Page 1 of 30 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 12:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Systema / Jeet Kune Do

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Systema lovers in here!

Everyone is very concerned with this "compliant" attitude they think they are seeing. What it really is:

1) Some people really are just being compliant because they are scared or impressed.
    2) Most people are practicing their sensitivity and evasion.
    3) Most of the moves which send people flying would otherwise have caused a break. In other systems this is prevented by never actually doing the move, just explaining or making a gesture in the air. In systema you learn to go with the movement to avoid destruction.

I think it is interesting that, with other styles, no one is suprised to see a teacher show all sorts of moves and would-be scenarios where the students completely let themselves be "demonstrated" on, and finally we have a style where there is NO pre-formatting and all the demonstrations are done with creative license from the attacker and defender, and NOW people get in an uproar about it.

Please, go to some classes with various instructors and read some Bruce Lee.
    You will be very surprised at yourself.

Also, understand you WILL feel strange. You are constantly put in direct confrontation with your fears and weaknesses (and taught to deal with them, mainly by moving & breathing), and if you cheat you are only ever cheating yourself. This goes for many martial arts.

I especially recommend martial artists study several styles, if you are already a practitioner of something else it can still benefit you to study Systema.

Oh and READ BOOKS.

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 12:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Systema / Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds like the school you trained at was not great, can you tell me which it was?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 1:00pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a thread from 2007 dude, and it was started by kungfoolss, who's a hater of all styles.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 1:18pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58265

Why did you bump a thread to write your own rant.

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 1:45pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntedRasta View Post
    Everyone is very concerned with this "compliant" attitude they think they are seeing. What it really is:

1) Some people really are just being compliant because they are scared or just plain stupid.
    2) Most people are practicing their sensitivity and evasion, since with Systema they really can't fight back.
    3) Most of the moves which send people flying would otherwise have caused a break in laughter for how silly they are. In other systems this is prevented by never actually doing the move, just explaining or making a gesture in the air. In systema you learn to go with the movement to avoid breaking down in fits of laughter.

I think it is interesting that, with other styles, no one is suprised to see a teacher show all sorts of moves and would-be scenarios where the students completely let themselves be "demonstrated" on, and finally we have a style where there is NO pre-formatting and no fighting skill and all the demonstrations are done with creative license from the attacker and defender, because actually fighting is out of the question and NOW people get in an uproar about it.

You will be very surprised at yourself, I wish I could ask most Systema people to read, but they have so much trouble with that concept.

Also, understand you WILL feel strange, when you look at the Moons of Jupiture. You are constantly put in direct confrontation with your fears and weaknesses, what have you got when you can't fight back, (and taught to deal with them, mainly by moving & breathing), and if you cheat you are only ever cheating yourself. This goes for many martial arts.

I especially recommend martial artists study several styles, if you are already a practitioner of something else it can still benefit you to study Systema, so you can learn just how much better those other styles really are.

Oh and READ BOOKS to Systema people they need the help!
    Fixed that for ya.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 1:47pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58265

Why did you bump a thread to write your own rant.
    Because he's a fucking dumbass
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 1:52pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!

1) Some people really are just being compliant because they are scared or impressed.
    3) Most of the moves which send people flying would otherwise have caused a break. In other systems this is prevented by never actually doing the move, just explaining or making a gesture in the air. In systema you learn to go with the movement to avoid destruction.

I think it is interesting that, with other styles, no one is suprised to see a teacher show all sorts of moves and would-be scenarios where the students completely let themselves be "demonstrated" on, and finally we have a style where there is NO pre-formatting and all the demonstrations are done with creative license from the attacker and defender, and NOW people get in an uproar about it.

Also, understand you WILL feel strange. You are constantly put in direct confrontation with your fears and weaknesses (and taught to deal with them, mainly by moving & breathing), and if you cheat you are only ever cheating yourself. This goes for many martial arts.

I especially recommend martial artists study several styles, if you are already a practitioner of something else it can still benefit you to study Systema.

Oh and READ BOOKS.
    I have, on all accounts. Now what say you?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 2:17pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or because they're in a style where a teacher insists that direct resistance is unnecessary tension.

Okay.
    I don't think theoretical in-the-air joint breaks are as common as you may think. Controlling joint locks into takedowns is pretty common.

Well, there's lots of systema demos where the "attacker" falls into a heap after a hand wave or light rub.

I've done training in systema and have read BL's book.

To me, a lot of systema felt like recess for adults; that's what I liked about it.

Oh and READ BOOKS.
    I recommend that one not start systema until after studying a more conventional art. Hell, that might be good advice about MA books too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 3:03pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) One should never be scared during a demonstration. If you mistrust your training partners to that level then you need different partners. If your scared of the move or the fall then your partners should understand that and do it in a manner that lets them practice but keeps you in your comfort zone.

2) I practice my sensitivity and evasion as well, its called randori. Sparring is the biggest builder of body awareness, both of what your body can do in a given position and in training a sort of sixth sense to how your partner is moving.

3) This type of training is just wrong, tori gets a false sense of what the move does and uke is taught an overly flashy defense.

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 6:19pm

Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone is very concerned with this "compliant" attitude they think they are seeing. /Snip/
    Oh and READ BOOKS.
    I would also like to add, you just got Trolled by someone who left the site, around 4 years ago...

How's that workin out for ya...?
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!
Page 1 of 30 1 234511 ... LastLast