Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 12:32pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    The standard TKD hoshinsul curriculum, and that seen in the Turtle Press books, is not what I would recommend for self-defense. I have the Turtle Press book. Some of it is decent, some of it is questionable, but none of it is alive. Without an alive delivery system, you won't develop the ability to pull off any of those techniques.?
    Haven't seen a lot of books on the subject. There is one called "A Killing Art: The Untold Story of Tae Kwon Do", but it feels like a weird conspiratorial narrative. Won't be picking up the poomse books as well. I sent you a pm, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    Is there any other reason to do Taekwondo?
    So Taekwondo is the martial art that hot chicks choose? Always had this impression they'd go for Wing Chun or the Chinese martial arts. Good to know!

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 1:01pm

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Corum Irsei View Post
    So Taekwondo is the martial art that hot chicks choose?
    That's not what he said. Read his words again.

Always had this impression they'd go for Wing Chun or the Chinese martial arts.
    Why is that?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 4:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    That's not what he said. Read his words again.
    That you take Taekwondo to see hot chicks? Sorry, really don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Why is that?
    Because Chinese Kung-fu, in general, looks fluid... and with girls being naturally graceful, I'd assume they'd be more attracted to it. Also, I have 2 female friends who take up Wing Chun.

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 11:46am

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That you take Taekwondo to see hot chicks? Sorry, really don't get it.
    Read it again then until you get it.

Because Chinese Kung-fu, in general, looks fluid... and with girls being naturally graceful, I'd assume they'd be more attracted to it. Also, I have 2 female friends who take up Wing Chun.
    Girls are not naturally graceful.

Wing Chun is definitely not graceful.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2013 12:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Small update. So far, I am making significant progress with my kicks and punches. The bag helps a lot on my off-days, as it gives me something to focus on. Instructor says that I need to work on my speed for the kicks and precision, because I mostly go out of target, with my back and turning-back kicks. He also told me to work on my power for my punches and keeps telling me not to tense my shoulders when I prepare to deliver them. Will doing pushups as an exercise help me develop the power in my punches (apart from the proper technique) or will I be better off doing time with the bag?

We will also be sparring soon and we are being prepared for it. 2 questions though: 1. There is a substitute instructor who will be with us for 3 months because the junior TKD instructor had to go on leave because his wife is giving birth. Anyway, this new instructor teaches a bit differently from the senior instructor. For one, the senior instructor always tells us to keep our guard up when sparring and doesn't hesistate to hit us on the temple with the kickpad when our guard is down. The sub teaches us to relax our guard and just keep it at the sides, but ready. He says it is to conserve energy. Is it ok to tell him that I prefer to keep my guard up or is it ok to bring this up with the senior instructor (if so, how do I do it without making him look bad)?
    2. As soon as we are comfortable sparring with one another, the senior instructor says that he will bring 1 or 2 of his black belt students to go at it with us. As a white belt going on yellow, anything I should look out for? And is it ok to go all-out?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234