Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 9:22am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking at getting a Hydra

Now that things seem to finally be calming down after months of "its the end of the world" price gouging (at least here in WY), prices are coming back down towards reality.

I'm looking at getting a new rifle. The Hydra has caught my eye....I like that I can basically get into two long guns (556 /762) for about $1600. Could probably get the office to sign off on getting it approved for work on the 556. Could utilize the 7.62 side of things for special duty assignments and other activities, including hunting.

Anyone here have personal experience with this rifle? I tried the search function, but I did not see anything regarding this.

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/m...e.php?id=25731 (I can't post the actual link from this damn tablet)

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 8:24pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems to me for that price you could get a good 5.56mm AR, especially if you build it up yourself and then get a 7.62x39 upper. That way if you decided you wanted to make the 7.62x39 AR its own platform all you'd have to get is a lower.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2013 12:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are correct. Part of the appeal is just to have the ability to interchange all the calibers on the same platform. Start with the 5.56 and 7.62, but there a numerous other options to grow with. Extremely practical? Probably not. But I think that all depends on how efficiently a person can move from one caliber to another. I do think it looks like a pretty good concept/system.

Posted On:
    4/12/2013 2:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being in CA I really like the hydra.
    As I can use my preban hicap mags with it in a featureless build.
    I can then swap it back to a bullet button build if and when I want all my "evil" features.
    I would actually probably get shipped as a "pistol" to have even more options now that the once a rifle always a rifle rule is out.
    Giving me a great deal of flexibility in the platform.

The real question for me to you is this, do you already have an abundance of AK style drums? Cause the fact it will accept one with the magwell change seems to me to be the only feature that makes its worth while to me vs just getting two different uppers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2013 7:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The overall flexibility in the single platform is what I like.

To answer your question: As of now, no, I don't own ANY drums. I have tended to keep my personal firearms compatible with what I can use at work...drums don't fit in there. Things have a way of changing though, and I am starting to expand to a couple "just for fun" items.

On a side note, I can't imagine the headache it must be to work around/within the CA restrictions.

Posted On:
    4/13/2013 7:37pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The AR is a pretty flexible platform without having to change the magwell. The biggest advantage I see with the "AR47" type hybrids is being able to use AK47 Mags or more precisely the hicap drums.

You can probably get more flexibility per dollar by sticking with Ar magwell since for the moment you can still get hicap mags for multiple calibers that fit the AR magwells.

From what I understand and it merits further investigation but I believe the Hydra lower is more picky about what uppers will run with it. So make sure before you buy you can slap on other peoples uppers.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    4/14/2013 9:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you thought about an AR upper chambered in 6.8 SPC? The 6.8 SPC was specifically designed to function in a standard AR (i.e. 5.56) lower and use existing M16/M4 magazines but be able to provide better terminal ballistics than the 5.56. I'm not a big AR fan (I'm a troglodyte and prefer wood and steel), but a friend of mine has an AR in 6.8 SPC and I can testify that it is effective on hogs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	557811_290683251032276_1250593397_n.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	14696
    This was a medium size hog my friend took at about 50yds with his 6.8SPC AR. He took a much bigger one from about 150yds a couple of weeks ago with the same rifle.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Posted On:
    4/14/2013 5:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The AR is amaizinlgy flexiable without having to go about changing the mag well.
    Here is a not complete list of calibers you can run in it.

AR-15, without bolt modification
    .17 Remington
    .17/223
    .20 Tactical
    .20 Practical
    .20 Vartag
    .204 Ruger
    .221 Fireball
    .222 Remington
    .222 Remington Magnum
    .223 Remington (5.56x45mm)
    .223 Remington Ackley Improved
    6x45mm
    6mm TCU
    6x47mm
    6mm Whisper
    .25x45mm
    6.5mm Whisper
    7mm Whisper
    7mm TCU
    .300 Whisper (.300/221, .300 Fireball)
    .338 Whisper

AR-15, with bolt modification
    223 WSSM
    5.45x39mm (.21 Genghis)
    243 WSSM
    6mm PPC
    6mm WOA
    6mm BR Remington
    6mm Hagar
    6.5mm PPC
    6.5 WSSM
    6.5 WOA
    6.5mm Grendel
    25 WSSM
    6.8x43mm SPC
    .30 Herrett Rimless Tactical (6.8x43mm case trimmed to 41mm and necked up to .308; the 6.8mm version of the .300 Whisper)
    7.62x25
    7.62x39mm
    .30 RAR
    300 OSSM
    .357 Auto
    .35 Gremlin (necked up 6.5 Grendel to 358)
    .358 WSSM (various names, but all are some form of a WSSM necked up to 35 caliber, some are shortened to make them big game legal in Indiana)
    .458 SOCOM
    .50 Action Express
    .50 Beowulf

taken from
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=337969

I didn't see the .338 specter on that list but its a round I am heavily leaning towards myself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2013 9:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good points. Brought up some things I hadn't considered; but that is why I posted here. I knew the "standard" AR was extremely flexible and could handle multiple calibers with out bolt mods, but holy **** that is a list.

TEA, I have not considered the 6.8 SPC. It looks like the hog agrees with your endorsement. Regs only allow for certain firearms in certain calibers. I am starting to look beyond those restrictions though.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    4/18/2013 5:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln5 View Post
    TEA, I have not considered the 6.8 SPC. It looks like the hog agrees with your endorsement. Regs only allow for certain firearms in certain calibers. I am starting to look beyond those restrictions though.
    Since the 6.8 SPC was developed by SOCOM (IIRC, mostly at the request of the SEALs) and was briefly considered by the Army as a replacement for the 5.56 (the idea was scrapped because it is a bad idea to change cartridges in the middle of a war), I would think you could get your department to reconsider its regs. If not, the same lower and magazines that you use for a 5.56 would work for a a 6.8.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.