Posted On:
    4/15/2013 1:25pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    1 rep max.
    Are you talking about olympic lifts? As in, all of them, or only certain ones? And you also realize that ORM doesn't transfer over into martial arts very well, right? I used to workout for ORM, and when I started fighting, I realized that while my bench was 405, I couldn't fight my way out of a paper bag without gassing out. That's when I moved more toward functional fitness. But to each their own.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    4/15/2013 2:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Are you talking about olympic lifts? As in, all of them, or only certain ones?
    Snatch C&J and squat mainly

And you also realize that ORM doesn't transfer over into martial arts very well, right?
    No

I used to workout for ORM, and when I started fighting, I realized that while my bench was 405, I couldn't fight my way out of a paper bag without gassing out. That's when I moved more toward functional fitness. But to each their own.
    A lack of conditioning doesn't mean that strength is useless

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2013 2:51pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Snatch C&J and squat mainly

No

A lack of conditioning doesn't mean that strength is useless
    No, everything has it's uses. And I'm talking about personally for me, not for you or other people. I did powerlifting for many years. Competed a little. But then my focus changed. If you want to be strong, then you work out to be strong. It is what it is.

I personally prefer to be functionally fit. Where everything is balanced. Strenth and cardio. Because that's what I have found work best for me when I fight.

I'm 6ft, 240lbs. I can still bench 315lbs, do 20 pullups, and spar 7 rounds(3minute rounds with 1 minute rest).

Strength is cool. But if that is the only focus it can start to hurt other aspects of fitness. For exampe power lifters. You want to be strong for that one lift, or push. You put on lots of mass, and work on that ORM. The problem can come if you don't balance that and throw in cardio work. All that muscle mass takes a lot of oxygen to move around. That can make you gas quick in sparring. Look at most heavy weights. Marius Pudzianowski for example. Super strong. But when he started fighting, he had to lose wieght otherwise he was gassing all over the place.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    4/15/2013 11:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am inclined to say that if cost of equipment and lost space are an issue, it's probably because the people doing the buying are either 1) just scraping by, in which case I commend them for focusing on the fundamentals and wish them the best, or 2) making poor choices, because the list of equipment is short: one power cage, one barbell, one bench, one set of plates, and maybe some horse mats to protect the plates from the ground.

However, insurance is certainly an issue, as is the risk of people who don't know what they're doing - and that's by no means restricted to the patrons. The median personal trainer is not actually competent to teach the basic barbell lifts; I wouldn't expect the median martial arts teacher to do any better, especially given that that's not their job.

I mean, swimming's great exercise and a valuable survival skill, but I'd probably try to do it at a pool rather than a dojo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2013 9:37am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At my Judo club we do a decently intense warmup and then lots of randori. Any supplemental strength and conditioning is our own responsibility outside of class time. That doesn't mean the coaches are anti-strength, it means they have a limited amount of time to focus on technique each class (especially if we are going to make time for good randori, which is also important).

I really like the "don't go to the dojo to swim" analogy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 5:21pm

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone has basically given you the answer to your question, so where do you go from here?
    In my opinion, which is just that, you need to stat at body composition. I believe, this has something to do with someone asking what your ORMs were. You need some kind of indicator as to how strong you are and how fit you are. The most accurate measure for body composition is the dunk tank. I'm sure you're not going to go that far, so there are some body fat readers out there, you can buy, although there is debate to how accurate they really are. Even if not super accurate, you get an idea of where you stand.
    Take me, for example. I am 5'6" and weigh 247lbs as of last Monday. My body fat% is about 30%. So I know my muscle, bones, and organs weigh about 172lbs+/-. Last year, I weighed about what I weighed today. I changed my diet, started on some cardio and modest weight training, and got down to 229lbs relatively quickly. My body fat% though, went from around 42% to 35%. My lean mass was down to around 148lbs. I was weak and although I was lighter overall, I wasn't necessarily healthier or more fit. What prompted me to get off my ass, was that my lean mass was down in the 130s, but my total weight was huge! Body composition is key.

That being said, define your goals. What do you wish to gain from training? Are you looking to be a better athlete or competitor? Do you have an ideal body image you want for yourself? Do you want to attract more girls at the beach? Do want to find a place somewhere between all these? Be honest and find out what you want, then research. The easy way is to find a trainer, and train for your goals, letting your body take the shape it needs to, to achieve your goals.

I have more to add, but ran out of time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2013 9:49am

Style: Seidokaikan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My wife thinks that if you can mow the lawn, do the dishes, and fold the clothes you are strong.
    It's a trap!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2013 3:40pm

Style: SAMBO, jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My last gym had a huge weight room. I never used it.

BTW, $100/mo doesn't mean you should have a weight room too. That's a pretty fair price for MA instruction. No one says you should get a full 24hr fitness thrown in too.

I still am at a loss as to why your school/college doesn't have a fitness center...every college I attended (even the CC) all had a free gym for students. But if it doesn't, it doesn't. You could try getting some free weights at a decent price on Craigslist or the like and workout in your room/garage or whatever you have. Otherwise, yeah, you'll have to be resourceful for your strength training.

These are some sites I like to use when I need new ideas: http://www.trainforstrength.com/ or http://www.combatfitness.co.uk/ and P90/P90x has a lot of good routines with only a pull up bar and some dumbells needed (you can easily acquire P90x without using $...).

Posted On:
    4/21/2013 4:44pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are new to the MA your strength will work against you. If you aren't you should find a place where they "have it all" (pretty rare) or join a cheap gym. 24-hour fitness is 35 a month. And if you are like me, it's challenge to just train three times a week.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 8:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by animlmthr View Post

I still am at a loss as to why your school/college doesn't have a fitness center...every college I attended (even the CC) all had a free gym for students. But if it doesn't, it doesn't. You could try getting some free weights at a decent price on Craigslist or the like and workout in your room/garage or whatever you have. Otherwise, yeah, you'll have to be resourceful for your strength training.
    Yeah, I was too until I looked at the link to his school. It's actually a flight academy, where he is going to school, basically at a small air port. His class room is in the sky. Looks like a cool school, but not "school" in the since that we were thinking of it.
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast