Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 9:59am

Style: Escrima n00b

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As one Bruce Lee nutrider's door closes, another one opens.

Perhaps I'll take a stroll into the practice halls of the Royal Ballet and tell them they should go to some classes and read a book as they might be surprised at themselves, and see what kind of a reception I get. I'll bet it wouldn't be anywhere near as restrained as the responses you got here.

Not that I'm saying the people here are ballet dancers.... I mean.... I didn't..... ohgodohgodpleasedon'thitmeOmegAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

*runs away*

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 10:02am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My problem with Bruce Lee's writing, is that all his stuff seems to be published posthumously. I've only read the Tao of JKD, but it's really badly structured and lacks any kind of direction or clear insight. It's just a bunch of notes hastily cobbled together into book form.

There's a lot of quotes that get attributed to Lee that are actually from other authors, or at least are paraphrasing other authors. I wonder how much of this is due to people going through his notes looking for material to publish, and not knowing which ideas were his, and which were just jotted down for reference.

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 12:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntedRasta View Post
    As for other books, I'd gladly hear your recommendations.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 1:04pm

Style: jailbait

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    Bruce Lee has never really impressed me as a martial artist, and I've never found any of his philosophizing particularly profound or useful (why not just go to the source and actually read the Tao? Or zen/stoic writings?)
    Sadly, I agree. Bruce Lee was great at what he did (capture the minds of movie fans), but was quite overhyped (OMG HE BEAT CHUCKNORRIS WALKER TEXAS RANGER).

Against today's amatuer boxers/mma fighters, he'd get whupped.

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 2:02pm

Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Against today's amatuer boxers/mma fighters, he'd get whupped.
    Yup. Now, if you fancy giving yourself a good laugh / Brain aneurysm - try explaining that to someone who doesn't do MA, but know's who Bruce is.
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    4/07/2013 1:39am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LMAO at people still thinking Systema is something other than a Russian BS Aikido.
    Tell me HuntedRasta (which I doubt you are a true rasta) What level do you have to be to pass the pyschic water test?
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2013 3:38am

Style: Satanist and BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I rate Ryabko/Vasiliev systema both as a training methodology and a fighting style. There are a couple of important things to remember tho. Systema does not represent ALL of the weird and wonderful spec ops training that went on in the cold war - (men who stare at goats, etc book not dodgy film). I think a large part of that kind of training is to convince the soldiers that they have superpowers so they don't put limits on themselves - you got to remember that to the administrations these guys are there to do the really dirty nasty dangerous stuff and in the end are pretty disposable. The one thing they did do was train hard and full contact, often with live blades and loaded weapons (as I understand it any spec ops selection/training program has an acceptable amount of injuries/deaths, i'm sure the Russian limit for that is higher than most). Also if you convince your enemies that you have super soldiers the fear that creates is a powerful tool too.
    Cut to VV Systema Canada circa 1996 - this is no longer about creating super hardened soldiers, desensitised to death and fear. So systema is now taught to the public very much from the other end of the spectrum, start slow and without pressure and work your way up at your own pace. If you can't do it slow then u probably wont be able to do it faster anyway right?
    2 big recommendations for all systema folk tho:
    1. Add in pressure testing and fear training from an early stage in your training, always stay safe and give people the option to participate, so you don't scare too many people off.
    2. Do cross train both MA and other activities (Rock climbing is a good one for fear - as your life very much rests in your own hands, the risks are real but can be managed to suit your level). When you feel ready, go to a boxing/MMA/MT club and do some sparring with people not exposed to Systema. You really need to make sure you can break peoples form/balance/intent when they are not being compliant (consciously or unconsciously). Doormen, Rugby players and (ex)military are great to train with as they are strong and used to contact and always remember to have at least 1 guy who is immune to pressure points.
    In the end, make sure you enjoy your training and get what you are looking for out of it. And definitely don't delude yourself that training alone will win out in a fight or pressure situation, that will come down to your will power and spirit to survive.

Posted On:
    4/07/2013 3:53am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscape View Post
    Systema does not represent ALL of the weird and wonderful spec ops training that went on in the cold war
    This sounds reasonable, but I guess the question for me is does it represent any of the effective spec-ops training that went on in the cold war?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2013 4:16am

Style: Satanist and BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    This sounds reasonable, but I guess the question for me is does it represent any of the effective spec-ops training that went on in the cold war?
    This guy seems to think so... I do believe there in an element of 'stage hypnotism' to the last part, but to be honest I would work pretty hard to keep that guy happy :)

ps - cant tell if the gun disarms are done with finger on trigger or not?

Posted On:
    4/07/2013 4:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscape View Post
    This guy seems to think so...
    Which guy? Use your words.

The history of systema is very spotty. First of all it was supposed to be Teutonic Knights, then that got called out, so they switched to the stripy t-shirts and claimed the cold-war stuff.
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast