My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    4/09/2013 6:37am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keej613 View Post
    One of my friends mentioned potassium and suggested coconut water. What's the link between temperature control and potassium?
    I was going to ask the same question as JNP.
    Potassium plays several roles in the body but the the one that I think matters here, mind you I am not a doctor, is that is is used to help transport fluids and elecrolytes through out the body.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2013 9:01am

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the tips so far, guys.

I trained last night and still felt like I was over-heating so I'll try a few things in the next few sessions. For potassium, I'll eat a few bananas ahead of time and bring along some coconut water. Before I buy a single weave gi, I'll try a rashguard to see if that makes a difference. Ultimately, if things don't get better, I'll try a single weave gi.

Posted On:
    4/09/2013 4:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keej613 View Post
    Thanks for the tips so far, guys.

I trained last night and still felt like I was over-heating so I'll try a few things in the next few sessions. For potassium, I'll eat a few bananas ahead of time and bring along some coconut water. Before I buy a single weave gi, I'll try a rashguard to see if that makes a difference. Ultimately, if things don't get better, I'll try a single weave gi.
    I wore a rash guard once under my gi, I was sweating like a whore in church.

Posted On:
    4/09/2013 4:52pm

Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    I wore a rash guard once under my gi, I was sweating like a whore in church.

Edit: this does not appear to be working. Meh.
    Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Posted On:
    4/09/2013 8:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My "rip-stop" material gi is much, much cooler than my single weave.

Posted On:
    4/09/2013 8:44pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP, try and make sure you're keeping track of your breathing. I have HUGE sinus issues and training while it's blocked is pretty much like a shitty Training Mask. I find I overheat EVERYTIME I CAN'T BREATHE RIGHT.

If you have no sinus issues or breathing is going well, just pay attention to make sure you are keeping your breathing consistent as you're rolling/training and see if this helps.

Otherwise, ICE WATER as well on the side for your water breaks. This will really help drop your core temperature back down and stop your body getting to the 'too hot' level.

Something else I was playing with was Ice packs/Ice water in a lunch box and immersing my hand in the water for 30 seconds while I had my drink breaks. This was a huge benefit when I was doing intensive round/pressure training, and I'll keep doing it as well as my body heat drops significantly while I do it so I can get back into rounds faster. It'd be way better if I had a vaccuum in which to put my hand with cold items in, but I have no such luxary at the moment ;).

Regarding the hand cooling, I basically extrapolated from this research, which is pretty interesting in itsefl: http://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/a...ch-082912.html
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Posted On:
    4/09/2013 9:46pm

Style: FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't speak w too much experience here, but i live in humid as Florida. I'm used to humidity and heat.when i roll o goo with just a gi. A rash guard only locks in the heat, when i wear one i feel like I'm wearing a latex jumpsuit. Lose the rash guard when you can, see if it makes a difference for you.

Posted On:
    4/09/2013 11:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you do want to wear a rash guard look at one of those sports compressiony tops instead. That I think are a bit lighter.

For Australia. You can get Slazenger brand at Big W that is pretty goood and cheap.

For everyone else you will need to by skins and morgage the house.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    4/10/2013 9:34am

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your body is constantly generating and transferring heat to the air around you, visible (below using a special camera) as something known as the human thermal plume:

When you exercise, the rate of heat transfer increases significantly in proportion to your increased metabolic rate. This happens because the hypothalamus wants to keep the body at a cool 98.5 degrees. Some (not all) of the Calories you burn during exercise are kilocalories of heat energy seen in the plume exhaust.

A couple of conditions can cause this heat transfer to slow down or stop completely which is very bad for anyone, especially performance athletes and martial artists. With no way to exhaust heat, the hypothalamus begins to have trouble regulating body temperature, you begin to suffer symptoms of heat exhaustion which can quickly lead to heat stroke and death.

What are the conditions? There are a few to watch out for.

Inability to aerate. Without the ability to plume, heat will build up inside the body. Wick clothing help by allowing you to sweat, which absorbs heat and then is wicked away. On the other hand, I've seen guys sit in sauna suits for way too long and get sick. Or those dumbasses who die in the sweat lodges...same thing.

Inability to sweat. Sweat is an important intermediary between the body's internal heat and the air. If you stop sweating during heavy exercise, stop exercising, it's a sign you need to recover.

Exhaustion of electrolytes. This will cause the body's entire cooling mechanism to perform poorly, and has a very negative effect on the hypothalamus. The solution is gatorade, bananas, or a dab of salt in your water.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/10/2013 4:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have long hair, cut. Or get a buzz cut anyway. That will help keep you cooler for sure.

Also, the better trained you are, the less the heat will bother you. That means overall aerobic condition, etc. I used to live in Texas, and in the summer time it was over 100 deg F every day, including in the evening during Judo practice (no AC either at the dojo). It's a matter of staying hydrated before, during and after practice, wearing a lightweight uniform, and using cold rags or water directly on the back on your neck and inside of wrists during breaks to help cool back down.

You will have to gradually acclimatize yourself. I used to train in the winter in sweats to help me stay accustomed to being hot while training (no heat in the dojo either, LOL).

Whatever you do don't push yourself too hard when you start to overheat, it can be dangerous or even fatal. It's not really how tough you are, it's what your body is ready and trained to handle.

ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast