Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2013 9:12am

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post

Oh boy........
    He even uses the term 'tricks' himself..tricks work by limiting without seeming to possible outcomes, which is all he is doing.

He calls his style a science!

I left this comment:

resonance10 1 second ago

What does this video actually prove? Its point has escaped me..positional advantage works but the powerlifter is just doing what you tell him so its not proof of anything other than he's nice enough to let you do it.
    Last edited by Resonance10; 4/21/2013 9:19am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2013 10:07am

Style: Seidokaikan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having spent over a decade in the company of gray-haired Isshinryu black belts, I can tell you that many of them (and possibly the guy in the OP video) are champions of what I'll call "gesture fighting." He expected to pop a light kick up and which point it was the responsibility of the receiver of the kick to acknowledge the kick by pretending it landed with bone-crushing force. Touching the WC fatty was supposed to inspire him to say, "Oh no! You got me!" instead of what happened. The pro wrestling analogy in this thread was apt because krottyka use roughly the same acting skills.

I see this all the time in krotty schools. They'll pull a kick three inches short of your kneecap and say, "Broke your knee right there. Fight's over." Or they'll wave an open hand in front of your face, "Eyes are gone." If you decide not to play the game and just punch the guy instead, everyone present will look down on you for not following the rules and explain that if it had been "for real" you'd already be dead. I've seen a lot of the same behavior in kenpo schools too.

I'll tell you the truth as a karate black belt myself though: That WC guy is pretty damn big. I think with footwork and leg kicks and enough open space I could probably take him if I didn't screw up and end up under him, but if he started close and decided to push me through the wall behind me without warning that's probably just about how the fight would go. It doesn't have anything to do with Chun working or not working though.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2013 11:08am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Resonance10;2773737
    I left this comment:
    What does this video actually prove? Its point has escaped me..positional advantage works but the powerlifter is just doing what you tell him so its not proof of anything other than he's nice enough to let you do it.
    [/QUOTE]

His reply:

Reply to your comment on: PROOF WING CHUN WORKS AGAINST POWERLIFTERS SEE TO BELIEVE.mp4
    let me put it to you this way if you put up a video to explain a concept and in a few months u get over 225,000views then u look at the ratings which present day 767 people agree with this whereas 88 dont- what does this mean that basicaly everyday in 6 months I get 3 moronic remarks like yours ok?so far so good?if you dont have the brain power to understand or research yourself,or if you cant get off ur ass to find the answers Im only going to answer in this manner coz Im not ur psychiatrist :)
    I tried to reply and what do you know I'm blocked! I am flattered!

Posted On:
    4/21/2013 3:05pm

Style: FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    His reply:

I tried to reply and what do you know I'm blocked! I am flattered!
    I think you could have made your point a little less attacking, you might have actually gotten through to the guy. If you come off as cocky and attacking he will just assume you're a dick and go into defensive mode. I hate to sound like a hippy but a little manners and tact will go a long way and open up the dialogue for a meaningful discussion.

The response was a little defensive, but I don't really blame the guy. The guy in the video demonstrated that leverage principals work against a stronger person who is stationary. This is nothing new to martial artists though. The leverage principals may be in WC but they are in most martial arts too (judo, jiu jitsu, aikido, HKD, FMA ect.). If anything i'd call him on the title to the video; it's a little misleading but I suppose he worded it that way to get views, nothing wrong with that. I expected to see a WC guy fighting a powerlifter what I got was a run of the mill explanation for why wrist grab escapes are done a certain way. I don't see anything wrong with his explanations though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2013 4:27pm

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post

Oh boy........
    Didn't we just have a thread about this a few days ago? It didn't get very many replies, but it is still right down there. . .

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=120522

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    4/21/2013 4:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A charging bull with no horns will still knock you over.

The difference between "Dai Sahn" and a charging bull is the latter probably won't die of cardiac arrest immediately afterwards.

It also wasn't lost on me the "Black belt" was a string bean.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 8:11am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    I think you could have made your point a little less attacking, you might have actually gotten through to the guy. If you come off as cocky and attacking he will just assume you're a dick and go into defensive mode. I hate to sound like a hippy but a little manners and tact will go a long way and open up the dialogue for a meaningful discussion.

The response was a little defensive, but I don't really blame the guy. The guy in the video demonstrated that leverage principals work against a stronger person who is stationary. This is nothing new to martial artists though. The leverage principals may be in WC but they are in most martial arts too (judo, jiu jitsu, aikido, HKD, FMA ect.). If anything i'd call him on the title to the video; it's a little misleading but I suppose he worded it that way to get views, nothing wrong with that. I expected to see a WC guy fighting a powerlifter what I got was a run of the mill explanation for why wrist grab escapes are done a certain way. I don't see anything wrong with his explanations though.
    I know what your saying, I worded it that way because of the video title ( note I acknowledged the 'principals' were ok). If he had titled it 'Demo of leverage principals in WC' as you say it would be different. My reply was a roundabout way of saying the title sucks. However he wasn't just defensive he was offensive. He calls his 'art' a science and posts video's saying 'proof' he should defend his reasons for doing so..he didn't tho, he replied in a manner as dumb as his video title and then killed any chance of continueing a convo. I think you are being over generous about his reasons and he is being deliberately misleading, but then I'm an ex hippie..
    Last edited by Resonance10; 4/22/2013 8:14am at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 8:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    Didn't we just have a thread about this a few days ago? It didn't get very many replies, but it is still right down there. . .

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=120522
    Wrong link?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 9:07am

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's the right link. The thread was about a sort of performer, typically a petite woman, who would claim to have control of some kind of "force" which allowed her to effortlessly resist the efforts of strongmen to move her.

It seemed like more-or-less what was being shown in the video IiF posted.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 9:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    It's the right link. The thread was about a sort of performer, typically a petite woman, who would claim to have control of some kind of "force" which allowed her to effortlessly resist the efforts of strongmen to move her.

It seemed like more-or-less what was being shown in the video IiF posted.
    Gotcha, I will re-read the thread.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast