223980 Bullies, 4343 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 10:44pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If South Africa can set up the Truth and Reconciliation Commission in order to come to term with what happened under apartheid then there's no excuse for Japan not to do the same with its action during WW2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    4/07/2013 12:13am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Germany only reunified in 1990, and from the end of WWII to then the country was split in two opposing states (with foreign puppetmasters) right up to when the Wall came down.

The Germany as we know it today is still a "new" (barely 23 year old) unified republic, along with having a particularly terrible history of megalomaniacs running the country. It's a testament to its "mighty northern spirit" (to quote Tolkien), that the country even survived the 20th century in one piece.
    I've lived here most my life and was here when the unification happened. I still got a piece of the wall somewhere.
    In that 23 years other industries have grown greatly the military hasn't. (And the phone company, Telekom still sucks!)
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    4/07/2013 12:24am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    Gentlemen, could it not be said, perhaps, that the imperial flag means the same thing to Japanese nationalists as the confederate flag does for southern "states rights" people?

The Confederacy was a rebel nation that kept millions of black folks as slaves. Yet when somebody flies the confederate flag, they're not advocating a return to slavery but states rights and southern pride.

Is it not possible that the Japanese simply consider the flag to be a patriotic symbol without any ill will towards the Chinese or Koreans and that we're kind of reading too much into it here? Chonan probably misspoke due to his own rampant nationalism.
    As I pointed out on the other thread about the flag it is used everywhere. It is used as is or incorporated into the logo of various companies and products.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2013 5:16am

Style: Escrima n00b

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I can draw a parallel here.

When the Apartheid regime in South Africa fell the flag was changed from

Name:  za-1928.gif
Views: 239
Size:  1.3 KB

^ this one, which represented the "bad old days" and the government that presided over the Apartheid regime to

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wikipedia_flag_south_africa_large.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	14680

^ this one, which is supposed to be a symbol of a new hope and the "rainbow nation".

Now the old flag is also an significant symbol for Afrikaans nationalists, as it is an important part of their heritage - such as being the flag under which they fought the Boer Wars, among others.

During the second Boer War the Afrikaaners (mainly the wives and children of soldiers) were rounded up and put into concentration camps, where many of them died. So many Afrikaaners still have the old flag, and it's used at movements like the Voortrekkers, which is kind of like an Afrikaans boy scout/girl guide movement to celebrate Afrikaans heritage.

Sadly, much like Mr Chonan, there are a goodly number who give themselves whiplash from the speed with which they turn the other way when confronted with the ugly truth of their past. 99% of these people, you will probably find, are racist, intentionally ignorant, supremacist fucktards.

For the vast majority though, the old South African flag is a symbol of segregation and violent oppression. Most South Africans, regardless of colour, hate that flag and it is considered extremely poor taste to show it in public or outside of specific groups or situations.

Of course this is not the same as Japan's conquest against its neighbours, and the time scales are completely different. It does still point to the conclusion though - Hayabusa had very poor taste (for which they've apologised), and Ryo Chonan is an entitled, supremacist twat.

Mr Chonan, go eat a bag of dicks. Any colour will do.

Posted On:
    4/07/2013 6:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post
    The idea of a Southern "nationalist" makes zero sense. Try reading up on what nationalism is for a start. It's a particularly silly thing to say when you have already banged the "states' rights" drum. The political entity to which secessionists were supposedly loyal was their state, not some "Southern nation."
    You are correct, of course. But southern nationalists still exist and disagree with you, still considering the confederacy to be a seperate union of states that was most unjustly invaded by evil northern federalist tyrants.

The point stands.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2013 7:39am

Style: Judo/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sitting here in my hotel in England............Looking at the "Rushton Triangular Lodge" pamphlet.

Apparently, some Catholics did get burnt, just for being Catholic. Sir Thomas Tresham was burned in a bonfire, and apparently, they still hold bonfires and throw in a dummy Mr. Tresham in celebration. Although, It could be because after paying the 90% tax he refused later. Maybe the English just burned people that evaded tax.

I probably should've posted this after I got back to the states. But, if I'm sitting in a pub and some guy starts cusing me out with the most profane and poetic stream of insults followed by a black eye, I'll know who it is.

:)

Posted On:
    4/07/2013 10:53am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are correct, of course. But southern nationalists still exist and disagree with you, still considering the confederacy to be a seperate union of states that was most unjustly invaded by evil northern federalist tyrants.

The point stands.
    Should we call it White Southern Nationalism? Seems less a region clamoring for a diverse South, free of Northern influence, so much as white people who are angry over immigration, integration, voting rights, gay rights, miscegenation, separation of church and state, gun control, and other things.

Perhaps it was coincidence that during my time in Al, most all of the people who flew the Confederate Navy Jack (now flown as the rebel flag) just happened to also not like black people/non-white-immigrants very much.

Seeing the herds of bitter would-be-rebels, at these rallies, I just hear the imaginary song "when white people ruled our world". Seeing all the angry mullets mourning the passing of the slave plantation system reminds me there's a whole lot of ignorance in this world, and more than a couple of bad haircuts.
    Last edited by bobyclumsyninja; 4/07/2013 10:54am at . Reason: Qualifying. Ex's to rulez n' sheet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2013 1:19pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorekara View Post
    I'm sitting here in my hotel in England............Looking at the "Rushton Triangular Lodge" pamphlet.

Apparently, some Catholics did get burnt, just for being Catholic. Sir Thomas Tresham was burned in a bonfire, and apparently, they still hold bonfires and throw in a dummy Mr. Tresham in celebration. Although, It could be because after paying the 90% tax he refused later. Maybe the English just burned people that evaded tax.

I probably should've posted this after I got back to the states. But, if I'm sitting in a pub and some guy starts cusing me out with the most profane and poetic stream of insults followed by a black eye, I'll know who it is.
    I made a mistake he wasn't burned for being a Catholic, just fined and imprisoned. Someone who hid out in the triangular lodge was burned for trying to burn down parliment. A million apologies!

:)

Posted On:
    4/07/2013 8:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorekara View Post
    I made a mistake he wasn't burned for being a Catholic, just fined and imprisoned. Someone who hid out in the triangular lodge was burned for trying to burn down parliment. A million apologies!
    Guy Fawkes
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2013 6:27am

Hell yeah! Hell no!

The point stands.
    I think at this juncture, the "point" that "stands" is that there are some phenomenally ignorant and confused assholes who think of themselves in a confused way as "Southern nationalists" but are tired of people correctly pointing out and don't want to admit the historical fact that the central purpose for the brief, unhappy existence of the so-called "nation" was the preservation, expansion, and extension of slavery.

And that you, for some fucktarded reason, think that viewing Chonan's assholery as analogous to their assholery makes what he said better.

So, yeah, there are assholes like that. But, no, that has no relevance to Chonan, and no, it doesn't make him less of an asshole.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast