Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2013 10:36pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Did Shota Chochishvili only use Chidaoba?

Hey guys,

I read on a youtube comment form a while ago that Shota Chochishvili, Georgian Judoka and Chidaoba wrestler, only used techniques from Chidaoba to win Olympic judo matches.

Does anyone know if their is truth to this or is it just Georgian propaganda? :D

(The post is on this video from a while ago)
    "most famous and strongest wrestler is shota chochishvili first olimpic champion in judo from europe 1972 munchen, he used only georgian chidaobas combinations in judo"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2013 1:10am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A little youtube searching shows a whole series about his Judo exploits. The little bit I watched showed him throwing with what looks an aweful lot like morote seoi nage. But it may be the the entry or setup was particularly Georgian. Or, as is so often the case, there is only so many ways to arm throw someone... so it looks similar.

see throw at 0:25

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2013 10:50am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I havnt watched the videos because work but honestly throwing is throwing. I came into judo from a wrestling background so I learned how to do a double leg slightly different then judos morote gari but you know what? Its still just a double leg. What makes kata guruma different then the firemans carry? Fucking nothing. Grappling systems do not own moves, strategies maybe, but not moves.

There is to much crossover between grappling styles to make claims of "I only used ______ to win that ________match" .

Posted On:
    10/21/2013 1:20pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dan Inosanto said something along the lines of "there's only so many ways to move the human body, and everybody invented them."

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    10/21/2013 8:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    A little youtube searching shows a whole series about his Judo exploits. The little bit I watched showed him throwing with what looks an aweful lot like morote seoi nage. But it may be the the entry or setup was particularly Georgian. Or, as is so often the case, there is only so many ways to arm throw someone... so it looks similar.

see throw at 0:25
    Looked like Seoi Nage to me. The entry and movement looked very judo-like.

That's not to say there is not a similar, movement, entry, and throw in Chidaoba. Or any number of other jacket wrestling traditions.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2013 8:27pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yah, they are all pretty similar. I thought maybe he had had no judo training and had just somehow made it into those matches with his traditional wrestling (Even though they are extremely similar.)

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    10/21/2013 8:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.HoneyBadger View Post
    Yah, they are all pretty similar. I thought maybe he had had no judo training and had just somehow made it into those matches with his traditional wrestling (Even though they are extremely similar.)
    From watching the Chidoaba stuff you posted and an few others, I'm almost certain that he had specific judo training. His base may have been Chidoaba, but what he was doing in judo shiai was looking pretty much like Judo to me. Especially his movement, which was pretty much different than the Chidoaba I saw on Youtube.

If you did a little more research, you could probably find more biographical info on him...
    Falling for Judo since 1980