Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 5:33pm

Style: Escrima n00b

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Either it's school holidays somewhere or we urgently need to invent a device that allows people to punch other people in the face over the internet.

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 5:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje View Post
    Either it's school holidays somewhere or we urgently need to invent a device that allows people to punch other people in the face over the internet.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 7:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whats going on round here. The recent influx of daftness seems almost intentional.

OP, are you on school holidays? Did KFMag Forum send you? Have you ever been punched in the face.... really punched with intent to harm your person? If so was that person skilled?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2013 12:08pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel this thread should be moved to YMAS.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/08/2013 8:17am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Based on the other posts, I believe this person is underage. He mentions not having his drivers license & Grandpa taking him to karate class.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/08/2013 9:10am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I agree with BJMills, move it to YMAS.

And years ago there was a thread that talked of various techniques from karate that work against shoots, but it was agreed that they take lots of skill and are low percentage compared to sprawling or projectile diarrhea.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    4/08/2013 9:27am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed, if it sounds like Pokemon, it's meant for YMAS.

E.g. "MMA is invulnerable except I found their secret vulnerability: its lightning attacks from Okinawa!!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2013 9:54am

Style: Karate, w/ a side of judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorin-ken View Post
    A lot of people think MMA is invincible and Okinawan Karate is useless but I've seen MMA's greatest flaw time and time again. Like Bruce Lee studying boxing videos I notice that most Mixed Martial Artists tend to get real tense while fighting (other than Lyoto Machida and Anderson Silva who are very relaxed and sometimes loose). Another thing I noticed is almost all of them tend to always fight directly at their opponent; in a straight line. That however can be avoided if (with perfect timing and elusive footwork) you move out of the way by rotating both your shoulders and your hips at the same time. The secret is to avoid the tackle which is a move that often seen as MMA's most signature but near impossible to defend against. The secret is to keep moving out of the way in a style of footwork widely used in Kung Fu. Elusive footwork is probably the best way to defend against wrestling moves like tackling. But if he does manage to drag you to the ground just relax and become loose that way it will be easier to worm your way out of a kimura or choke hold. Grappling is one thing but stand-up is even more dangerous since fighters tend to loose themselves while exchanging blows. If he knows Muay Thai, Boxing, Kyokushin or all of the above then don't be afraid to use knees and elbows since Okinawan Karate does include techniques very similar to Muay Boran. Well those are my opinions on using Classical Karate against Modern Combat Sports and if you want you could use Tuite just in case you want to tap him out.
    I train in Okinawan karate, and I love it as much as the next karateka, but you seriously need to do some MMA-rules sparring with contact--it doesn't have to be full contact, but you need to at least come out with some bruises when you're done. Yes, good footwork and stances can be used to defend against single- and double-leg takedowns, but it's not easy if your opponent is good, and if beating a skilled grappler on the ground was as simple as "be relaxed" and "worm your way out" then nobody would need to train in grappling.

Traditional Okinawan karate most certainly has a wide variety of great techniques, and it does include striking and grappling components, but it isn't a complete fighting system--especially when you are fighting a trained opponent. That's why karate masters of old cross-trained all the time, and most of them had reputations as excellent grapplers in tegumi (tegumi is the predecessor to modern shima, or "Okinawan sumo", and included groundwork and submissions). Karate was MMA more than 100 years before the UFC, and somehow that idea started going away sometime in the 1930's and when Shotokan blew up it disappeared almost completely.

If you want to be a truly traditional Okinawan karateka, train your karate with intent, study and drill practical kata applications, and cross-train to fill in the gaps. I jumped into judo for about 4 years and regularly integrate that into my karate to supplement my takedowns, takedown defense, and groundwork, and we spar with MMA-rules and medium contact to get a feel for what works and what doesn't. My instructor has done cross-training in Japanese jujutsu and BJJ, and regularly brings that into classes and sparring, as well. If I didn't have that judo experience, I can tell you that I would be in some serious trouble on the ground, relaxed or not.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/08/2013 10:24am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fly me to your school. I will teach you the secret bunkai to Naihanchi that will enable you to beat Ultimate Fighters.

Posted On:
    4/08/2013 12:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    Fly me to your school. I will teach you the secret bunkai to Naihanchi that will enable you to beat Ultimate Fighters.
    Make it a TV show: Star Tekki
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast