Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2013 5:29am

Style: Satanist and BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The MMA and BJJ school I just started at has a fully fitted gym in the basement, with free weights, machines and some cardio. £50 a month covers 3 MA classes and unlimited gym use, seems pretty reasonable. It's great motivation to drop a few weight divisions when you see the guys in your division are ripped and not carrying any extra baggage :)

Posted On:
    4/15/2013 7:45am

Style: JiuJistu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been to a bunch of schools and a bunch of gyms... the reason you won't find a good sized work out area is exactly the issue of SIZE.
    When you run a MA school, you usually need space for the mats, heavy bags, ring, what have you.
    When you run a gym, you use said space for the lifting stuff and end up with little mat space.
    Economics :D MA schools are short on cash and there are a few fixed costs that cut deep Rent being the biggest for most folks...

Posted On:
    4/15/2013 8:10am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We've got a weights gym about to open at Advance. As someone mentioned, it's about having the right people for the job, without a dedicated strength and conditioning coach a weights gym can actually be a liability due to idiots not knowing how to do the proper exercises and injuring themselves.

Also, gym equipment is expensive as ****, being privy to the costs associated with our smallish set up, it is obvious why some joints would not be able to afford it. Hell, just decking out a decent area with good mats is a shitload of dollars. A good squat rack hurts the back pocket, let alone machines to make those muscles pop. And that's why you'd have machines at a MA gym, so Beefcake McDouchebag can say he trains at a "fight gym" while pumping his guns with the dumbells. Those doing MA won't use them as often as that guy.

As I said, I'm privy to a lot of what has gone on behind the scenes at my gym. There is benefits to having a weights gym in a fight gym, but it is fucking expensive to maintain.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/15/2013 8:20am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Franginho and Battlefields nailed it. It's an economic issue. Not only is weight equipment very expensive, it takes up a ton of space and typically requires more insurance due to the idiot factor.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2013 9:57am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your school doesn't have a weight room? I spent more time in my highschool weight room then I did in class.

How many pullups can you do? They are great for everything. Want to work grip? Do pullups from a gi belt.

A lot of gyms are moving towards functional fitness, just because that's what the current trend is. Crossfit, boot camps, suspention trainers, and that type of stuff. Cool thing though is that you can do all of that without paying for a membership if you are creative and motivated.

You say you want to be "strong". Well that's a relative term. What I consider strong is the ability to do 20 dead hang pullups. I used to think being able to bench press over 400lbs was strong. My unkle still thinks that way. My brother thinks that if you can walk 10 miles with a 75lb ruck sack you are strong. My wife thinks that if you can mow the lawn, do the dishes, and fold the clothes you are strong.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    4/15/2013 11:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    Does your school have a wrestling team you could join? That would help further your ass-kicking, and likely grant you access to whatever fitness facilities your school has.
    Nope
    http://www.pacificflying.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Do you lack the discipline or resourcefulness to do it on your own?
    There's quite a bit you can do on your own, if you're as weak as you say, without spending a lot of money.
    Definitely lack the resources right now. School is expensive. MA classes are expensive. Gym membership is semi expensive

Posted On:
    4/15/2013 11:11am

Style: JiuJistu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you live in suburbia there might be somebody around with a decent power rack in the garage and you might train with this person.

If you have a playground with a jungle gym and rails close by, you can do a bunch of upper body strength training, from pull ups/chin ups, dips, elevated push ups etc. to even polymetric jumps, hill sprints. Try to be creative... that is what the poor have ;)

Posted On:
    4/15/2013 12:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post

You say you want to be "strong". Well that's a relative term. What I consider strong is the ability to do 20 dead hang pullups. I used to think being able to bench press over 400lbs was strong. My unkle still thinks that way. My brother thinks that if you can walk 10 miles with a 75lb ruck sack you are strong. My wife thinks that if you can mow the lawn, do the dishes, and fold the clothes you are strong.
    1 rep max.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/15/2013 12:53pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm anti-strength training because you're paying me to teach you to fight. You want to pay me to be your weightlifting coach, too? Awesome. Gimme the money and be prepared to double the amount of time you spend training with me.

Posted On:
    4/15/2013 1:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post

Definitely lack the resources right now. School is expensive. MA classes are expensive. Gym membership is semi expensive
    Read what i wrote again;
    "resourcefulness", not "resources".
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast