Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 5:25pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Renzo Gracie Fuindamental program

Hello, they are opening a new Renzo Gracie school in my area in the next 6 months.

I understand they have 2 programs. One called "fundamental program" and the other one that caters more to intermedi/advanced grapplers who actually compete. And finally a third program that is no GI but I think this is for blue-brown belt guys.

Has anybody tried the Fundamental Program. I am honestly looking for a solid, basic self defense approach to Ground fighting. Something that focuses on the just the basic positions and the core moves. Something not too complex and hard on the body.

Maybe this is it. I am 37 yrs old and really do not need any major injuries at this point in my life.

Anybody in this program.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 6:31pm

Style: HS Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now I'll give you the benefit of doubt and think you're just unaware, but questions like these don't belong in the ADVANCED sections of the forums.

Here is you "Advanced Striking" question if you don't know what I mean by "these".
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=120312

Here's the sticky on how to post here:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76402

Now there's not much to this question. If there's an advanced program and you're not advanced, don't take it. If there's a no gi program but you don't meet the req for it, don't take it. That leaves the Fundamental program.

This boils down to the real question:
    Do you want to grapple?

BJJ will give you a good ground game. Whether or not your ground game is complex is up to you. You can technically use only the armbar and rear naked choke hold as your only submissions if you hate leaving your comfort zone. However, that'll leave your game very close-minded and not very versatile.

If you're only 37, I don't see what you're worried about. I've been thrown, beat, and stomped on by many people who started training over 40, be it male or female.

And grappling is much safer than stand-up as you can tap anytime you want.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 7:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok I will now posts these in the proper room the Basic technique room.

Now I know!!!!

Looks like I goofed up twice today. Now I know. Thanks again.

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 6:56am

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have trained at Renzos in NYC for a couple of months, and I can tell you that it is worth going.
    The difference between the "beginners" or what ever they called it and the "advanced" is that beginners don't do No-Gi and that the classes are focused on the fundamentals, with a lot of position sparring, drills and conditioning. Worth both ways!

Do you have any clue about who the coach will be? I had classes with all of the instructors on the Renzo NYC page (except John Danaher - he does mostly privates and some advanced competition preparation and I managed to miss his classes while training there) and they all know their stuff... Some fit my needs better than other but they are all top notch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 6:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Frang.

I will find out the instructor and let you know.

Just a few more questions about the Fundamental class if you can assist.

1) Does the class do any takedowns at all and if so what kinds.
    2) Did you guys do any arm triangle chokes in that class. OR is that advanced

Finally, I am worried about injuries due to past sports. Is the fundament. class pretty safe for injuries. My job requires my joints to be in good shape is why I ask. Also I have heard horror stories about injuries in BJJ.

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 8:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To answer your Questions...
    1) Takedowns - Are done in both classes. Depending on the teacher you will do more wrestling or more Judo stuff, but the basics of both are covered.
    2) I honestly couldn't tell you, I trained there quite some time back, so I can't remember if they did them in the beginners class, in the advanced I recall training them.
    3) Let me put it like this, freak stuff can happen BUT if you and your training partners are training with egos in check and tap when it is warranted you should be on the save side. I have trained a lot and though I have injured myself here and there it was mainly due to not being with my head in the right place or because of peoples ego (mine or others) not being in check...
    That being said, BJJ is a save sport and you can stop the action pretty much at any time you want by a physical or verbal tap. Coaches have called out people for doing freak stuff that could have gottem them or others into bad territory, so I think you will be fine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 6:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok thanks. I took a good leg kick in MT sparing last Sat. Still feel a giant charlie horse.

I tried BJJ about 15 yrs ago. I hated it because they just tossed the newbees into the fire with the blue belt and higher and I got crushed and quit after 2 months. Seems that BJJ has evolved greatly and now they break up White belt from Colored belts. That way you can learn more easy and not get crushed lol. Do not want to train with a bunch of colored belts who have years on me through.

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 7:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, when I trained at Renzos there were only a hand full of blue belts showing up for the "beginners" class.
    From my personal experience, while it sucks to be crushed as a white belt it builds character and you will learn a different style of rolling. I have been told that I have a very loose style and that this is actually help full.
    When you train with white belts only they tend to go super hard and everybody tenses up and nobody gets anywhere (from my point of view).
    But if that is what you are looking for I think you will be happy.
    Good luck

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 2:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgold44 View Post
    I tried BJJ about 15 yrs ago. I hated it because they just tossed the newbees into the fire with the blue belt and higher and I got crushed and quit after 2 months. Seems that BJJ has evolved greatly and now they break up White belt from Colored belts. That way you can learn more easy and not get crushed lol. Do not want to train with a bunch of colored belts who have years on me through.
    That may actually be a strategy to keep newbspazzes from injuring one another.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.