222217 Bullies, 4090 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 110
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Tranquil Suit is online now
    Tranquil Suit's Avatar

    On hiatus

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,468

    Posted On:
    4/04/2013 7:34pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Five lucky bitcoin-holders are issued golden tickets to meet Ron Paul in his magic chocolate factory.
    Okay, and now the serious answer.



    By the way, do you realize how little 21 million is? I mean we got 8 millijard people.

    If you are in possesion of even 1 bitcoin, that'd put you in the new 1%

    (tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40
  2. Phrost is offline
    Phrost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 1998
    Location
    Cow Town
    Posts
    19,120

    Posted On:
    4/04/2013 7:47pm

    Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Okay, and now the serious answer.



    By the way, do you realize how little 21 million is? I mean we got 8 millijard people.

    If you are in possesion of even 1 bitcoin, that'd put you in the new 1%
    Guess that's good that I have 0.00104281 BTC.
  3. Tranquil Suit is online now
    Tranquil Suit's Avatar

    On hiatus

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,468

    Posted On:
    4/04/2013 7:56pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    D'oh. So it's not an integer value.

    (tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40
  4. KiwiPhil889 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    379

    Posted On:
    4/04/2013 8:25pm


     Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I'm old,maybe I've been punched in the head too many times but the whole bitcoin thing doesn't really make sense to me.

    Bitcoins are "gathered" by me doing nothing other than leaving my computer on and letting it run some free software??

    ..and all that software does,in conjunction with other computers running the same kind of software, is solve an equation??

    ...and when that equation is solved we get given some bitcoins (or portions of bitcoins) which we can then exchange for real world stuff??

    ...all while i was eating a cheese sammich and playin X box??
  5. sazahko is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    59

    Posted On:
    4/04/2013 8:46pm


     Style: Headbutts

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiPhil889 View Post
    Maybe I'm old,maybe I've been punched in the head too many times but the whole bitcoin thing doesn't really make sense to me.

    Bitcoins are "gathered" by me doing nothing other than leaving my computer on and letting it run some free software??

    ..and all that software does,in conjunction with other computers running the same kind of software, is solve an equation??

    ...and when that equation is solved we get given some bitcoins (or portions of bitcoins) which we can then exchange for real world stuff??

    ...all while i was eating a cheese sammich and playin X box??
    As far as I'm aware, that's just how the currency is generated. The real beauty of this is that it allows for low-cost transfer and storage of funds between different currencies, etc., and it's money that can't be screwed with by anyone who's not you or the guys running the program. So no banks, no oversight, just you, your money, and your subsequently ever-growing supply of black market Twinkies. ...Or whatever the hell people spend their free money on currently.

    -Sazzy
  6. Phrost is offline
    Phrost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 1998
    Location
    Cow Town
    Posts
    19,120

    Posted On:
    4/04/2013 9:05pm

    Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
  7. Cuddles is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cuddleton
    Posts
    355

    Posted On:
    4/04/2013 10:09pm


     Style: HS Cuddling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sounds really stupid, and is not something I'd trust.

    If it's an unknown "Satoshi", he could easily choose to change the market as he pleases by rewriting part of the program (or using a developers console) to make himself infinitely rich. Of course in practicality, he'd probably give a few thousand here, take a few hundred there...

    And once no one cares for bitcoins, they're worthless. Now I'd understand if this was government sponsored (heck, even private would work) with some form of security, but as it stands, you can lose all your bitcoins on a server/cloud crash or hack. Or an abusive admin.
  8. sazahko is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    59

    Posted On:
    4/04/2013 10:18pm


     Style: Headbutts

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    This sounds really stupid, and is not something I'd trust.

    If it's an unknown "Satoshi", he could easily choose to change the market as he pleases by rewriting part of the program (or using a developers console) to make himself infinitely rich. Of course in practicality, he'd probably give a few thousand here, take a few hundred there...

    And once no one cares for bitcoins, they're worthless. Now I'd understand if this was government sponsored (heck, even private would work) with some form of security, but as it stands, you can lose all your bitcoins on a server/cloud crash or hack. Or an abusive admin.
    The Bitcoin website actually has quite a bit to say about securing your funds and about the caveats and dangers involved - have you read through it at all?

    -Sazzy
  9. Magpie McGee is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    161

    Posted On:
    4/04/2013 11:46pm


     Style: Thai Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried fucking around with this "deepweb" faggotry, where the bitcoins seem to be most prominent, for a while. I saw ads for drugs, hacking services, prostitution, and motherfucking assassinations. Now, I'm all for this libertarians wet dream of a currency, but could the fact that it's facilitating this kind of **** give the FBI or some such organization the right to take down the whole system?
  10. Rivington is offline
    Rivington's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    4,733

    Posted On:
    4/05/2013 12:00am

    supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The limit on the number of bitcoins is an ideological sop toward "sound money" libertarians, though of course any virtual currency isn't going to be pegged to some material item, like gold. One could potentially argue that bitcoins are tied to processing poweróthus the "mining" metaphoróbut processing power doubles every eighteen months, so unless bitcoins become harder to mine, it's a non-starter as a "sound money."

    The limit on bitcoins isn't necessarily a big deal since bitcoins can't be generalized. The chances of you buying an orange with it at the corner store are very slimóit's just high-tech nerd to high-tech nerd transfers. Really, the only thing that the bitcoin limit means is that when all the bitcoins have been mined, either Satoshi or someone else will found another virtual currency, perhaps ByteBucks, and offer to sell people ByteBucks for the low cost of ten bitcoins, and perhaps by then there will be ByteBuck-generation apps that can be more easily generalized among people who own smartphones or tablets.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.