Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2013 10:47am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

When to use De Ashi Barai

It goes without saying that one should do sweeps during Judo, but I mean when are they most effective.

I know you want uke's foot to have little or no weight on the swept foot. One might intuit having uke move. However, how and why?

Thank you.

Posted On:
    4/12/2013 11:51am

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uke moves all the time. You just need to catch them at the right time. Practice the timing and you will find opportunity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2013 2:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Uke moves all the time. You just need to catch them at the right time. Practice the timing and you will find opportunity.
    Besides counters, when? Also,.how to drill?

Posted On:
    4/12/2013 2:17pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your sensei doesn't have drills for it? The two stock ones are to have uke and you stepping back and forth one footed. From a right-hand grip, step forward with your left foot, uke steps back with his right. Both keep the other foot planted. Now you step back as he steps forward. Back and forth, back and forth. At some point as he's moving forward, sweep his right leg with your left. Work with it until you don't have to look down, and you can catch the foot just as it's about to be settled. Make sure you're sweeping properly using your instep on his ankle, don't be kicking uke.

Once you've got that drill sorted, you can work on walking back and forth more naturally. Again, catch him as he's coming forward and about to plant. Once you've got that down, try catching him as he's stepping back and unweighting the forward foot.

If that's all working, try moving in a more natural judo fashion, ie not straight back and forth. Try to work the same timing in.

If you're having trouble with the timing, try this: kneel down in front of uke, and have him step back and forth like in the first drill. Try to sweep him with your left hand, ie you don't have to worry about your own movement or kuzushi or sweep technique, just catch his ankle with the palm of your hand at the right time.

Of course you can also sweep his left foot with your right, and you can do it either way from either left or right-handed grip. Kuzushi is easier sweeping his right foot from a right-handed grip and vice-versa.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2013 2:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, yes that stock drill with uke retreating I know.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/12/2013 2:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by faixabranca View Post
    Besides counters, when? Also,.how to drill?
    He wasn't referring to counters. You can use ashi barai as a counter, for example, if uke tries a forward throw, you block, then he reverses direction of turning to move back to his original position. Ask your coach to show you an example.

I now teach De Ashi Barai with uke and tori moving sideways. It's much easier than the forward/backword paradigm plus it's more realistic. Nobody worth worrying about moves around the tatami in an alternating step pattern, although that pattern IS useful for learning throws in the beginning.

1.) Assume uke and tori are in right shizentai, normal RH sleeve and lapel grip.

2.) Move to tori right, tori sweeps uke lead RH foot with his trailing left foot/leg.

3.) There are a lot of details, but a critical one is to push the sleeve grip (uke RH arm) across in front of his body. A mnemonic device is that the hikite follows the sweeping foot of tori (key point or yoten).

You will need to get an instructor to help you out. Learning ashi barai takes a lot of time and you need a good uke. Fortunately the falls are easy and you don't have to turn your back or lift uke. Unfortunately, the timing and feel take a while to develop..several months to feel like you have some proficiency (can throw your rank or lower in randori). Even then, like all throws, ashi barai are not always the best choice.

I was OK at De Ashi and Okuri Ashi Barai, but until I spent 6-8 months focusing on them with an expert, I could not pull them off with any regularity. And I was already a experienced shodan when I began that study, so all my other basics were very strong.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    4/12/2013 2:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can drill that style Ben just mentioned moving sideways across the tatami with or without uke. When Beaton-sensei comes to visit (he's the provincial high-performance coach, former Olympian) he will often have us drilling moving sideways with no uke, just working on that coordination between the the sleeve grip kuzushi and the sweep, emphasizing the straight leg and good hip action.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2013 3:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really like de ashi and also kouchi gari. Would those along with tsurikomi goshi be a good focus?

Posted On:
    4/12/2013 6:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    You can drill that style Ben just mentioned moving sideways across the tatami with or without uke. When Beaton-sensei comes to visit (he's the provincial high-performance coach, former Olympian) he will often have us drilling moving sideways with no uke, just working on that coordination between the the sleeve grip kuzushi and the sweep, emphasizing the straight leg and good hip action.
    Exactly. Ashi barai lend themselves well to tandoku renshuu (solo training). All the various patterns can be done solo to good effect if done correctly.

I went to starting with sideways motion because it's easier to learn and same principles apply.

Posted On:
    4/12/2013 6:24pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by faixabranca View Post
    I really like de ashi and also kouchi gari. Would those along with tsurikomi goshi be a good focus?
    I'd think you TSG would be getting pretty good by now, how's it going?

DAB and ouchi/kouchi are good to have as a core for sure. You want to start on ashi barai stuff early on as it takes a long time. Of course, none of it happens quickly, LOL.

Ben
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast