Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last

Style
    GKR/Shaolin/Capoeira/TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I am a 1st Kyu in GKR, AMA

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. Let me introduce myself. My real name will remain anonymous. However, I am a 1st Kyu student of Go Kan Ryu Karate. I live and train in Brisbane, Australia. I am 19 years old and have been training for 9 years. In case you're wondering, I am quite slow in terms of our style. Normally people reach their black belt in an average of 7 years.

I joined this forum after researching some things about my karate style. I have known for a while that GKR is somewhat frowned upon by other martial arts styles. I didn't really look into it any further until quite recently. I've since stumbled across numerous forum posts, articles, blogs and websites on the net which say a lot of very negative things about GKR.

May I just add that I have not come on here as an official representative of GKR, nor have I come on here to tell you those stories aren't true. However, what I have come on to do is to answer your questions, and hopefully, gain an understanding of the broader meta of the karate world as I do so.

I have seen a lot of forum posts which make a lot of assumptions about the way GKR is run. Most of these are true, but some of them don't have a full understanding of the way the club works. I am here to clarify, from my own experience, these assumptions. I thought those of you who are interested may find it useful to ask someone who is an actual practitioner of GKR.

I can answer questions about our technique, grading system, region structure, what we do in class, tournaments, and other general things about the style. What I CANNOT answer are questions about:
    1) Specific Senseis (I will not name any names, for the sake of confidentiality)

2) The business structure of the company (I am merely a student).

3) The way the company recruits salespeople (I am merely a student).

4) How senseis are instructed to teach (I am merely a student).

5) The training background of Robert Sullivan and Stacy Karetsian (I have not met them)

Sorry to drill that in, it's just that from all the negative things I've read about our style, most of the gripes I have found have come from people's experiences with GKR's recruiting process, an area which I know little about. I however was recruited to the style by one of the "door to door salespeople" many years ago so I can give an account of my experiences with them if necessary.

One other thing: I can only give you information from my personal experience in my particular area. GKR is a very large club, and things can differ greatly from region to region. My particular region is Region 10 in Queensland. This region represents the southside of Brisbane's suburbs. I can give you information related to my experiences in this region and the surrounding areas only. In particular I cannot address anything that has happened in the UK. From my readings I have found there seems to have been some very funny business conducted in GKR in the UK. Unfortunately that's something I know nothing about and can't help you there.

However in the interest of trying to clear the waters about the style, I am open to any and all questions. Please do not be silly/abusive with your questions. I have already read plenty of accusations of McDojo-ness and would like this to remain a friendly and civil conversation.

I look forward to answering your questions.

Regards,

1stKyuGKR

Style
    GKR/Shaolin/Capoeira/TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I am a 1st Kyu in GKR, AMA

NOTE: I also posted this thread in the Japanese styles subforum, however this forum seems somewhat appropriate as well. So, moderators, I apologise for the repost, but it felt appropriate.

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. Let me introduce myself. My real name will remain anonymous. However, I am a 1st Kyu student of Go Kan Ryu Karate. I live and train in Brisbane, Australia. I am 19 years old and have been training for 9 years. In case you're wondering, I am quite slow in terms of our style. Normally people reach their black belt in an average of 7 years.

I joined this forum after researching some things about my karate style. I have known for a while that GKR is somewhat frowned upon by other martial arts styles. I didn't really look into it any further until quite recently. I've since stumbled across numerous forum posts, articles, blogs and websites on the net which say a lot of very negative things about GKR.

May I just add that I have not come on here as an official representative of GKR, nor have I come on here to tell you those stories aren't true. However, what I have come on to do is to answer your questions, and hopefully, gain an understanding of the broader meta of the karate world as I do so.

I have seen a lot of forum posts which make a lot of assumptions about the way GKR is run. Most of these are true, but some of them don't have a full understanding of the way the club works. I am here to clarify, from my own experience, these assumptions. I thought those of you who are interested may find it useful to ask someone who is an actual practitioner of GKR.

I can answer questions about our technique, grading system, region structure, what we do in class, tournaments, and other general things about the style. What I CANNOT answer are questions about:
    1) Specific Senseis (I will not name any names, for the sake of confidentiality)

2) The business structure of the company (I am merely a student).

3) The way the company recruits salespeople (I am merely a student).

4) How senseis are instructed to teach (I am merely a student).

5) The training background of Robert Sullivan and Stacy Karetsian (I have not met them)

Sorry to drill that in, it's just that from all the negative things I've read about our style, most of the gripes I have found have come from people's experiences with GKR's recruiting process, an area which I know little about. I however was recruited to the style by one of the "door to door salespeople" many years ago so I can give an account of my experiences with them if necessary.

One other thing: I can only give you information from my personal experience in my particular area. GKR is a very large club, and things can differ greatly from region to region. My particular region is Region 10 in Queensland. This region represents the southside of Brisbane's suburbs. I can give you information related to my experiences in this region and the surrounding areas only. In particular I cannot address anything that has happened in the UK. From my readings I have found there seems to have been some very funny business conducted in GKR in the UK. Unfortunately that's something I know nothing about and can't help you there.

However in the interest of trying to clear the waters about the style, I am open to any and all questions. Please do not be silly/abusive with your questions. I have already read plenty of accusations of McDojo-ness and would like this to remain a friendly and civil conversation.

I look forward to answering your questions.

Regards,

1stKyuGKR

You have to work the look. supporting member
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you going to stay in the style?

Style
    being a fatty
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stKyuGKR View Post
    NOTE: I also posted this thread in the Japanese styles subforum, however this forum seems somewhat appropriate as well. So, moderators, I apologise for the repost, but it felt appropriate.
    You posted in MABS for upping your own style? Well, that's a new one.

Anywho, reposts are NEVER appropriate as you can ask mods to move them to the appropriate sections. They're very active and are more than willing to move a thread for you. They are also quite nice as long as you aren't full of crap and respect them.

Try to read the stickies on top of the forum, and lurk some more before posting. I trust that you have no idea what you mean by seeing a lot of negative air about GKR here just because you posted in what could quite possibly be the worst section of the forum to post this in. (Except Trollshido... maybe)

Go over to Newbietown to make an introduction and Gym/School Reviews if you want to review your school. Also, if you can only give your personal experiences (and not others), you're more biased than someone who's watched videos of training and analyzed it objectively.
    Newbietown
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64
    School Reviews
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83

@Crackfox, reading his post, I'd say that he's going to be staying in his style.

I am a 1st Kyu student of Go Kan Ryu Karate. I live and train in Brisbane, Australia. I am 19 years old and have been training for 9 years.
    I thought those of you who are interested may find it useful to ask someone who is an actual practitioner of GKR.
    "Train" is in present tense. "Is" is in present tense. Training for 9 years already, with that dedication, it'd be a waste to quit without good reason to. Because OP is defending GKR, it seems that there aren't good reasons to.

Style
    Taiji/Hsingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My real name will remain anonymous. However, I am a 1st Kyu student of Go Kan Ryu Karate.
    Right. We'll just take your word for it then..

You seem prepared to answer all the questions no one is asking.

What is a 1st Kyu student supposed to have attained, skill wise or competitively?

I am unfamiliar with Karate ranks in general and GKA's in particular so how far are you from a black belt?

Do you teach?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Resonance10; 3/23/2013 12:46pm at . Reason: ?

You have to work the look. supporting member
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    @Crackfox, reading his post, I'd say that he's going to be staying in his style.
    I didn't ask you the question.

Style
    being a fatty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    Right. We'll just take your word for it then..

You seem prepared to answer all the questions no one is asking.
    Well, I'll follow your lead.

Based on http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...Kan+Ryu+Karate

It seems that
    GKR focuses on non-contact point fighting and 'self-defense'. One online sensei has argued against full contact training asking 'Which would you prefer, to get beaten up a thousand times in training, or once in the street?'
    Is that true?

Do you believe that point sparring skills transfer to street fighting skills?
    What is your training based on? Shadow boxing? Bags? Sparring? Forms? Preset combinations?
    Do you use weapons? (Though Karate is "empty hand")
    How are you taught to fight? Stance, strategy, positioning, etc.

Looking up, it seems that it's actually Goju Ryu instead of Gokun Ryu? I'm finding nothing on Gokun Ryu.

Style
    Taiji/Hsingyi
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I remember correctly Cuddles it is supposed to be a mix of Goju ( Go ) and Shotokan ( Kan ) I was interviewed once for a position teaching this style. I know you didn't ask me! Hopefully 1stkyugkr will correct me if I'm off base.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    I was interviewed once for a position teaching this style.
    I have heard of people going into teaching disciplines that weren't their own style. So if they would have hired you to teach this, I presume there would be a brief period of training you to do it their way?!?!

I have been researching GKR and can't really find a lot about how the style trains.

Style
    Taiji/Hsingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    I have heard of people going into teaching disciplines that weren't their own style. So if they would have hired you to teach this, I presume there would be a brief period of training you to do it their way?!?!

I have been researching GKR and can't really find a lot about how the style trains.
    I was told that given my background I would pick the syllabus up quickly, I'd just go to a few classes and see how they were run and learn the forms along the way. It was a pyramid selling kinda deal iirc..long time ago.. I went along mainly because i smelled BS from the dude who knocked on my door. Not to try and big myself up but he went a bit pale and back peddled out of the door when I demoed some South Mantis.. I was honestly just curious because of the whole South Chinese - Okinawa styles connection. ( the reason for the demo ). I'd given my number and got a call.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last