Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2013 7:03pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Why wear a mouth guard while doing BJJ? Unless you have braces, really weak/bad teeth, or some other sort of detifrice?

Mouthguards and cups for normal grappling (no striking) has always impressed me as overkill.
    For the first 6 years I did jits I never wore a mouth guard. Now I always wear one. Though I don't have the greatest teeth thanks to some poor decisions when I was younger and dumber...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2013 2:17am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keej613 View Post
    I know one guy (at another school) who wears a mouth guard, a cup and (wrestling) ear guards to every training session. After getting getting one of his ears drained after a bashing (to prevent cauliflowering), he just doesn't want to take any chances.
    I never wore a cup for BJJ, but always a mouth guard (lots of expensive cosmetic fixes after coming off bikes and skateboards in my youth).

I didn't start wearing headgear, but the last 2 years I did. I've got a few bumps you can recognize as from rolling (if you know what you're looking at), but the reason was it got to the point that my ears were constantly sore (in and out of class), and if I got mashed once to start class it'd be pretty miserable the rest of the time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2013 3:22am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    It's an interesting contrast to Judo, which is basically identical in groudnwork, even higher impact with all the standup throwing, where hardly anyone without braces or other dental issues wears a mouthguard and never cups (illegal in comps).
    Quite. The closest thing to a cup I have been recommended by experienced Judoka is compression shorts to keep your balls from whacking together.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/14/2013 7:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    For the first 6 years I did jits I never wore a mouth guard. Now I always wear one. Though I don't have the greatest teeth thanks to some poor decisions when I was younger and dumber...
    Makes sense to me for sure. If someone wants to wear a mouthguard, it does't give me heartburn. Hard cups though or hard ear guards though, annoy me greatly.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2013 2:53pm

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update:

Maybe it's just a placebo effect but eating a banana or two on training days and drinking coconut water with ice throughout my sessions seems to be helping a lot. Thanks for the advice, guys!

Another quick question that sortof relates to overheating: I find no-gi kinda gross and my wife is going to freak the **** out if I ever come home with ringworm or staph or other nastiness. A lot of guys at my gym wear tights / long spats / compression pants under their shorts. I usually roll with long-sleeved dry fit shirt (which I'll probably swap for a proper rash guard soon) and I'm thinking of giving tights / spats a shot. I've noticed that some brands (like Under Armor and Hayabusa) make specific references to retaining heat while others (Scramble, Tatami, Adidas, etc) don't. Are there certain types types of tights / spats that are designed to retain heat and others that aren't?

Thanks!

Update:

Maybe it's just a placebo effect but eating a banana or two on training days and drinking coconut water with ice throughout my sessions seems to be helping a lot. Thanks for the advice, guys!

Another quick question that sortof relates to overheating: I find no-gi kinda gross and my wife is going to freak the **** out if I ever come home with ringworm or staph or other nastiness. A lot of guys at my gym wear tights / long spats / compression pants under their shorts. I usually roll with long-sleeved dry fit shirt (which I'll probably swap for a proper rash guard soon) and I'm thinking of giving tights / spats a shot. I've noticed that some brands (like Under Armor and Hayabusa) make specific references to retaining heat while others (Scramble, Tatami, Adidas, etc) don't. Are there certain types types of tights / spats that are designed to retain heat and others that aren't?

Thanks!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234