Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2013 6:50pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think people are struggling to answer the question because the question is a little bizarre. It's like asking a boxer "when I'm in a boxing match, when should I punch the other guy in the face?"

the answer is just "whenever you can" It's too broad of a question, you can use it for counters, to set up other techniques, in combination after a failed attempt at something else, or as a throw by itself to score points. You use it whenever you can, the circumstances are impossible to enumerate, but you're looking for the weight to be off that foot, the attack to be 'within range', and it tends to be a good counterpoint to forward throws.

You don't need a whole slew of drills to practice a technique. Get the basic mechanics down and then just practice moving around and doing the throw, when you're in randori see when it does and doesn't work. There are lots of subtleties that will take a few years to master.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2013 8:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ben, Tkg goes well. We went over tsurikomi, very detailed-like. I wasn't using the lapel hand quite right (no surprise).

Scott, I'm just trying to get more info re: DAB. Your input is appreciated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2013 11:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I seem to have the best luck doing de ashi barai when uke is moving backwards, or backwards at a roughly 45 degree angle relative to my own position. I dont know why the throw just clicks better. My favorite way to practice this throw is just by moving freely with uke and then going for it when I feel the opportunity is right.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/14/2013 7:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judojeff View Post
    I seem to have the best luck doing de ashi barai when uke is moving backwards, or backwards at a roughly 45 degree angle relative to my own position. I dont know why the throw just clicks better. My favorite way to practice this throw is just by moving freely with uke and then going for it when I feel the opportunity is right.
    This is a good observation (the moving backwards bit). Backwards or sideways present the best opportunities, as uke is not expecting it quite so much.

I used to save uke moving backwards for last in the teaching sequence, but now I do it after working on sideways movement. It's more realistic in terms of being able to use the throw in randori or shiai.

Ben

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 12:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whenever I notice the weight just starting to come off a foot, especially when my opponent just tried a throw, was blocked and is trying to recover position, I open fire on that foot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2013 3:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first time I got it to work in randori was with a white belt (with a few years JJJ) who repeatedly stepped (lurched) in from too far out for a weak O soto gari with no kuzuchi. Got an "ooh" from my sensei. Ah - fond memories ! Haven't had much success with it since though. It was included in my Shodan exam and I prepared it with some of the drills quoted above but it still needs a lot of work TBH.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    9/10/2013 4:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    If you're having trouble with the timing, try this: kneel down in front of uke, and have him step back and forth like in the first drill. Try to sweep him with your left hand, ie you don't have to worry about your own movement or kuzushi or sweep technique, just catch his ankle with the palm of your hand at the right time.
    Bonus: hold on to one lapel and you're now practising ankle picks.

Posted On:
    9/10/2013 6:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Bonus: hold on to one lapel and you're now practising ankle picks.
    I really do miss ankle and knee picks as part of competition Judo.

However, I annoy my students by doing them in randori, as I don't compete anymore very often.

The whole using your hand to practice DAB seems a bit odd to me, though. But I've seen that drill.

The key is to have decent instruction and a good uke. Bad uke equals no ashi barai skill.

Posted On:
    9/11/2013 1:08am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poker View Post
    The first time I got it to work in randori was with a white belt (with a few years JJJ) who repeatedly stepped (lurched) in from too far out for a weak O soto gari with no kuzuchi.
    Took out a guy in shiai who had a slow turn-in for seoinage, actually got him leveled out flat in the air with it. Wish I had video, it was purty.
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    The whole using your hand to practice DAB seems a bit odd to me, though. But I've seen that drill.
    Doesn't do much for me either to be frank but seems to be a good drill for some people to understand the timing - just take out all the other distractions of technique and work on when to take out the ankle.

Posted On:
    9/11/2013 11:21am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Took out a guy in shiai who had a slow turn-in for seoinage, actually got him leveled out flat in the air with it. Wish I had video, it was purty.
    Doesn't do much for me either to be frank but seems to be a good drill for some people to understand the timing - just take out all the other distractions of technique and work on when to take out the ankle.
    I've seen it used in the context of explaining/demonstrating how the timing works.It's a tool in the kit but one that stays in the bottom of mine.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast