Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2013 9:43pm

Style: Cage Fu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For for those who might be interested to know, I've had a pretty good showing in my last couple weeks of combat sports. I won my 4th professional MMA fight via 1st round submission against a SUPER legit opponent, and then I got two silver medals in NAGA the week after.

My MMA fight was against a VERY dangerous wrestler and jiujitsu purple belt named Kurt Chase Patrick. He's only lost once prior to our fight in his MMA career (ammy and pro), and as an amateur he submitted Rico Disciullo (the only one to beat me in MMA). I was expecting this fight to be an all-out war!

It started out that way, but after a few exchanges my opponent dislocated his shoulder when I sprawled on a shot. I didn't even realize this had happened and I immediately threw him into a tight guillotine. With only one arm, he had no way to defend was forced to tap.

That freak injury is a real bummer and certainly takes a lot of the glam away from the win, and it's a damn shame that we didn't get to have the epic battle that we were both expecting, but it is what it is.

The following week, I competed at NAGA at featherweight expert and lightweight purple belt. I submitted my first no-gi opponent via rear naked choke pretty handily. My second opponent was a BJJ blackbelt (as I found out later, when I saw him compete in gi) and we had a very close match, which went into overtime. In the overtime, I was able to score a few points to seal the deal. And then in the finals, I got absolutely killed by this leglock ninja who always wins 149 expert. I'll rematch him next year!

I got a by for my first gi match, and I dominated my opponent in the second though I didn't manage to finish him. In the finals, I took my opponent down and spent a lot of time in his guard. I'm not very good in the gi, and all of my recent gains in the grip-breaking department went out the window when the pressure was on. This resulted in me getting swept and controlled for most of the rest of the match before submitting me.

With my opponent on top of me in side control and a minute left, I was like "**** it, it's wrasslin' time!" I stopped trying to re-guard and just went for an underhook escape. From there, I got to my knees and attacked a double upon which he sprawled. However, I was able to sit out and re-shoot, which got me into side control! Unfortunately, I was sloppy and left my arm hanging out and he locked on an americana, which forced me to tap.

I really should have just given up top position to escape, but I derped out and that was that. Unfortunately, even if I hadn't been finished, I still would have lost on points.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2013 9:47pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TLDR; I won my MMA fight and got 2nd place in NAGA expert.

Watch a video of me narrowly beating a BJJ blackbelt in nogi.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kytqd6y1xm226xf/MoSD241l_k#/

And more importantly, watch/share my updated highlight reel. It features new footage from my amateur career (from a golden gloves fight) and footage from my pro fights.

:)

Posted On:
    10/21/2013 9:00am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2014 5:49pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The video of my most recent fight against one of the top bantamweights in the New England MMA scene (formerly ranked #3*) was released earlier today. My opponent had a background in boxing and Southeast Asian kickboxing. He had a Rocky Marciano Tournament championship to his name, was once the New England's #1 ranked 145 lbs amateur. He lost his pro debut by a dubious split decision and then went on to win 7 fights in a row before relocating to Florida to train full-time with The Blackzillians.

Suffice it to say, this guy's a beast. In his 7 wins, 4 were by way of KO and by way of submission. Only one went the distance. This fight was EPIC!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcpJAYgg98k#t=65

*In the most recent rankings, I've taken his spot at #3

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2014 8:42pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good fight Kin! Awesome Cardio. I'm tired from watching.

Good movement negated the reach advantage it appeared from here.

Looked like you were sinking in a serious guillotine right at the moment the clock ran out.

I look forward to watching more. You're on your way man.

Registered Member

At the doh-jaw, sleeping beneath the moldy tatami

Posted On:
    2/06/2014 9:56pm

Style: Judo/PunchyKicking

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was a great fight. Modesty to the side, you clearly started to dominate second round onwards; this takes no credit off Andre, also an excelent fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Looked like you were sinking in a serious guillotine right at the moment the clock ran out.
    He was, wasn't he? :-)

Keep on truckin'!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2014 12:03am

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Here we go. I did that correctly this time.

Also, I did feel like that guillotine was gonna be the one but unfortunately I was out of time. In hindsight, I put my eggs in the wrong basket. I should've focused more on landing big shots instead of trying to submit him. Not only would more striking have given me a chance to end the fight, but it would've also opened up opportunities for subs.

Oh well. You live and you learn. I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't stand up and strike more. I thought that this was going to be an epic kickboxing match. In any case, I'm definitely gonna try to up my wrestling game going forward. I get rag-dolled so much lol.

Thanks for watching guys!

Posted On:
    2/07/2014 2:54am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kin, you are a scary dude.

Busy busy busy. Every time he took you down (at the expense of his energy), you just hit him incessantly.

Your footwork was fantastic, and you showed a great chin. They are obviously appropriately torturing you at Redline, cos your cardio was very impressive indeed.

In the standing exchanges, I especially liked your countering and general aggressiveness. You didn't give up an inch, and when the TDs happened, you just kept going. All those blows add up, and when he bent over at the end of the 2nd, I saw that as part reason. He had to be getting dizzy a bit. (That and throwing you around has to get tiring).

He never got going on the ground, because like a little Fedor, you just kept hitting him as he struggled to do anything. By the end of the fight, he looked as though he was simply trying not to get finished.

I think a HL is in order. The only time you didn't look boss, was when you snapped back into TDK mode early in the fight and threw the crane double kick and got counter kicked to the floor. no big thing, but lol.

I gave you all three rounds on aggressiveness and doing stuff. He did get takedowns, and looks like a pretty good fighter, but you spent every moment on the ground hitting him. That was awesome.

the action in the last whatever...about 15 seconds was key. Another 10 seconds in the round, was all it would have taken. 10 tops, possibly 5. You were ready to snap that guillotine on FTW bigtime. You were running a chain of sorts, and that was the one you'd catch. It was highly entertaining, and awe inspiring.

So report card:

Footwork B+
    Chin A+
    Stamina A++
    Workrate A+
    Takedown defense C
    Ground defense A+++++
    Transitioning A+
    TKD Crane double kick F

You are awesome.

Posted On:
    2/09/2014 1:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I'm working on a HL of the fight. Not sure if I'll weave in some stuff from your others. We'll see.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2014 12:01am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, funny thing about my cardio...

Many people assume I do some kind of insane spartan conditioning regimen... But I don't. As a big believer in sport-specificity, I just do high-volume padwork, high-intensity rolling, and MANY rounds of sparring at a high pace.

If I ever make it big and get to train full-time, I think I'd do some dedicated strength and conditioning sessions in the morning, but I'm not convinced that it's worth cutting into my technique training time under my current circumstances.

As for the ground fighting, you know how Lefty is: he insists that you strike constantly from any and all positions. Even striking from the bottom can wear people down, set up submissions, or coax them into creating space so they can retaliate (which also gives me room to escape). I feel like it paid off a lot here and in the Dinis Paiva fight.

If you made a sweet highlight vid, I definitely would appreciate it! I feel like too much of that fight was spent in a stalemate on the ground. I would have liked for it to have been more dynamic -- something a highlight reel would solve by showing only the good parts!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast