Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 11:24am

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    Yeah, YMAS works. It's not worth a full investigation at this point, and we can just basically mock the **** out of them.

Seriously, it's jackasses like this who give legitimate CMA/JMA fusions like Bok Fu Do a bad name.

Yeah, YMAS works. It's not worth a full investigation at this point, and we can just basically mock the **** out of them.

Seriously, it's jackasses like this who give legitimate CMA/JMA fusions like Bok Fu Do a bad name.
    So nice you said it twice. Happening alot round here.

They really do need a good mocking, at least that way a search for them will show they are not taken seriously at least not here. Never heard of Bok Fu Do..I will have a look be good to have a clear example of good v bad fusions.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 1:01pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bok Fu Do is what you get when Kenpo takes a solid look at researching its Chinese roots...and decides to test itself in full contact Chinese Boxing on the leitai.

Bok Fu Do is what you get when Kenpo takes a solid look at researching its Chinese roots...and decides to test itself in full contact Chinese Boxing on the leitai.

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 1:05pm

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's an entirely different way of flying, altogether.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 4/24/2013 1:12pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 1:32pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only Bok Fu Do guy I've ever met thought he was the **** when he really sucked, but I think every style has that.

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 2:00pm

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    The only Bok Fu Do guy I've ever met thought he was the **** when he really sucked, but I think every style has that.
    There are no good kung fu masters, only the many degrees of terrible.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 5:07am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gary Henshaw has replied, he replied a week ago but it went to my spam folder which I only now thought to check. Unfortunately when I marked it 'not spam' it vanished and I'm having trouble finding it!
    I skim read it before I lost it and can say Mr Henshaw is aware of this thread and of course not very happy. When I find it I will post the answers he gave. Gary, if your reading this please accept my apologies for not acknowledging your email reply to my enquiry.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 5:35am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is the message:

Hello Resonance10 / Nick

I tried to reply to your email when it was received but it is coming up with a delivery unavailable message, the email address you provided was chapmanln@gmail.co.uk which isn't responding.

I am sickened that this has been raised in such a way and so publicly, but I would like to try to provide you and the forum with as much information as possible to try to clear my name and the name of my Club, which has only been open for 7 weeks now.

I have trained with Phillip Barnes since 1988. At that time, he was a Si-Fu but was also training with his friend of his Grand Master Phillip Milner of the International Budo Association.

Since that time I have trained under Phillip Barnes, at times two and three times a week, and have devoted my life to the study of the style, that I was told is Chu'an Fa Tang Gar.

We had a set syllabus that was worked through and we trained to and from my initial grading in 1988 it took me until 1995 to achieve my 1st Duan in this art, which both me and my mother did simultaneously. Not long after that my Dad also graded and was awarded his first Duan Also.

In respect to Phill Barnes Lineage, I can provide you with this from the Chinese master that he was taught by, which is basically the same information on the tang lang website. I also have the list of the previous Grand Masters which I can email you with directly if you could give me an Email address I will forward this to you which I did try to do with the original "contact us" request.

Following gaining our first Duans, we also began to train with Phillip Milner and the International Budo Association. This was where we learnt and we graded in the arts of Ju-Jitsu, Atemi-Jutsu and Kobu-Jutsu. And when this occurred all of our grades were registered and ratified by the IBA and are still listed on their website too : http://www.iba.eu.com/members
    During the years we were training with Phil Milner of the IBA, just before his death in 2000 awarded Phillip Barnes the title of Shihan, Which is the title that I and other members still address him as.
    Also the website address that was listed for the ASMAA SDF is wrong. The one listed is another affiliated club that Dave Turton went to do a seminar for, and this is in no way connected with them in anyway.

The web address for the ASMAA SDF is http://www.asmaa.org.uk/
    and David Turton has been in Martial arts for over 50 years, and trained with many high ranking martial artists, and has written many articles for Combat magazine and Martial Arts Illustrated.

I want to clear this all up as quickly as possible, as I have dedicated a lot of my life to this art, and can see that there are a lot of people with issues, over our credibility and quality of tuition given.

I can only say that I do not charge a lot for my lessons as you see and can verify from living in the UK, I am not out to rob anyone, and I most definitely am not training to get anyone hurt. This is why I am fully insured and DBS checked, conforming to every legal obligation that I need to be able to teach legally. The digs on the site about what I am teaching, I feel are unfounded as everyone�s opinions are being based around a few photos that are taken from our student info pack which has photos of all the techniques and stances etc., to allow the students to practice at home to make sure they have everything in order for gradings etc.

I feel very upset that some of the comments that brand me unsafe and dangerous and absolute bullshit when all people have done is look through the website.

But that being said, I have known of fraudulent Martial Artists on the scene, and know why this is being done, and in light of the information brought forward. I just hope to be able to iron everything out and set the record straight.

There are some things I do not know and cannot answer especially in regards to the wording of Chu'an Fa Tang Gar and the translation and what it is/should be, so I will be contacting Phillip Barnes, and asking for his help/input into this thread and also for him to post more information on his history.

Please do not hesitate to give me any questions and I will be more than happy to try to help clear things up where I can.
    My reply:

Hi Gary,
    Thanks for your reply and sorry I wrote my email wrong! I will post your email on the thread concerning your style, perhaps you would consider joining the discussion? Understand it is a website made up of sceptics who
    require evidence of claims. Should you come forward to help us understand what you are doing please bear it in mind.

Thanks again for your reply, Nick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 7:59am

Style: Lung Ying Kung Fu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey look you received a response! This response is primarily for Mr. Henshaw should he decide to check out the forum...

Yes, you are receiving criticism, primarily based on the information on your website. In many cases, your website will be a person's first contact with you and your school. You only get one chance to make a first impression and for many people a visit to your site will be doing this for you. This is why it is important to be informative and clear with what content you do provide. Your school's site was originally noticed because of the unusual name combination (as a few have pointed out). We are all inherently skeptical (especially on Bullshido), of anyone who has "created" their own style regardless of their background. As you pointed out, there is a lot of crap out there which unfortunately give a bad name to people who take Martial Arts seriously. I have no doubt that you are dedicated to what you teach and to your students, however, you should expect to be questioned on the legitimacy of your claims by any serious player with a basic understanding of martial arts and/or Asian culture in general. After all, choosing a style/school that one might dedicate many years of one's life to is a big decision not to be made lightly. I will not reiterate all of the points people have made, but the best thing to do is to answer the questions posed to the best of your ability. This may or may not change people's opinions, but at least you will be making an effort to help us understand. Most importantly, don't take the criticisms to heart. We tend to poke fun at just about everything at some point in time or another.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 10:12am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If this should evolve into an informative thread I am sure a Mod would cull all our off topic posts so the thread could ( depending on his answers ) be a boon to Mr Henshaw rather than a stick in the eye as it is now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2013 6:17pm

Style: Lung Ying Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I truly hope he joins the discussion. I am quite interested in what he has to say. Everyone deserves to at least tell their side before a final judgement is passed.
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast