Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/30/2013 4:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I'd like to see how he plays push hands.
    Yes so would I.
    If he's still based in London I could go say hello. I know the 24 has a poor rep with some people but there is actually some good stuff in it.

Posted On:
    5/31/2013 3:03am

Style: Dutch KB / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do internal arts to

I don't do them every day though and I like doing them for recreational purposes and I guess it has helped me :)

(3-0 amateur mma)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2013 6:01am

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    Yes so would I.
    If he's still based in London I could go say hello. I know the 24 has a poor rep with some people but there is actually some good stuff in it.
    I like the 24. I use it as a warm up / warm down form.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/31/2013 9:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezmond View Post
    I like the 24. I use it as a warm up / warm down form.
    Same. Been teaching it for years as well, it can be a good introduction to taiji imo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2013 9:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aptly enough, we spent the whole evening on 24 today. It was the third form I learned so I've only been practicing it for maybe 3 years. I'm getting a lot from it. As its so short, you can really focus on correct form.

With the longer forms I can get a bit sloppy as you know you have to conserve energy to get the whole way through. I'm trying to bring the same sort of diligence to my Chen and my Wu but it's bloody hard.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/31/2013 9:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aptly enough, we spent the whole evening on 24 today. It was the third form I learned so I've only been practicing it for maybe 3 years. I'm getting a lot from it. As its so short, you can really focus on correct form.

With the longer forms I can get a bit sloppy as you know you have to conserve energy to get the whole way through. I'm trying to bring the same sort of diligence to my Chen and my Wu but it's bloody hard.
    Yeah thats true. If beginers see a full length long form it can be a bit daunting as so much is required within each movement alone never mind a whole long sequence of them. Demo the 24 and they generally think 'i can do that', teach a simple recipe before moving onto the gastro stuff seems to work.

I am going to be learning a Chen form soon, but its probably going to be one of the competition forms, not sure which one, lots of 'spiralling' stuff and explosive movements. Whats your opinion on those?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2013 11:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    I am going to be learning a Chen form soon, but its probably going to be one of the competition forms, not sure which one, lots of 'spiralling' stuff and explosive movements. Whats your opinion on those?
    I'm no taiji scholar, so anyone feel free to correct me...

The Chen forms I've learned are the ones straight from Chen Fake, so there's far less spirally stuff. I believe that was developed later. My sifu is pretty dismissive of them and I don't really know enough about them to comment.

The second, "cannon fist" Chen form has a lot more "explosive movements". The hardest thing I find is to do a really dynamic form like that and not get too "external". I know when I'm doing it wrong as I get comments like "Ha hah ha - shaolin!"

I've got a video of him doing it - I'll try and upload it over the weekend. No spirally, spirally, spirals, no ostentatious fajin...

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/31/2013 12:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm no taiji scholar, so anyone feel free to correct me...

The Chen forms I've learned are the ones straight from Chen Fake, so there's far less spirally stuff. I believe that was developed later. My sifu is pretty dismissive of them and I don't really know enough about them to comment.

The second, "cannon fist" Chen form has a lot more "explosive movements". The hardest thing I find is to do a really dynamic form like that and not get too "external". I know when I'm doing it wrong as I get comments like "Ha hah ha - shaolin!"

I've got a video of him doing it - I'll try and upload it over the weekend. No spirally, spirally, spirals, no ostentatious fajin...
    I think this form is a combination of 'Laojia' and the cannon fist one. I have been taught that 'fajin' should only be expressed when it feels natural and unforced. I study Wu/Hao primarily which is supposed to have come from a small frame style of Chen which had very tight small circles. In our form of Hao the 'spiral' movements are almost invisible and seem almost implied rather than explicit.

We are doing the Chen one just to change things up in the class, unfortunately most of the students are pretty casual about learning taiji, they get to a point where they could be going deeper into the style but just don't have it in them to apply themselves and get it!

Most who come just want a bit of light excercise..fair enough I suppose.

Would like to see that video.

Posted On:
    5/31/2013 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's plenty of spiral in FaKe's stuff. It's tight, tiny spiraling, which is what allows for the fajin. The cannon fist just trains more fajin—you can fajin virtually every move in the first form as well, once you get it down.

Anyway, the fighter turned IMA guy has a sanshou background, so I presume he isn't a late convert to tai chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2013 1:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    There's plenty of spiral in FaKe's stuff. It's tight, tiny spiraling, which is what allows for the fajin. The cannon fist just trains more fajin�you can fajin virtually every move in the first form as well, once you get it down.
    Do you know what I mean though? Sometimes I watch a Chen form and I don't know what the hell's going on as there are so many "extra" movements. Is that "new frame"?

Resonance - I'm trying to make a vimeo account so I can upload a video, but it's proving a bit of a pain in the arse. Bear with me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast