Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 2:44pm

Style: American Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Modern Day Home Schooling

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    You home school too? Why? (or What made you make that decision?)
    This is our first year homeschooling. I was already staying home with my daughter and my son (step-son) would have started middle school this year. Honestly he gets a better education here imo. No need to throw him to the wolves and expose him to gangs, drugs alcohol ect. Frankly I think there's a bunch of political and cultural indoctrination that goes on in the public schools that I'd rather him not be brainwashed by, but that's a whole nother topic.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 3:07pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by karaterick View Post
    This is our first year homeschooling. I was already staying home with my daughter and my son (step-son) would have started middle school this year. Honestly he gets a better education here imo. No need to throw him to the wolves and expose him to gangs, drugs alcohol ect. Frankly I think there's a bunch of political and cultural indoctrination that goes on in the public schools that I'd rather him not be brainwashed by, but that's a whole nother topic.
    Same with my daughter. Almost the exact same reasons. Good to know. We should start a different thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 3:08pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by karaterick View Post
    Mild tangent, but sheltering children from the real world just leaves them unprepared to face it once they grow up and leave the house. Almost every person I know who was home schooled turned out to be almost incapable of adapting to life outside of the home.

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 3:22pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Almost every person I know who was home schooled turned out to be almost incapable of adapting to life outside of the home.
    My experience with home-schooled children is nearly exactly the opposite.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 3:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    My experience with home-schooled children is nearly exactly the opposite.
    Same here. Most well put together kids I have ever met. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Same with my daughter. Almost the exact same reasons. Good to know. We should start a different thread.
    Love it!

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 3:35pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mild tangent, but sheltering children from the real world just leaves them unprepared to face it once they grow up and leave the house. Almost every person I know who was home schooled turned out to be almost incapable of adapting to life outside of the home.
    Home schooling and isolating kids from society is not remotely the same thing, especially in the internet age where kids can socialize online 24 hours a day.

Home schooled kids play sports, go out, see movies, go to the mall, go to the park, take walks...etc.

They just don't go through the meat grinder we commonly refer to as the public education system.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 3:37pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!

LOL, my daughter drives, volunteers at the dog shelter and is around kids all day. Her education just comes from home. She wrote an essay describing her experience. None of this comes from me, as a matter of fact I didn't know some of this happened:

Public vs. Online School

What is the difference between an online school and a public school? There are lots of differences, but first; what are the similarities? One similarity are the electives; art, language, and music. Another similarity are the usual lessons and breaks. Though there are lots of similar qualities in both schools, there are a lot more differences.

One of the differences are the electives. In all three electives for online school, kids get more freedom to choose what they want to do. They can also take as much time as they need. But in public school, they’re limited to a couple options. Also, the rule “no child left behind “, comes into play, so everyone is held back from learning as much as they want.

Although lessons and breaks are taken in both public and online schools, the way they are done are quite different. In lessons for online school, students can go as fast or as slow as they need. For public school, kids have to go at the pace of the slowest student so everyone is at the same level. During breaks in the online school, students can use their time between lessons to finish homework, do optional lessons, take tests, read books, and much more. In public schools, kids are limited to playing, reading, or talking and teachers threaten to throw away a kid’s homework if they work on it during recess.

Overall, online school gives students the opportunity to go at their own pace, have more possibilities and all around feel freer. In public schools, kids have to stay with the class, have very limited possibilities and are not very free. In conclusion, the online school and public school are similar yet very, very different.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 3:41pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Our son is learning Latin and doing quit well. He can also draw by memory a map of every continent and name most of the countries and capitals of each as well as all name all of the states and capitals in the US. He is very well adapted socially and very active physically. He is also learning to play the mandolin. Pretty well rounded kid. Of course he trains in karate and boxing too! :)

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 3:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We home schooled for a year, it was great. Although the home school program we where in was a little bit different it was tied to a public montessori school where my Daughter went to school Two days of the week (well really 1 1/2) and we home schooled the rest.

It gave her a chance to interact with the kids of the community and to have all the benefits of a physical school.

I would totally do it again but she likes being in the actual Montessori program a bit better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 3:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great thread!
Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast