Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 10:25am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    It's been posted before but warrants a repost. It pretty much illustrates why Systema sucks.
    Watching this at work, and therefore on mute, but... WHY NO CLINCH?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 10:43am

Style: Satanist and BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    Interesting. I think I remember Systema guys explaining the grin as a typical Systema... uhm... technique? Wait, they don't have those, as I have just learned... well, the Systema way to stay relaxed during a fight. Is there anything to that?
    I think there are 2 types of tension really -

Accumulated Tension: That you carry around with you all the time
    This is from extended periods of bad posture, repeated destructive/over-stressed movements or from injury/injury compensation.

Mental Tension: The brain controls all the muscles right, so in a high stress situation or just one where you are not thinking/moving naturally there is a tendency for that mental tension to translate into physical tension, which in turn will stop you moving in a free and unobstructed way.

All of the exercises and breathing in systema help to reduce both of the types of tension and increase awareness of how you can move and generate power with your whole body or by isolating different parts.

There is some confusion about this even inside systema, imo, it is a misconception to think you have to be 'floppy'. Rather that you should be calm, focused and move naturally, just as any good sports person will do when they are performing.
    Obviously the muscles need to tense and relax as required to move and strike etc but it is the excess and stored tension that we try to eliminate.
    When you come up against a very strong but tense opponent you will need to disrupt that tension in some way to be able to work with them (few ways to do that on my earlier post)
    If you find yourself using a lot of force to apply a move it will normally be down to some tension inside you that your opponent has picked up on and can then apply force back against.

As for the grin, if you watch Vladimir Vasiliev when he is working his face will usually be quite emotionless until he has got control of the situation, then if something is funny, will laugh and smile.
    The point on that one is that it is not a fixed expression, just one that is free from tension and is reacting to the situation as it develops.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 11:03am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscape View Post

This is from extended periods of bad posture, repeated destructive/over-stressed movements or from injury/injury compensation.

Mental Tension: The brain controls all the muscles right, so in a high stress situation or just one where you are not thinking/moving naturally there is a tendency for that mental tension to translate into physical tension, which in turn will stop you moving in a free and unobstructed way.

All of the exercises and breathing in systema help to reduce both of the types of tension and increase awareness of how you can move and generate power with your whole body or by isolating different parts.

There is some confusion about this even inside systema, imo, it is a misconception to think you have to be 'floppy'. Rather that you should be calm, focused and move naturally, just as any good sports person will do when they are performing.
    Obviously the muscles need to tense and relax as required to move and strike etc but it is the excess and stored tension that we try to eliminate.
    When you come up against a very strong but tense opponent you will need to disrupt that tension in some way to be able to work with them (few ways to do that on my earlier post)
    If you find yourself using a lot of force to apply a move it will normally be down to some tension inside you that your opponent has picked up on and can then apply force back against.

As for the grin, if you watch Vladimir Vasiliev when he is working his face will usually be quite emotionless until he has got control of the situation, then if something is funny, will laugh and smile.
    The point on that one is that it is not a fixed expression, just one that is free from tension and is reacting to the situation as it develops.
    A great way to reduce tension that occurs during fighting is to ACTUALLY FIGHT. Doing the thing (in a safe, controlled environment) that makes you nervous in a repeated fashion will eventually reduce and even eliminate those negative physiological responses. Why waste your time on breathing exercises when sparring will A) accomplish the same thing in a more realistic control environment and B) make you a better fighter?

Not just limited to MA, either; this is why driver's ed, the bunny slope, and hookers exist.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 11:18am

Style: HEMA (out of practice)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

. . . I just wanted to point out that the brain directs/coordinates the peripheral nervous system, which controls the muscles/organs/etc.

(Also, wouldn't a better way to reduce the development of tension while you are fighting to simply become comfortable with being in fights? Possibly by sparring at various contact levels?)

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry fella, all that really illustrates is why he sucks at Systema...
    You would not believe how many times this sentiment is expressed. I have a video I recorded on youtube of a TKD guy fighting a soo bahk do guy, and there's a ton of comments saying "that's not REAL soo bahk do!". And when I ask how long they've been studying SBD, its always like less than 1 year. What these people never respond with, though, is a GOOD video of their art vs another one.

Well that's a bit harsh actually, I'm guessing he has not done a lot of sparring before in systema or another style
    Have you?
    The stupid fixed grin tells me he has a lot of tension in his face and neck and that usually comes from a kinda mental block where he is not clear in his mind about the outcome he is aiming for. This shows in the lack of intent in his moves and the flailing strikes with no real weight to them. It's like he is thinking "what should a systema guy sparring look like" rather than just commiting to the win and trying to make sure no one gets serioulsy hurt.
    When I did systema, I remember guys smiling during smiling specifically to change the mental mindset and to throw off the opponent. And to be honest, it was kinda weird sparring with a person with a smile and their arms relaxed to the sides- there's none of the normal cues of fighting or aggression, so you kinda feel like you're fighting someone who's not fighting you- until they start hitting you.

So I'm not convinced that his goofy grinning is any trademark of bad systema. I think he's probably good at systema drills etc even, but that doesn't really mean he can fight MMA.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 11:40am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Found a video of him demonstrating knife work:

Good lord, its like he's trying to intercept attacks with the goofiest kicks imaginable. Sometimes systema looks just like the fighting style of a drunken Adam West Batman.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 11:48am

Style: HEMA (out of practice)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Found a video of him demonstrating knife work. . .
    . . .Good lord, its like he's trying to intercept attacks with the goofiest kicks imaginable.
    Is it just me, or with a lot of that did it look like he was actually pushing the blade closer to himself in some of those defenses? Like, "I will just push the blade of this knife that is being thrust at me across my abdomen because I do not want it to stab the air I was planning to breathe" kind of stuff?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 11:59am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Did you pay any attention to my point, or is winning the thread more important?
    I'd have written two huge posts saying they were techniques, but not really if I was trying to win.

That makes you the thread winner.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 12:10pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    Is it just me, or with a lot of that did it look like he was actually pushing the blade closer to himself in some of those defenses? Like, "I will just push the blade of this knife that is being thrust at me across my abdomen because I do not want it to stab the air I was planning to breathe" kind of stuff?
    Intercept the blade with the femoral artery.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 12:36pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh.

Watermelon.
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101617181920 21222324 ... LastLast