Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 3:28pm

Style: KK

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I met one of these guys recently at the bar who studies something along the lines of Jeet Kune Do "concepts" and really seems to be buying into a lot of questionable stuff. One of my favorite proclamations out of him so far is "fighting a boxer is easy because they're so predictable." Almost shot beer out of my nose trying to keep a straight face on that one.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 3:45pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    I met one of these guys recently at the bar who studies something along the lines of Jeet Kune Do "concepts" and really seems to be buying into a lot of questionable stuff. One of my favorite proclamations out of him so far is "fighting a boxer is easy because they're so predictable." Almost shot beer out of my nose trying to keep a straight face on that one.
    I hate JKD guys like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 3:47pm

Style: punch on artist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goddamn, tried to give thumbs up. ^^^.

I had a krotty instructor mate who'd carry on with the same theories.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 3:49pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not reading the rest of this thread before posting so to hell with what anyone else said.

Boxing is simple in the same way that Go is simple. The options available are relatively limited. You can only do a comparative handful of things at any given moment in boxing.

Judo, BJJ, even Muay Thai, are more complex simply because they have more options from a given situation. That does not, in any way, make boxing bad. It actually makes it very good.

You can learn all of the major bits of boxing in 6 months, then spend the next 50 years refining them. There are boxers that have made their careers off of excellent footwork and a perfectly timed jab. Essentially one technique for a decade. That doesn't make them any less fierce.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 3:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    boxing is out u dumbass. it was popular in the 70's. not anymore. y? because they only use the top half of there body. in a real fight with a martial artist they would get killed

----------------------------

but any boxer wud get killed by a martial artist a kick is 50 times stronger than a punch

martial art vs boxing

u cant even compare it. martial arts would win. boxing only uses hands (obviously) and boxers dont even use the bottom half of their body. did anyone see best of the best 2? when that oriental guy has 2 fight a bunch of ppl before he get 2 the big guy. the first guy he fight is a boxer and he won so fast the boxer did even have a chance

martial arts: a survival technic to face the un safe world and defend your self against every thing posible.

boxing: boxing is only a sport nothing else

see when a little kid gets picke on he doesnt say my brother knows boxing! lol its use less. boxing is useless in the real world. martial arts has all its uses to defend them self against every thing.

First of all boxing isnt that good. All u people out there always saying that boxers have stamina, so do martial artists. They dont sit there thowing their punches as slow as possible, they practice on their speed also. Im in Martial Arts, and ive seen boxers challenge the teachers....trust me, boxers stand no chance. Go do urself favors and get books on Bruce Lee and read em. Bruce would destroy Ali.

In my opinion, I strongly perfer
    Martial Arts than Boxing..
    Martial Arts have a lot of pride..look back
    You know Richard D, that boy who's known
    as "World's Strongest Boy" .. yeah hes been
    training MARTIAL ARTS since he was a child..
    You know Chuck Norris? He's also
    known as Strongest Men on the planet and
    he trains Martial Arts too.. 6-time Karate Champ..
    Btw..Health is really important..and last time
    i checked most formal boxers end up with
    "dieasess" and shiz...some even died..
    yeah Ali known as "Worlds Greatest" uh hm..
    rite... his big bragging and boasting that he
    is the "Greatest" over and over...Bruce Lee
    woulda beat him jus cuz Bruce Lee didnt do
    any fighting competitions, and if he did
    he woulda be the "greatest" ...and btw
    since Ali had the parkinson diease that can
    shut his big lip .. guess he ant the greatest now?

boxing is tripe all they do is protect there face with there fists and just punch when they can thats it.martial art train u in punches, kicks, blocking, movement, disarming, reflexes, weapons etc this is what u need to learn and do in a real fight.

hey sweetscience go do some studying. mike tyson beat tony jaa? lol, your a funny guy. boxing is only punching, your legs have a lot more muscle than your arms, and one kick to mikes head would kill him, unless he was to byte his ear ;D bruce beet ppl that would make ali look like a bitch okay? like Bolo young, do you know how big bolo is? did ali ever make a v sit. i dont think so.. all ali ever did was hit a punching bag and lift a couple of waits, wich by the way slows down your punches, bruce was able to do 8 punches i one sec. and 1 hand 1 finger push ups, when you can do that then talk, okay? okay. oh and nikolacvitkovic... you know who abdul jarome is. he was the 7 foot 5 guy that got his ass kicked in game of death by bruce lee so dont brag about your hieght, okay? okay. and for all you other retards out there who insist that boxing is better than kung fu. like you gary, your training would be in a lower class than **** compared to what ive done, dont underestimate martial arts. see five_animals, this is the time to get cocky ;) oh and nikolacvikcovic, how do you think bruce got into the movie buisness, by fighting in a real fight asshole. you cant even compare boxing to martial arts. hands down!!!!

SPECIAL NOTE FROM HOLY MOMENT: All of these comments were taken from a single forum page.

http://oelie.antville.org/stories/833166/#846921

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 4:04pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet zombie jesus I want to go on a killing rampage now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 4:18pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    You can learn all of the major bits of boxing in 6 months, then spend the next 50 years refining them.
    The more I've gotten into boxing, the more I realize this just isn't true.

To hear most MMA enthusiasts, you'd think that all you need to know are the four basic punches - and away you go! Yet, I've found this thinking to be incredibly naive.

Let me give you examples of what you'll probably not learn within your first 6 months:

• How to fight a southpaw
    • How to properly bob, weave, parry, roll, etc.
    • How to fight defensively with alternatives to the high guard
    • How to adjust tactics according to style

I get that some people don't regard the examples above as "major bits" and see them more as refinements, but if you're fighting a southpaw a swarming style (for instance), what are you going to do with your "major bits"?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 4:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet zombie jesus I want to go on a killing rampage now.
    Next to the Human Weapon forum, Bruce vs. Jackie is one of the sites I'm truly upset to see die (Technically it's still up, but there's nothing to play with. They get one post there maybe every eight months).

To this day, I do not know how they managed to pull even bigger retards out of the woodwork than you would find on Youtube or Yahoo Answers.

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 4:34pm

supporting memberstaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Notice that everything you're referencing is a situational how, not a physical what. I'm solely talking about the physical mechanics of the sport. Much like in Go you can learn the mechanics of the game in about 10 minutes you can learn the major physical components of boxing relatively quickly, but it takes decades of practice to master those things and learn how to use and incorporate them. Boxing is simple, but it's not shallow.

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 6:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do agree that boxing is simple in that you can only really punch for an offense, but after training mainly in boxing after I got over the MT/BJJ craze, there is quite a depth to the techniques, namely the defensive ones.

If you take a good look at American boxing, the Philly Shell popularized by Mayweather is becoming the new go-to defense for a lot of up-and-coming boxers (e.g. Broner, recent Rigondeaux). The sport is still evolving, so to think of it as a stale or archaic art is ignorant.

There may be weaves, bobs, slips and other common boxing techniques most people know about, but the art does go in depth with techniques and styles such as:

• Slipping while counter-punching at an angle. It's extremely effective and it can be applied to any martial art with punches, yet rarely seen outside of boxing.
    • Hitting a shoulder to stop forward momentum and pivoting out to counter.
    • The Philly Shell - this style uses the mechanics of the human body and pairs it with the necessity of a fast reflex to create a defense that continues to be reinterpreted by several top-class boxers.
    • Various styles such as Peekaboo, Mexican guard (shoulders are more perpendicular, similar to Muay Thai), and showboaty stances (Prince Naseem, Sergio Martinez).
    • Individual punch techniques such as the flicker jab, corkscrew punch, hookercuts, one-footed lunging jabs, and correct overhand rights.

Yes, there are parallels to other martial arts. Yes, a lot of these are susceptible to the techniques of other arts. However, nothing is paramount to the simultaneous offense and defense a boxer employs when in punching range. It says a lot when the previous sentence is a "no ****" statement, but it goes to show how dominant the style is in that particular area.

In MMA, Frankie Edgar, Nick Diaz, Cain Valasquez, and Dominick Cruz employ styles that are very boxing oriented, but they all go about it in their own unique way. Imagine if Kenny Florian knew some basic jab-slip counters vs. GSP's pseudo-boxing clinic.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast