Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 12:06am

supporting member
     Style: Tang Soo Don't Retired

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tell that to the MLB pitchers. If it were everyone would do it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 12:22am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atheistmantis View Post
    Tell that to the MLB pitchers. If it were everyone would do it.
    *sigh* Simple =/= Easy...if it were easy everyone would do it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 12:48am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****, if I start complaining about parsing and semantics you guys are being stupid.

I'm complaining.....stupid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 1:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Iif, with all due respect, do you disagree?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 2:18am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Many things, at their base, are simple.

Learning this is **** is simple:

This **** is complex:

Both are skateboarding.

Why some of you guys are getting butt-hurt because people say that boxing is simple makes no damn sense.

Like I said parsing and semantics.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 6:04am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Many things, at their base, are simple.

Learning this is **** is simple:

This **** is complex:

Both are skateboarding.

Why some of you guys are getting butt-hurt because people say that boxing is simple makes no damn sense.

Like I said parsing and semantics.
    Fake is on the money about this. Like many things (chess, sex, ...), there are senses in which boxing is very simple, and other senses in which it is complex; but simple isn't bad.

Boxing's simplicity is part of what makes it great. The best boxing writers have written brilliantly about it, partly because its simplicity allows it such symbolic power and gives it such primal force and deep appeal (Jack London, Ring Lardner, James Baldwin, Arthur Conan Doyle, O Henry, Nelson Algren, A. J. Liebling, Joyce Carol Oates, Jimmy Cannon, Heywood Hale Broun, Red Smith, Ralph Ellison, Norman Mailer, ... we can argue about who does or doesn't make the list). It will be interesting to see whether any comparable literature develops around MMA.

In any sport, an expert observes much more going on than a casual fan, but boxing is also simple in the sense that the most casual fan can generally get a good sense of who is winning and at least part of why.

Of course, there are fewer combinations in boxing than in striking disciplines where you strike with hands, elbows, knees, and feet, for example. So, boxing is simpler comparatively in that sense. And any combat sport that incorporates grappling and striking is going to be more complex in some senses that any sport that is purely one or the other.

But so what? Boxing involves its own kinds of complexity, as I pointed out earlier, and its own kind of beauty and grace and violence and primal confrontation. Just like other great combat sports do. And when the best practitioners engage in it at the highest level, it is one of the most exciting athletic events there can be. I feel sorry for you guys who were too young to see the great heavyweight bouts of the 1970s and the great welterweight & middleweight fights of the 1980s.

In the early-to-mid 2000s, there was a huge flowering of fantastic fighters, all fighting each other at and around lightweight (130). If you missed that golden period, too, there are a ton of good, exciting fighters now at 140 (Junior Middleweight) and 154 (Junior Middleweight). If you ignore the endless courtship between Floyd and Manny, there are a lot of exciting fighters out there, even though the heavyweight drought continues.

So, keep watching MMA. And anything other MA they put on: Muay Thai, K-1, college wrestling meets, ... . No reason to choose, folks. Share the love with all the combat sports. Just don't forget the combat sport that paved the way into America's living rooms and made "Terdsak" a household name in Thailand.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 5:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't mean to masturbate a dead horse, but I can't emphasize enough how horrible the Bruce vs. Jackie community was. Take, for example, one member who went by the handle "five-animals". In an email conversation I had with him years ago, he claimed an effective counter to the double-leg takedown was grabbing both of your attacker's arms, falling to your back, and up kicking him in the face. He claimed he pulled this off against a training partner in the gym once (I assume another kung-fu student) so it must be effective against wrestlers.

The bad part about that is that he was the most intelligent member on the site by a HUGE fucking margin.

Oh... Oh God. It's just like Stephen King's IT. The memories are flooding back into my mind all at once. If I can't control it I'll end up like Stanley Uris!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 5:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the record, I no longer get butt-hurt. I have learned the Shido way...finally.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/26/2013 5:42am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Oh... Oh God. It's just like Stephen King's IT. The memories are flooding back into my mind all at once. If I can't control it I'll end up like Stanley Uris!
    STAY OUT OF THE TUB!
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2013 3:06pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post
    In the early-to-mid 2000s, there was a huge flowering of fantastic fighters, all fighting each other at and around lightweight (130).
    I'm actually writing a book about this.

One of the greatest rivalries in the history of modern sports happened in boxing between 2000-Present Day. America has been oblivious to it.

Yet, it is as great as the Four Kings era of the 1980s.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast