Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2013 11:58am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Back to BJJ with a Herniated Disc

Ladies and Gents,

So it's been about two months since I've been on the mat (taking a hiatus that's about as long as my total training time is always nice) and I'm making my return to BJJ. With a herniated C6/C7 disc, I underwent a little over a month of physical therapy and now feel much, much better. My question for the jits/judo/SAMBO practitioners out there:

Are there any techniques/exercises/subs that should be modified or avoided altogether? Obviously, avoiding neck cranks, being extra careful to use the shoulder during rolls (not rolling) come to mind.

Very excited to get back to the gym but a little skittish too. Trying to be as smart/proactive as possible, and also do extra neck strengthening exercises, but any tips from the collective experiential wisdom here would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to speak to my coach at length after class today, but I most likely won't have time to do so beforehand.

Thanks

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 12:06am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KickPuncher View Post
    Ladies and Gents,

So it's been about two months since I've been on the mat (taking a hiatus that's about as long as my total training time is always nice) and I'm making my return to BJJ. With a herniated C6/C7 disc, I underwent a little over a month of physical therapy and now feel much, much better. My question for the jits/judo/SAMBO practitioners out there:

Are there any techniques/exercises/subs that should be modified or avoided altogether? Obviously, avoiding neck cranks, being extra careful to use the shoulder during rolls (not rolling) come to mind.

Very excited to get back to the gym but a little skittish too. Trying to be as smart/proactive as possible, and also do extra neck strengthening exercises, but any tips from the collective experiential wisdom here would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to speak to my coach at length after class today, but I most likely won't have time to do so beforehand.

Thanks
    General items on safety as I'm no medical person/expert:
    - If the PT has cleared you, cool, if not don't be an idiot and keep resting

- Some guys at the gym have had similar issues, talk with your physio about the movements involved for basic drilling, hip escapes etc, so he can see how you need to move and can recommend based on that

- If PT is all clear to go back after discussing with him, only drill, no free rolling, no crazy stuff, know your limits, and stay to it, otherwise you'll be out longer or permanently

- Work only with partners that understand your injury and know what's happened, anyone else could cause a whole heap of issues

- Even though it's hard, no rolling

- No rolling

- Ease into it
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 12:55pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How'd you wreck your disc, bro?

If you don't mind me asking.

Posted On:
    4/13/2013 6:46pm

Style: Does exercise count?

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have feeling I'm going to become "that guy" because I can't help but jump in to say that pain and injury are very different things that correlate in severity very poorly with one another.

Furthermore, attributing pain to anything disc related is an extremely tenuous conclusion, though many medical professionals still do it regularly. Depending on age and population, if you took 100 people of the street with 0 pain or disability, it would be completely reasonable to see some form of spinal or disc "degeneration" in around 50% of them. This has been done repeatedly.

So what to do? I'm no physio, but I think it's safe to assume that you allow for adequate rest depending on the diagnosis given by the PT, reintroduce gentle movement, strengthen the area and its surroundings, then slowly reintroduce progressively more strenuous regular activity like sports.

Sources:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8208267
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2312537
    http://www.bboyscience.com/strains/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2013 12:13am

Style: MMA, BJJ, Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow, I have the exact same injury with the addition of a minor fracture to C6. It happened from a bad fall while skiing. It has been about 14 months since my injury and I am practicing BJJ and kickboxing currently. I have had no major complications since the original injury but pain comes and goes. Just when I think things are getting better my neck will get tweaked while rolling or while lifting and then it hurts for a week.
    My herniated disk was also correlated with tightness and dysfunction in the upper back and shoulders. For this reason I continue to practice my physical therapy exercises RIGOROUSLY. Pay very close attention to your posture and correct form during exercise. Strengthen the rhomboids to stabilize the upper thoracic and cervical spine. Strengthen your scapular protractors with exercises like this

Stretch your chest and upper traps often.

This injury has changed the way I exercise and has made more more cautious while rolling. My biggest fear is going against a wrestler and getting dropped on my head. I like to let people know about my injury before we roll. I usually tap to triangle chokes or guillotines or anything that puts a lot of pressure on my neck even if the submission isn't really there. If your like me, you will end up geting a lot of knots and tightness in the neck and upper back after this injury. Once again pay very close attention to posture, little things like sitting over a desk and computer for several hours may create noticeable discomfort. Ice and massage will be your best friend.
    I wish you the best of luck and hopefully we can help each other since we are in very similar circumstances. This is a frustrating injury because you never really know whats going on with your disk or if it is healing or not.