Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 9:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Nothing yet :(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Would Judo scupper my main training?

Woop! First post for a very long time lurker.

I'm a runner first and foremost and I'm training for a half marathon in six months. I'm aiming for around 2 hours so I'm not fast. I'm about to reach my target weekly schedule of 5 runs a week, 2 weight sessions and a pilates class and its not killing me completely.

Now, I really want to do something very different on the side. Judo's been one of my favourite Olympic sports for years and it turns out the local coach is excellent and has trained others to international level. I'm just looking for some good fun, increase my strength and maybe get to go to the odd competition. I'm 32 so the Olympics are out, alas. The club is 2 nights a week.

Honestly, do you think adding Judo into the mix would be okay, if not ideal? Are there any common injuries in Judo that could affect my running that I should be aware of? Or should I wait until I can give it my full attention and focus my runs and weights on judo relevancy?

FYI Shotokan karate gave me shin splints after 2 months. We were using a sprung floor used by the ballet school. Will I be okay on the judo mats?

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 10:38am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My personal opinion is that adding judo would be too much for you in general. As most judo programs ramp up in the fall you would probably be best off waiting until after your race to start.

On a side note, a 6 month cycle of 5 runs a week is a lot for targetting a 2 hour half. You'll probably crush your goal but listen to your body and drop runs if you are overly tired or injured.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 10:40am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go in and try it for a little while. You will be sore ibitially, but it should be okay if you learn ukemi and generally take it slow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 11:08am

Style: Muay Thai / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you get thrown and fall incorrectly there's a chance you could smash your ankles together and would affect your running. Any combat sport, for that matter, can cause injuries that may sideline your running for a bit. I would wait until after your marathon (as that is your goal at the momment) focus on training for that then join a martial art. Don't worry about your age, your in your 30's (as I am) and still plenty young to train in a martial art.

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 2:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's more important to you?

Winning your running events...or having useful fun with Judo?

Do an as-objective-as-possible CBA (cost-benefit-analysis).

Then decide.

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 2:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    What's more important to you?

Winning your running events...or having useful fun with Judo?

Do an as-objective-as-possible CBA (cost-benefit-analysis).

Then decide.
    He isn't going to be winning anything with that target time. So it's recreational in both cases. As a runner I totally understand the goal of running a half, especially a first half. The training can take a lot out of you, which is why I only train for races in the summer when I'm on a break from judo and down to just 1 kendo class/week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 3:44pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't start Judo if you're concerned you might not meet your target goal in your main sport. Running is what you like to do and what is rewarding to you.
    You may or may not feel the same rewards after you start Judo, but if you do you'll notice it can be very demanding at first, and that could definitely affect you.
    It's funny I've been thinking about the opposite situation lately. Both of my coaches are also runners and when they start telling me about this many miles and this and that race I unfortunately also think their Judo won't be as crisp.

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 3:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weezaholic View Post
    Both of my coaches are also runners and when they start telling me about this many miles and this and that race I unfortunately also think their Judo won't be as crisp.
    Physiologically it's a big trade-off, that's for sure. Start training seriously for long distances and you are going to lean out and loose power and explosiveness. But I'm over 50 now and don't really care. I like running, it's good for my health, it keeps my ass from requiring the entire couch...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 4:42pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Physiologically it's a big trade-off, that's for sure. Start training seriously for long distances and you are going to lean out and loose power and explosiveness. But I'm over 50 now and don't really care. I like running, it's good for my health, it keeps my ass from requiring the entire couch...

I may have already heard that explanation, verbatim. Lol. It's all about what's important to us.