Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/04/2013 8:00am

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I Wasted a good training session

This is not in the other thread because it is not really constructive, I just needed to vent a bit.

Yesterday I started rolling with my mind set to working sweeps and more sweeps.
    It all started out nicely, I got paired with a random white belt and I swept, mount, sub. For 5 minutes straight. Must have sucked for the guy but I was set on just doing that.
    I worked scissor, sit up, an the one that andre galvao does (one hand on the knee, grabbing the pants, one on the sleeve controlling the opposite arm. Kick your heel towards his shoulder)
    Second roll I get paired with a nice competitive blue. We kick it of and I bait him into a single, I spin to his back, seat belt, no hooks, he gets his hips high, shoulders low, shakes, defends well. We get back to our knees and I am thinking "today will be nice, I am working my sweeps and top game"... until he starts that stiff arm against my for head stuff, just pushing me of in my face. I think in the back of my head "there is a sweep/take down from the knees there some where" and I try to work grips... hand in my face, stiff arm.
    It goes down hill from here. My competition ego kicks in, I genki sudo triangle, WTF?! I want to work sweeps. I try to recover and sweep into mount with the triangle still slapped on him. He gets his legs under my arms and tries to get out of the back, again competition ego kicks back in... roll to my back and finish. All the rolls after that I can't fix my approach. I only see armbars. I waste the next 4 rolls with arm bars... I just can't focus.

Spoiler:
    My instincts is all:

Is there any way you reset your mind when you fall back to your old scheme? My old coach would yell at me when he sees me climbing my guard because he knows what I am doing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2013 1:04pm

Style: HS Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps not so much in grappling, as I have much less experience in that, but when I was sparring, I'd take a knee or even a water break to clear my head. If that doesn't work, I'd ask to fight against my sensei or a black belt and get beat so badly that my ego lowers. Then I resume with my partner and work on whatever I was working on.
    I'd assume it'd work for grappling too.

(This happened especially when I fought against other MALE teenagers; we went from light sparring to full contact in the exchange of 3 punches. *Jab..* **** you. *Straight..* Fag. *HAYMAKERZ!!!!*)

Posted On:
    4/04/2013 1:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As related in the other thread, training with people who are better can help (when they let me play the game I am trying to work on - if I get pushed I will fall back to what I don't want to do but know best).
    On a flip side, I love getting subs and boy I smiled the entire time I rolled... it is something about grappling that I love, that feeling when you get pushed and you turn in a submission as an answer. Haven't felt as good as yesterday after training in a long while.

I should learn to re focus during breaks... most of my grappling issues are in my mindset and I have no real clue how to address that. Right now my rational brain is at work and I see my errs but during roll I don't think at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2013 3:57pm

Style: Escrima n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's a knee break?

Posted On:
    4/04/2013 4:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ? Sorry, come again?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2013 4:03pm

Style: HS Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje View Post
    What's a knee break?
    Taking a knee means to kneel down.

Posted On:
    4/04/2013 4:08pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ohh ... I was like, **** I am not going to break my knee...
    That actually sounds like a good advice, I will work on my square breathing during breaks, that helped me before/during competitions, should work during class. Good one, thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2013 4:14pm

Style: Escrima n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, I also thought it meant that! Nice bit of advice, will try use it myself too. Thanks Cuddles