245164 Bullies, 4204 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

1. 1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Unified Weapons Master Brings Armoured Combat

Unified Weapons Master Brings Armoured Combat

Historical European Martial Artists (HEMA) rejoice again! With recent news that the MMA organization M-1 will be adding armoured knight fighting, weapons enthusiasts have a lot to look forward to.

From their website:

A revolutionary, new combat sport and entertainment experience, Unified Weapons Master® combines cutting-edge technology with traditional martials arts weapons to allow real, weapons-based combat in a dynamic and highly entertaining format.

Our customised, intelligent armour and scoring system calculates the force and location of strikes to the fighters in real time enabling full-contact combat with extreme levels of protection. This means that for the first time ever, weapons-based martial arts experts from throughout the globe can compete against one another to determine who is the Unified Weapons Master®.

http://www.uwm.tv/

“For us it’s about honoring, preserving, and reigniting interest in weapons-based martial arts — arts that have sort of slowly drifted off of people’s radar since the invention of gunpowder and projectile weapons,” explains UWM co-founder and CEO David Pysden. “Since then, there’s been no forum in which to see weapons-based martial arts practiced, and we want to change that.”
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-te...ture-fighting/

Cool or super cool?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2015 11:36am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow..... am I dreaming? Awesome :)

Posted On:
    2/24/2015 8:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was wondering when we would see that suit.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/24/2015 9:39pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For being able to withstand full powered combat, they sure didn't show much full powered combat in their demo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2015 10:26pm

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    For being able to withstand full powered combat, they sure didn't show much full powered combat in their demo.
    Agreed, and they kind of lost me at the three-sectioned staff thing. I'm not sure it would win, but it ought to be in the running for stupidest weapon idea.

Posted On:
    2/25/2015 11:43am

Style: FMA/MMA(ish)/HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Said it before and I'll say it again. Unless they get the sensors really really right this is just going to turn into WEKAF-style all offense, no defense standing and bashing.

Fear is the only darkness.

Posted On:
    2/25/2015 5:32pm

supporting member
     Style: 無木兔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Call me skeptical. I was watching some of their other videos particular the armor component materials tests. The armor seems pretty high tech stuff...but let's face it, armor won't necessarily protect against serious injury if this stuff does rise to what Permalost would describe as "full contact", fangs-out weaponplay...

I have to say though, medieval knights never had the luxury of this kind of head protection. Getting bashed in the head wearing a plate helm still meant concussion or death.. Now we have composite layers of impact resistant synthetics.

I was looking for some helmet tests because if you really want this to work, you need to include full contact head shots, which the OP video has zero of.

This video at the end has some nice footage showing just how strong this armor is. Still...getting a full staff strike to the head region might give you a concussion based on your head/body movement alone...recent studies have proven helmets may protect from external contact, but they don't protect the brain from the interior of the skull all that well.

Also trying to determine the density of some of this wood based on acoustics...doesn't seem like the strongest materials are being used for these demos..especially the breaking sticks at the end.

What they really need is a good old fashioned IRON LONG STAFF. I'd love to see that helmet test..

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/25/2015 5:35pm at .

Posted On:
    2/25/2015 5:55pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've whacked people with a rattan staff and have seen some Dog Brothers staff fights (I'll only staff fight in tournaments with protective gear and stuff cause hard contact with minimal gear scares me when it comes to staves). My verdict: there's low-tech armor that takes a lot of the sting out of a staff strike, but you may still get some ringing ears and more contact than you bargained for. What you may not consider, though, is that the helmet only does part of the job but the neck is where you can take a lot of damage when a staff displaces your head. This is why those self defense suits have a cervical collar, and well made armor often has something similar. So, I imagine if this suit is well-made and protects the neck from whiplash, its probably safe for hard sparring.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Said it before and I'll say it again. Unless they get the sensors really really right this is just going to turn into WEKAF-style all offense, no defense standing and bashing.
    I don't really get why that happens though. Sure, the padding means it doesn't hurt when you get hit, but it doesn't hurt when you get hit in fencing and it doesn't turn into all offense. I think they just need a ruleset that encourages "hit and don't be hit". Both halves are important. Maybe the number of points scored is subtracted by number of times hit.

Posted On:
    2/26/2015 4:53am

Style: FMA/MMA(ish)/HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I don't really get why that happens though. Sure, the padding means it doesn't hurt when you get hit, but it doesn't hurt when you get hit in fencing and it doesn't turn into all offense. I think they just need a ruleset that encourages "hit and don't be hit". Both halves are important. Maybe the number of points scored is subtracted by number of times hit.
    Yeah, which is why I think the way the sensors work will be critical to keeping this realistic.

Also something that's probably worth mentioning is that historically armoured combat was pretty different from unarmoured. What this is trying to do is unarmoured technique while wearing armour (for safety).

Posted On:
    2/26/2015 12:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    historically armoured combat was pretty different from unarmoured. What this is trying to do is unarmoured technique while wearing armour (for safety).
    This is true, but isn't it true for pretty much all weapon fighting arts that put on armor and spar? I mean, in kendo or fencing or WEKAF you don't try to wrench the guy's helmet off or dagger them in the unprotected areas.