Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 4:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, by the way, check the results on the Ingo vs. Bruce poll. I actually had some friends go over to the site and outvote Bruce Lee. Pissed the fuckers off.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 4:30pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    No, I already killed that site single handed years ago. After battling those nimrods post-for-post for about a year after I joined the site back around 2006, I figured out that the forums had no spam filters so I justed kept posting big text blocks of the word PENIS over and over again. It pretty much shut conversation down and forced the site's owner the freeze posting for a while, which drove pretty much all of the regulars away.

The site was never extraordinarily active and I think I had driven away a lot of the idiots already. I didn't have much skill in constructing arguments back then, but just the fact that there was someone around with a dissenting opinion drove a lot of posters mad with frothing, impotent rage. If the mods didn't delete most of my old posts and their responses I would've been able to show you guys even more insane babble from the Bruce vs. Jackie community. The site still gets one or two odd posts every year, but it's not worth raping.

Ahh... Internet war stories. The memories still hold strong.
    Total disregard for the Internet Geneva conventions, I see.

Look like Bullshido has been harboring an internet war criminal.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 4:50pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There should be a term for drowning out a forum with penis walls. I'd call it Phalibustering.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 5:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    There should be a term for drowning out a forum with penis walls. I'd call it Phalibustering.
    Just for the record, that wasn't the only time I've destroyed a website with spam (Penis or not). One site I killed by accident was actually pretty fucking active and cost the owner some money.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 10:00pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    SPECIAL NOTE FROM HOLY MOMENT: All of these comments were taken from a single forum page.

http://oelie.antville.org/stories/833166/#846921
    Dammit. I thought this was more of your brilliant creative writing, HM.

Regarding boxing and simplicity, consider defense. Think about the combination of stance, body position, guards, distance, head motions, upper body motions, leg bending, side-stepping / sliding / back-stepping, that a James Toney, Pernell Whitaker, Wilfredo Benitez, etc., used. Add in decisions about blocking / slipping / taking opponents' punches in order to be best positioned oneself to counter-punch while leaving your opponent in a position vulnerable to your punches, all made at a speed as close to an instinctive reaction as possible, and you have a fairly complex process going on, especially when you have two top-level fighters matched up.

Of course, sometimes it's Butterbean and a(nother) tomato can winging haymakers at each other for a few minutes until one gets concussed or so gassed he collapses from exhaustion. Then it is very simple.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 10:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Tang Soo Don't Retired

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bruce Lee was FOS in many ways but did a lot for martial arts just by showing up. Back in the day he might have been a good traditional boxer in his weight class however.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 10:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr. Wepner, just read your post and I could not agree with you more. Those who have boxed know exactly what you are referring to. Kudos.

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 10:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing IS simple, compared to other martial arts such as BJJ.
    All of those nuances also hold true for BJJ techniques for example, yet the number techniques absolutely dwarfs those found in boxing.
    Add in how the environment is more "3-dimensional" and it's not even a fair comparison.
    Heck even MT could claim much more complexity, due to the expanded ruleset.

Case in point, consider Omega and CF's basic armbar montage (or any number of Jason Scully's vids for that matter):

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 10:39pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I won't compare boxing to anything except one boxer to another. Then one will see the complexity and skill differences within that parameter. Of course bjj is more complex but that doesn't diminish the art/sport. I have been a student of boxing for over 40 years and I feel competent to speak to its merits.

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 10:47pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Throwing a baseball is really simple too. Anybody can do it. Pick up the the ball, throw. Clench your fist, hit someone in the face. Easy.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast