Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 11:40am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ryukyu/Japanese Bujutsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tips on using Okinawan Karate against MMA

A lot of people think MMA is invincible and Okinawan Karate is useless but I've seen MMA's greatest flaw time and time again. Like Bruce Lee studying boxing videos I notice that most Mixed Martial Artists tend to get real tense while fighting (other than Lyoto Machida and Anderson Silva who are very relaxed and sometimes loose). Another thing I noticed is almost all of them tend to always fight directly at their opponent; in a straight line. That however can be avoided if (with perfect timing and elusive footwork) you move out of the way by rotating both your shoulders and your hips at the same time. The secret is to avoid the tackle which is a move that often seen as MMA's most signature but near impossible to defend against. The secret is to keep moving out of the way in a style of footwork widely used in Kung Fu. Elusive footwork is probably the best way to defend against wrestling moves like tackling. But if he does manage to drag you to the ground just relax and become loose that way it will be easier to worm your way out of a kimura or choke hold. Grappling is one thing but stand-up is even more dangerous since fighters tend to loose themselves while exchanging blows. If he knows Muay Thai, Boxing, Kyokushin or all of the above then don't be afraid to use knees and elbows since Okinawan Karate does include techniques very similar to Muay Boran. Well those are my opinions on using Classical Karate against Modern Combat Sports and if you want you could use Tuite just in case you want to tap him out.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 11:46am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well what are you waiting for? when do we get to see videos of you winning MMA matches?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 12:10pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorin-ken View Post
    The secret is to avoid the tackle which is a move that often seen as MMA's most signature but near impossible to defend against. The secret is to keep moving out of the way in a style of footwork widely used in Kung Fu. Elusive footwork is probably the best way to defend against wrestling moves like tackling.
    1993 called and asked for its paradigm back.

That you refer to it as a tackle is highly revealing, and indicates you have no idea how a double-leg/shoot is performed. That you have no defence against a kimura or choke, except by worming your way out, says you've no idea how BJJ works.

I'm willing to be proven wrong, though. All I would need to see is video of you fighting against an MMA'er, and prevailing using your techniques as you've outlined, rather than re-treading arguments from 20 years ago.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 12:30pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, the put up or shut up site. Let us see you in action my friend.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 12:50pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen MMA's greatest flaw time and time again. Like Bruce Lee studying boxing videos I notice that most Mixed Martial Artists tend to get real tense while fighting (other than Lyoto Machida and Anderson Silva who are very relaxed and sometimes loose).
    Yeah you're just like Bruce Lee watching boxing videos and you know MMA's great secret flaw, and that two guys who fit your bill and you've never met are really loose.

Just shut the **** up.

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 4:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of people think MMA is invincible and Okinawan Karate is useless but I've seen MMA's greatest flaw time and time again. Like Bruce Lee studying boxing videos I notice that most Mixed Martial Artists tend to get real tense while fighting (other than Lyoto Machida and Anderson Silva who are very relaxed and sometimes loose). Another thing I noticed is almost all of them tend to always fight directly at their opponent; in a straight line. That however can be avoided if (with perfect timing and elusive footwork) you move out of the way by rotating both your shoulders and your hips at the same time. The secret is to avoid the tackle which is a move that often seen as MMA's most signature but near impossible to defend against. The secret is to keep moving out of the way in a style of footwork widely used in Kung Fu. Elusive footwork is probably the best way to defend against wrestling moves like tackling. But if he does manage to drag you to the ground just relax and become loose that way it will be easier to worm your way out of a kimura or choke hold. Grappling is one thing but stand-up is even more dangerous since fighters tend to loose themselves while exchanging blows. If he knows Muay Thai, Boxing, Kyokushin or all of the above then don't be afraid to use knees and elbows since Okinawan Karate does include techniques very similar to Muay Boran. Well those are my opinions on using Classical Karate against Modern Combat Sports and if you want you could use Tuite just in case you want to tap him out.
    Putting a lot of theories on the internet proves nothing.

Backing them up in the real world--by writing them on paper--now that would be true fighting cred.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 4:47pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Elusive footwork is probably the best way to defend against wrestling moves like tackling.
    It is indeed possible to avoid a double or single leg takedown with footwork. The better your opponent's takedown skills are, the harder this becomes.

The best defense against double and most single leg takedown attempts is the sprawl by the way.

As for staying loose, it takes years of practice to stay loose when you're in a bad position on the ground. Everyone tenses up initially. The only way to achieve the looseness you are speaking about is to train your butt off in some type of submission wrestling until you get good enough to stay relaxed when you're underneath someone and defending.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 4:51pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember when I used to think this way. You are wrong. Let me know when you enter your first MMA competition and I SEE all of these things work. Nope, winning using BJJ, MMA, Muay Thai and Karate is MMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 5:08pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You probably meant to post that at http://www.martialartsplanet.com/ it's an honest mistake, happens here all the time.

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 5:15pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are concerned about fighting an MMA guy, head to a gym and give it a shot. I'm pretty sure your illusions will be shattered. OTOH There are lots of reasons to practice Okinawan Karate for its own sake so you could just keep on doing what you're doing.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast