Page 1 of 17 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 6:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tang Lang Kung Jutsu

Just moved up to Notts, found a martial arts club near me that is ringing alarm bells, the name alone is odd, a mix of Japanese and Chinese. Tang Lang Kung Jutsu is what it's called, the self proclaimed "soke" is about 30 and a 6th dan in about 5 different arts. If he was legit I'd be up for training there but I wondered if anyone knew the "soke" or the style?

I am interested in learning Mantis though!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 6:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crab View Post
    Just moved up to Notts, found a martial arts club near me that is ringing alarm bells, the name alone is odd, a mix of Japanese and Chinese. Tang Lang Kung Jutsu is what it's called, the self proclaimed "soke" is about 30 and a 6th dan in about 5 different arts. If he was legit I'd be up for training there but I wondered if anyone knew the "soke" or the style?

I am interested in learning Mantis though!
    Personally i would stay the **** away.

His Sifu in 'Chuan-fa' was a Shihan !? There's so much weird its made me a bit queasy.

http://www.tanglang.co.uk/evolution.php

Ask him who graded him in the constituent arts that make up his 'style' and ask for dates, verification and grade.

Why Mantis?
    Last edited by Resonance10; 4/06/2013 6:45pm at . Reason: add link

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 8:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chuan fa is generic for "fist techniques". Lang Shou is the "original name of the style" which would mean "Mantis Hand". Tang Gar is obvious.

But "Chu’an Fa Tang Gar Kung Fu"?

This name makes no sense...this translates to "Fist Techniques Tang Family". It should have been "Tang Gar Quan Fa" (Tang Family Fist Techniques) or "Tang Gar Lang Shou Quan Fa" (Tang Family Mantis Hand Fist Techniques".

Sounds like another white guy fucking with Chinese and Japanese to sound more legitimate. Legitimate sifus tend to NOT abuse the languages of their styles...they tend to respect them enough not to try.

And I love this contradiction, where someone claims an

extensive lineage that traces back over 2000 years.
    Right after stating the first traceable GM is actually 400 years ago. The other 1600 are somewhere around here...

The first traceable Grand Master I have been able to find is Ch’iang Tao Li who was born in 1585 and died in 1663 the art then had the name Lang Shou

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2013 9:12am

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Chuan fa is generic for "fist techniques". Lang Shou is the "original name of the style" which would mean "Mantis Hand". Tang Gar is obvious.

But "Chu’an Fa Tang Gar Kung Fu"?

This name makes no sense...this translates to "Fist Techniques Tang Family". It should have been "Tang Gar Quan Fa" (Tang Family Fist Techniques) or "Tang Gar Lang Shou Quan Fa" (Tang Family Mantis Hand Fist Techniques".

Sounds like another white guy fucking with Chinese and Japanese to sound more legitimate. Legitimate sifus tend to NOT abuse the languages of their styles...they tend to respect them enough not to try.

And I love this contradiction, where someone claims an

Right after stating the first traceable GM is actually 400 years ago. The other 1600 are somewhere around here...
    He tries or rather his 'sifu' tries to qualify the use of 'Chuan-fa'. He fails. As you say WRabbit it is looking like the usual ignorant cultural misappropriation.

If the OP doesn't do it I will email this guy some questions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2013 9:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Feel free to contact him, i have no idea about Chinese martial arts and wouldn't know where to start!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2013 9:44am

supporting member
     Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just from very briefly skimming the site, it seems training is organised into "Kihon, Kata and Kumite". These are (as I'm sure you know) Japanese terms, commonly used in Karate Dojos.

First impressions scream rebranded Karate to me.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/07/2013 1:01pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll sum up my opinions based on what I've read and seen on that site.

"BULLSHIT"

Go find another school
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2013 4:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, thanks for the help guys, I had a nagging suspicion it was bollocks, he looks deluded, I liked the strings on the glasses in the katana pic. Is there a martial application for those?

And I was interested in mantis as I spent some time doing wing chun and fancied something similar but apparently more sensible...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2013 5:25pm

Style: Lung Ying Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow... That website is outstanding. (insert sarcasm) Real deal southern mantis is the ****, but I would be suprised if this fellow was legit. If nothing else he seems to be very confused. Kind of looks like an English Don "the dragon" Wilson. And yes, the string on the glasses whilst holding katana is bad-ass!

Posted On:
    4/08/2013 7:11pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anybody contacted this puissant martial artist yet? I would most definitely like to receive whatever wisdom he cares to dispense.
Page 1 of 17 1 234511 ... LastLast