Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2013 3:42am

Style: Holiday Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to the comments of this Facebook page for Andy "War" Willis, this isn't the first time he has had BS called on him.

EDIT: Sorry for all the links, screen cap is a bit poo on the works computer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2013 10:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbirdseye View Post
    Well a search o his name brings up a guy with a fight record, but he's too young an in the wrong place. Had a brief look at his facebook page and laugjed at the walting, but apart from the picture in this thread i can't see anything more about him fighting.

Edit: Typing this on a kindle so apologies for retarded spellibg etc.
    I found that record too; also lots of mentions of a chap with the same name at KORE MMA but thats somewhere in Cornwall. I'll keep checking all the references, just incase, but unless he is super ultra committed I don't think he'd be traveling that far to train. Not as an "injured war vet" anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2013 6:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spent a long time last night looking through MMA gyms in and around Chatham and I couldn't find a single picture of Andy Willis on any fight team profile, anything mentioning his name and nothing in any of the random gallery pics some sites put up. I had a look at his followers/following bits on his page and noticed he has no FB link to any gym that he could train or fight at; just lots of random MA stuff (lol martial arts hall of fame).

As I can't find anything (other than poser pics) linked to him and MA/MMA I'm inclined to call LARP for now.

Anybody else looked at the military stuff?

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/17/2013 6:55am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys,

Thanks for your collective efforts. Most appreciative.

I'm happy to let this drop from our perspective as it's being looked at by quite a few regular serving and ex-squaddies who don't mind paying this Walting 'tard a visit.

I'll be moving this out of MABS shortly.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2013 7:10am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair play. At least it kept me out of the missus' way for bit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2013 7:11am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Had a look yesterday at his Facebook page and his work history mentioning special forces has disappeared. It mentions he was:
    "Former Sgt at HM Armed Forces 1990 - 2004"

Dates don't match previous screen shoot but at least he doesn't have "Seargent" as his rank.

Rock Ape - having never served with the armed forces in the UK, is there a law against pretending to be a former member of HM armed forces??

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/17/2013 9:38am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    DRock Ape - having never served with the armed forces in the UK, is there a law against pretending to be a former member of HM armed forces??
    It's not quite as clear cut as that. Sadly.

This is why we go out of our way with sites such as : https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-W...835767?fref=ts

To get the message out about British Military Walts.

I may be talking bollocks here however, I believe it is against the law to impersonate a commissioned officer (but not an enlisted man/woman) however, that would depend upon the circumstances of the intent as to how the Police authorities would view the matter.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2013 10:00am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    It's not quite as clear cut as that. Sadly.

This is why we go out of our way with sites such as : https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-W...835767?fref=ts

To get the message out about British Military Walts.

I may be talking bollocks here however, I believe it is against the law to impersonate a commissioned officer (but not an enlisted man/woman) however, that would depend upon the circumstances of the intent as to how the Police authorities would view the matter.
    Like the Facebook page! I think there is legislation about pretending to be a serving Police Officer/member of the Armed Forces or around the fraud act if you try to gain services etc pretending to be someone you are not.

It just seems crazy that these arses can't be prosecuted.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2013 5:08pm

Style: Krav Maga, Running Away

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi All

In regards to the question of impersonating military personnel, here's something on that issue.

It's from an email to someone in the US so sorry for it not being specifically tailored for this group but you may find it helpful:

The main legislation is this:

Section 197 of the Army Act 1955:

"states that any person, who in the United Kingdom or in any colony, uses or wears any military decoration or any badge, wound stripe or emblem as to be "calculated to deceive" or "falsely represents himself as being entitled to use or wear them." is liable to a fine or imprisonment."

Under the Criminal Justice Act 2003 the imprisonment penalty was removed.

So it's a specific offence to wear medals (or claim you have medals) to which you are not entitled in order to deceive.

The intention to deceive is an important part. You wouldn't commit an offence if you wore medals as part of a fancy dress outfit. It's also not uncommon here for people to wear the medals of family members at memorial services. That's ok as it's clear you're doing it as a tribute to the person who earned them. To avoid confusion people tend to wear the medals on the right in such circumstances.

It's not an offence to wear a uniform or claim military service unless there's an intention to "obtain a pecuniary advantage by deception".

So bull-shitting to a girl in bar would probably not be an offence; however 'pecuniary advantage' is defined quite broadly. It doesn't have to actually get you cash. Getting a job interview would count. Causing another person a disadvantage also counts. So if I give a contract to a fake serviceman rather than his non-veteran competitor that's still an offence even if the fake works for free.

Interestingly we have free speech rights here on a par with the First Amendment but no one has even considered challenging the above legislation. Our courts are quite happy that free speech includes being offensive, subversive, idiotic etc. but they are quite capable of recognising that free speech cannot protect fraud.

As one of our most senior judges put it:

"There is no public interest in being lied to".

Hope you found that not too boring. As a (civilian) military lawyer I do a lot of lecturing so I do tend to go on a bit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 5:07pm

Style: JJJ/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    Rock Ape - having never served with the armed forces in the UK, is there a law against pretending to be a former member of HM armed forces??
    Although we don't have a Stolen Valor (sp) type act in the UK, there do seem to be in-house penalties for misrepresenting yourself if you are actually serving. As seen here; http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/201...perior-officer
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast