.

    For the last year or so my kids have gotten so into TMNT (the newest version, which I think it way better than the 80s version) that my youngest is now repeating things in the show including the Japanese names for techniques. That is pretty fucking awesome.

    He knows terms like "Kunoichi" and "seoinage". He invented a kung fu style of his own he calls "wolf style" which involves serious face and claws, right before he throws a left hook at my body and connects. My wife says "it's not nice to hit daddy" and he quips back "but mom he has iron body kung fu!"

    My little southpaw who is a little too confident for his own good. This is why I think it's time for a real martial art. God forbid he comes home one day..."Dad, I've joined the Bujinkan". I'll have a heart attack.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/03/2014 10:48pm at .
  7. ermghoti is offline
    ermghoti's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    2,257

    Posted On:
    7/04/2014 9:55am


     Style: BJJ+Sanda

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take turns at doing shrimps, buttscoot, forward roll from and to base, and Superman across the floor.

    Bridge, pivot onto the belly on the outside shoulder, push-up, arch up, forward roll onto the back, repeat. Or whatever, just get some bridging in there. Shrimp across the floor, bridge and roll, Superman back.

    Pull ups grasping a gi hung over a bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
  8. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    There's not enough words to describe my existence.

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    8,449

    Posted On:
    7/04/2014 11:50am

    supporting member
     Style: 

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm what is this "Superman". I don't think I know that one.

    Name dropping techniques of superheroes...this is what I am going for. That's right up his alley.

    I checked around YT for the "Superman" but all I find are guard pass techniques and Kai Woods videos.

    Is it just a slide on the floor with fists forward?
  9. ermghoti is offline
    ermghoti's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    2,257

    Posted On:
    7/04/2014 9:18pm


     Style: BJJ+Sanda

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's more of a swimming move from prone. Reach forward (the Super part, I guess), pressure on palms, and drag one's self forward while keeping the collarbones on or just off the mat.

    I couldn't find any examples either, so it's probably just a my-gym-thing. However, YT does seem to have a
    fountain of solo drills, I started here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIbGOBBqOPs and then hit the related links. Found about 20 drills I should start doing until I have enough properly functioning parts to get back to training.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
  10. BKR is offline
    BKR's Avatar

    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    4,940

    Posted On:
    7/05/2014 4:54pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Yeah absolutely I have no intention to try to instruct him on anything until we're both well along.

    By basic stuff I mean warmups and exercises and fun drills that will support his training. Also strength building exercises, but appropriate for a second grader. Iron body contortion exercises are out for now.

    The schools have started more at-home PE work assignments, like planking etc. But the kids find that stuff very boring (so do I).

    One idea I had was bearcrawl and crabwalk races, and other stuff that I usually feel awkward with might be something he'd have a lot of fun with.
    Does he have a bike ? Do you have a trampoline? How about at swingset, monkey bars, stuff like that, and friends to play with?

    I don't know your living situation, but those things are what my kids did and do, and didn't need any special training from me. Swim lessons are good, especially the graduated program offered by the Red Cross. I've found the program (in Canada, at least) to be superb. Both my boys are excellent swimmers because of it.

    Kids need lots of general exercise, then the more specialized BJJ or whatever training is icing on the cake.

    Of course, if you live in some **** hole of a city in Jersey, your options may be more limited.
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.