Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2014 9:52pm

Style: being a fatty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

how beginner friendly is mma

Been lurking most of the time. I was wondering how viable mma would be for an absolute beginner and if it would be better to start of with another style before jumping into the Borg collective that is mma.

I've got this friend who is interested, but I personally feel that having general mma class would give you some very good basics, but would ultimately miss out on a lot of finesse required to jump you to competition level or leave some aspects of your game out. (Almost like being spread too thin)

But then I also recognize that mma fighters train to fight mma fighters who are arguably the best in the world. Therefore wouldn't mma training be the best?

Of course I recognize that I'm a noob so take it easy fellas. I plan on joining mma once this last wrestling season ends.

Posted On:
    8/28/2014 10:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah good.

We do lots of high percentage basics to make up for the increase in stuff you have to know. I would prefer to do basics anyway. I am not that fancy.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2014 4:06am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably depends on the gym.

What works for us (in that it wins our guys fights) is as Greg said, plenty of high percentage basics.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2014 4:45am

Style: being a fatty

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you guys think drilling just high percentage basics is better than branching out or starting with a different style?

I suppose I'd agree, but flying knees, certain elbows, even jumping spinning back kicks have all found use in competition and just because they aren't high percentage doesn't mean they aren't viable. (Or fun!)

Basically my worry would be that sticking to just mma cause it's the most effective could leave much to be desired in other aspects.

Though that argument is flawed since one could just practice, say, judo after mma experience.

Alright, thanks guys.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2014 6:23am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    So you guys think drilling just high percentage basics is better than branching out or starting with a different style?

I suppose I'd agree, but flying knees, certain elbows, even jumping spinning back kicks have all found use in competition and just because they aren't high percentage doesn't mean they aren't viable. (Or fun!)
    One does not exclude the other. Heel-toeing around a corner is fun, but a beginner needs to be taught to check the mirrors and signal before pulling out from the curb.

Basically my worry would be that sticking to just mma cause it's the most effective could leave much to be desired in other aspects.

Though that argument is flawed since one could just practice, say, judo after mma experience.
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/29/2014 10:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Probably depends on the gym.

What works for us (in that it wins our guys fights) is as Greg said, plenty of high percentage basics.
    That's the way I see Judo training as well..regardless of the "art" basics are most important.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/29/2014 10:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Alright, thanks guys.
    You have to have something to build upon in order to do higher level technique. MMA incorporates grappling (standing and ground), striking, and transitions(s) between them. That's a lot on any beginner's plate. Just the grappling in Judo is a LOT on any beginners plate to absorb, and takes 3-5 years, just depending on the amount of practice, quality of instruction, and athletic talent.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    8/29/2014 11:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Alright, thanks guys.
    You would do MMA because that is what you enjoy. Like any other martial art.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/29/2014 12:19pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A background in another art will likely require some rewiring later on when switching to MMA, so I think its okay to start with MMA and make gradual progress.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    8/29/2014 4:11pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Been lurking most of the time. I was wondering how viable mma would be for an absolute beginner and if it would be better to start of with another style before jumping into the Borg collective that is mma.

I've got this friend who is interested, but I personally feel that having general mma class would give you some very good basics, but would ultimately miss out on a lot of finesse required to jump you to competition level or leave some aspects of your game out. (Almost like being spread too thin)

But then I also recognize that mma fighters train to fight mma fighters who are arguably the best in the world. Therefore wouldn't mma training be the best?

Of course I recognize that I'm a noob so take it easy fellas. I plan on joining mma once this last wrestling season ends.
    MMA is like a swiss army knife compared to a garage full of tools, traditional MA.

You can learn so many basics in MMA so quickly, you get to spend the other 99.99% of the time perfecting them. MMA is like TMA-Lite, but not in a bad way, a streamline engineered way. MMA goes places TMAs can have a hard time fitting in to, because MMA is precise. The goal in MMA is to train so you can fight.

The goal (in theory) of many TMA is to build an entire lifestyle around a martial art, instead of focusing on application of that art to win in a battle (street OR sport). So there are MANY places to get lost along the way to learning how to fight...history...theory...legends...books....tool s....

What Permalost says is true but as far as wiring...let me tell you I fear someone who can casually switch between MMA AND Mantis Boxing than I do someone who JUST trains MMA or Mantis separately.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast