Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 3:34pm

Style: Lung Ying Kung Fu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I partly agree with the person who told you that some kettlebells and body weight exercises can be sufficient to increase strength considerably. You mention wanting to be strong and be able to "kick ass", so I assume you are not trying to enter a Mr. Universe competition. I have a couple of dumbells, kettlebells, and rely on my body for other strength training (pushups, pullups, dips, etc.). You want to get stronger, but not sacrifice speed and flexibility which can be an issue. You said you had to quit Judo because of school, was this for financial reasons or for time constraints? If you are strapped for time, a 20 minute kettlebell workout can kick your ass sufficiently, and leave you plenty of time to study.

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 4:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by animlmthr View Post
    These are some sites I like to use when I need new ideas: http://www.trainforstrength.com/ or
    It says right at the top of this site

Welcome to the #1 Bodyweight Conditioning site in the world!

Conditioning is not strength

Quote Originally Posted by animlmthr View Post
    http://www.combatfitness.co.uk/ and P90/P90x has a lot of good routines with only a pull up bar and some dumbells needed (you can easily acquire P90x without using $...).
    p90x is pretty similar to the conditioning i mentioned in the original post. It would only cause a strength increase in someone who's massively detrained. And even then strength would go up in the beginning then stop because it's not a strength program.

Quote Originally Posted by DimmedSum View Post
    I have a couple of dumbells, kettlebells, and rely on my body for other strength training (pushups, pullups, dips, etc.). You want to get stronger, but not sacrifice speed and flexibility which can be an issue.
    so what's your push up 1 rep max?

You said you had to quit Judo because of school, was this for financial reasons or for time constraints?
    both

If you are strapped for time, a 20 minute kettlebell workout can kick your ass sufficiently, and leave you plenty of time to study.
    So what if it kicked my ass? Did it make me any stronger? You can do all kinds of **** making yourself sore and tired but not necessarily improving at anything.

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 4:58pm

Style: JiuJistu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude are you dense on purpose?
    Sure he mangled some stuff together but he has some solid advice in there, you seem to have picked on what you don't think is right. Now look at what else he has offered.

Kettlebells are used for strength training... and his point is, somewhere along the lines of Diesel's who pointed out that for Judo you don't want to purely focus on max strength but strength&conditioning and exercises that translate well into Judo/MA.

Magic question, what will help me more in my game, a max squat of 270kg or being able to do 20X1,2m box jumps with maybe a medicine ball? I would say the later because it combines both... but that is just my take on it.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 5:00pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why are so many martial arts schools so anti-gun? Dojos never seem to have a shooting range, even though they claim to teach all ranges of combat.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 5:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If one is serious about "strength" training for Judo, then, well, you want to get stronger. I guess there is absolute strength. You want to increase that. Then, explosiveness, then, strength endurance, judo specific strength etc. . All of those have their proper place in a cyclical training program that is built around the individual improvement needs and the competition season.

For those not so serious, general fitness/conditioning is good to start. If you have the opportunity to DO THE SPORT a LOT, then do that first and screwe the weights, the training will kick your ass enough for a good while.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 5:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    Dude are you dense on purpose?
    I feel like we're going in circles now. I'm asking about strength. People keep bringing up **** that isn't strength. I recognize this non strength **** is important but it's not what I'm asking about right now

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 5:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    I feel like we're going in circles now. I'm asking about strength. People keep bringing up **** that isn't strength. I recognize this non strength **** is important but it's not what I'm asking about right now
    Well consider the responses in the light that you claim to be weak and sucky; so perhaps obsessing over a ORM when you have no money, time, gym or equipment is kinda silly when "being strong and kicking ass" is your stated goal and there are things you could be doing to further that goal in the meantime.

I also asked you about resourcefulness for a reason, yet you'd rather go around in circles it seems.

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 5:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    Kettlebells are used for strength training... and his point is, somewhere along the lines of Diesel's who pointed out that for Judo you don't want to purely focus on max strength but strength&conditioning and exercises that translate well into Judo/MA.

Magic question, what will help me more in my game, a max squat of 270kg or being able to do 20X1,2m box jumps with maybe a medicine ball? I would say the later because it combines both... but that is just my take on it.
    90% of judo conditioning for 90% of judoka should consist of judo. Preferably randori.

The strength training, however, makes sense to be outside of class, with barbells, training for a 1RM in whole-body strength and power movements. That plus conditioning (developed in class, through randori) makes for a mean judoka.

If you're already wicked strong and randori doesn't tire you out, then additional conditioning workouts make sense. Otherwise the ROI on conditioning workouts for judo is absolutely below that of strength workouts for judo.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 6:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, it's not that complicated. For most people, more generalized fitness training (px90, kettle bells, blah blah blah is a lot more practical and fun than hitting the iron and lifting heavy on a regular basis.

So guys/gals who show up at a BJJ/MMA whatever "gym" want to be entertained and have fun, and get fit and feel like they are learning to "defend" themselves. The general fitness etc is better for that than heavy lifting (running away anyone?).

Ergo, your impression of people being against "strength" training in the perhaps general sense.

Well, it's not that complicated. For most people, more generalized fitness training (px90, kettle bells, blah blah blah is a lot more practical and fun than hitting the iron and lifting heavy on a regular basis.

So guys/gals who show up at a BJJ/MMA whatever "gym" want to be entertained and have fun, and get fit and feel like they are learning to "defend" themselves. The general fitness etc is better for that than heavy lifting (running away anyone?).

Ergo, your impression of people being against "strength" training in the perhaps general sense.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 8:33pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Everyone definitely shouldn't be against strength training for martial arts.

It's hard to defend against the double leg and punches of a 5 time world strongest man.

Holy **** he's strong.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast