Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 10:36am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "You want to talk about fighting outside..."

followed by the human avalanche not fighting outside.

I don't think this was a big deal, etiquette wise. After the first time, the karateka says, "Let's do it again."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 11:12am

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seemed like the question was about how Wing Chun closes with opponents who are trying to keep distance, more than how it actually fights from greater ranges.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 11:17am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, all of his fights involve standing around, stopping to insert text of what's "really going on", explain how he's being the honorable one, put words in other people's mouths and slow motion replays with fanciful descriptions. Observe:

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 11:18am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    "You want to talk about fighting outside..."

followed by the human avalanche not fighting outside.
    Yep and when karateka said "don't you needed to close the gap to use chun" we get "Nope, Bullshit" and then the chunner proceeded to close the gap.

Yes, I know there was some selective editing, which is why the video bothers me, but I thought that was pretty funny.

I don't think this was a big deal, etiquette wise. After the first time, the karateka says, "Let's do it again."
    The second time was deserved.

Edit:
    There we go, his videos are edited in his favor. Thanks permalost.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 4/18/2013 11:22am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 1:57pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic
    You wouldn't agree he was some kind of plant/heel, then?
    Not sure what "plant/heel" means; sorry for my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Miyagi View Post
    Ok, you're not right. Difference is, he could put you in an RNC and slowly squeeze it so you could feel what it's like, and then you could 'paw' around his face all you want as long as you go to sleep.
    Now I'm realizing that I sounded like I was defending the WC instructor in my last post. Sure, I'm one of the CMA guys here, and my post definitely didn't have much good to say about the karate man either. Don't get me wrong, the WHOLE VIDEO is an ego trip for the WC instructor. It wouldn't surprise me if the WC guy was taking his pride far too far with the whole thing. Perhaps the so-called black belt WAS being fully respectful, and WC man was trying to look good for the others there. We don't know. I'm just adding my two cents about this foolish video, and that is that the karate man appeared to have no respect for what the WC instructor was teaching. If you have no interest in what WC is like, or just want to challenge a WC person, why attend a seminar, especially if you had to pay good money?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 2:07pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by csharp.negative View Post
    No worries. The term "heel" is originally from Professional Wrestling and similarly "worked" fighting, and is used to describe the fighter/wrestler who is scripted to be the villain or bad-guy.

"Plant" just means someone who was told to be in a given place at a given time, really. In this case, it would mean that the karateka was planted at the seminar by Sifu Shannon so that he would have someone from "another style" to challenge him. Or something like that.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 2:10pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A plant is a person in an audience that is in cahoots with the presenter but they act like he's not. EG an at-first skeptical person who comes around to loving your great product, or way of thinking, or someone that softballs you questions (I hear your product is great, but is it also fantastic?) or a fake thug that crumples when you put your hands on them, illustrating your martial prowess.

A heel is a pro wrestling bad guy. They cultivate animosity towards them because it makes the match seem more real and because everyone wants to see the heel get beat up by the good guy (the face). Basically a heel provides the conflict in the mini-drama they're staging, by ripping autograph books and laughing, pushing over old ladies, and telling the audience that he must be in their town cause all he sees is a bunch of hicks. The old ladies and kids would be plants in this scenario.

EDIT: oops, Eudemic beat me to it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 2:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I may have been faster, but you said it better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 2:18pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the explanations. I can definitely agree on that possibility, especially with the way the video promoted Sifu Shannon so much. However I can also believe that the karateka is just a jerk and was dumb enough to challenge (and fail miserably) in front of a bunch of other people.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 2:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the explanations. I can definitely agree on that possibility, especially with the way the video promoted Sifu Shannon so much. However I can also believe that the karateka is just a jerk and was dumb enough to challenge (and fail miserably) in front of a bunch of other people.
    I thought he took being hit in the face a few times quite good naturedly, i'm going with him being a 'plant'.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast