Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/12/2014 2:06am

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

TUF Nations Fighter out of UFC for racist pic

Manawaroa, a part of the Team Australian squad headed by coach/fighter Kyle Noke, recently advanced to the semifinal round of the tournament with a decision victory over Nordine Taleb. However, even if he continues winning the exhibition fights in the pre-taped eight-man tourney, he won�t join the UFC�s official roster once the show concludes in April.

After Canadian welterweight Kajan Johnson recently pointed out Manawaroa�s racist Instagram post from 2012 (see a screenshot), the Team Australia fighter was told he won�t be offered a contract, regardless of how he finishes on the FOX Sports 1-televised series.

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/02/tuf-nat...nstagram-post/

A facebook page has taken up Tyler's cause (here) and they make a reasonable case. Especially considering the list of existing UFC fighters who have behaved poorly, apologised and then continued in the promotion.

Political correctness gone too far? Or a responsible approach to stamp out racism?

Whilst a stand should be made against racism it seems a bit hypocritical of the UFC to pick this cause. Why not make a stand against domestic violence? Or sexism? Or homophobia? Or rape jokes?
    Last edited by cualltaigh; 2/12/2014 2:31am at .
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Posted On:
    2/12/2014 6:18am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is too much. I usually am against this over zealous crucifying white folks that are caught saying something racist, especially when is seems that minorities can get away with much more. But this is disgusting, especially the use of a baby.
    There are enough fighters that will be eager to take his place, there is no need for people like him.

Posted On:
    2/12/2014 6:35am

Style: MMA, Yoga

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train with the guy, so obviously biased but a couple of points:

He is from a black minority, they have a very high incarceration rate and they call each other ******. Its a bad joke and should be taken as such, not as racist hate.

He put up that photo at age 17, kids do stupid ****.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    2/12/2014 7:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    I train with the guy, so obviously biased but a couple of points:

He is from a black minority, they have a very high incarceration rate and they call each other ******. Its a bad joke and should be taken as such, not as racist hate.

He put up that photo at age 17, kids do stupid ****.
    Kids do do stupid ****. But how did this not get cleaned up/noticed for 18 months when he went pro, or even when he made the TUF cut? I thought some sort of media/social media training/understanding/savviness would be standard by now.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Posted On:
    2/12/2014 7:45am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    That is too much. I usually am against this over zealous crucifying white folks that are caught saying something racist, especially when is seems that minorities can get away with much more. But this is disgusting, especially the use of a baby.
    There are enough fighters that will be eager to take his place, there is no need for people like him.
    Too much what though? Albeit tasteless and stupid, how does this cross the imaginary line that rape jokes, gay jokes, sexist remarks/jokes, actual violence against women and criminal offences do not?
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/12/2014 9:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    That is too much. I usually am against this over zealous crucifying white folks that are caught saying something racist
    Look at him. Dude ain't even white.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2014 10:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're probably concerned with the image of the sport, given the opposition its gotten since the beginning. Can't blame them for that.

In general though, I think that when a black man uses that term, white people should stay out of it and leave any chastisement up to the black community.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2014 11:26am

Style: It's complicated.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a) He's not black; he's Maori. Maori are an ethnic group with roots in Polynesia; not Africa.

b) Even if he were black, racism is racism; you don't get a free pass just because you're a member of the targeted race. Internalized racism and racism targetting your own kind is just as harmful as racism coming from someone else.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2014 11:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keej613 View Post
    a) He's not black; he's Maori. Maori are an ethnic group with roots in Polynesia; not Africa.

b) Even if he were black, racism is racism; you don't get a free pass just because you're a member of the targeted race. Internalized racism and racism targetting your own kind is just as harmful as racism coming from someone else.
    a) He is an ethnic Maori, but I believe they are sometimes considered members or the black race, sometimes of their own Australoid race.

b) I agree 100%. All I'm saying is that for whites to get involved in correcting a black man who makes a racist comment against blacks denies the black community the prerogative to speak on its own behalf, and suggests that they are not capable of protecting their own interests. If I were a black man, I might find that patronizing.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/12/2014 11:55am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keej613 View Post
    b) Even if he were black, racism is racism; you don't get a free pass just because you're a member of the targeted race.
    NVM, I actually enjoy these PC threads on how blacks, or any minority group, should act.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast