4/06/2013 1:46am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    So tell me why you think I am 'butthurt' then

Dumbass
    Did I say you were butthurt, dumbfuck?

Use the quote function to show where I said you personally were butthurt, dumbfuck.

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 3:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gentlemen, could it not be said, perhaps, that the imperial flag means the same thing to Japanese nationalists as the confederate flag does for southern "states rights" people?

The Confederacy was a rebel nation that kept millions of black folks as slaves. Yet when somebody flies the confederate flag, they're not advocating a return to slavery but states rights and southern pride.

Is it not possible that the Japanese simply consider the flag to be a patriotic symbol without any ill will towards the Chinese or Koreans and that we're kind of reading too much into it here? Chonan probably misspoke due to his own rampant nationalism.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 3:39am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    Gentlemen, could it not be said, perhaps, that the imperial flag means the same thing to Japanese nationalists as the confederate flag does for southern "states rights" people?

The Confederacy was a rebel nation that kept millions of black folks as slaves. Yet when somebody flies the confederate flag, they're not advocating a return to slavery but states rights and southern pride.

Is it not possible that the Japanese simply consider the flag to be a patriotic symbol without any ill will towards the Chinese or Koreans and that we're kind of reading too much into it here? Chonan probably misspoke due to his own rampant nationalism.
    This parallel has been offered in previous discussions of the symbol, but the flag isn't the main issue here. Besides that, there are the facts that some of those who display the Confederate flag in the US do use it to show that they favor white supremacy, endorse racial bigotry, etc., and that those who choose to display it for other reasons show themselves to be at best essentially indifferent to (or at best culpably ignorant of) the fact that it represents a failed attempt to form a nation whose central founding purpose was the preservation and extension of slavery.

What is it supposed to mean to say that Chonan "misspoke" when he stated that he doesn't care about the women who were forced into sex-slavery by the Japanese Army and that it was beneficial for the Koreans when they were the victims of Japanese imperial force? What did he mean to say that was fine when he slipped and said those things?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 6:04am

Style: Liu Seong Kuntao Silat

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chonan looks a little derpy. Not surprised.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 6:05am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    My misunderstanding

Appologies
    Dickhead.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 6:32am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    It's not our place to tell them that.
    while it's not my place to tell people how to feel, or how to react (and i have repeatedly supported their right to be offended about whatever they please) there's nothing wrong with pointing out that it's an unproductive path, or to give an example of something i am actually doing that is having a positive effect on the situation.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 10:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post
    What is it supposed to mean to say that Chonan "misspoke" when he stated that he doesn't care about the women who were forced into sex-slavery by the Japanese Army and that it was beneficial for the Koreans when they were the victims of Japanese imperial force? What did he mean to say that was fine when he slipped and said those things?
    Probably that this sort of thing is not "fine" in itself but that he's tired of hearing about it as a Japanese nationalist. To him, the Japanese flag stands for honour, pride and martial spirit, and when you've attributed this kind of meaning to your national symbol you're likely to take offense when somebody (rightfully) keeps bringing up atrocities carried out in its name as if it's ALL it stands for.

Compare with the reaction you get when bringing up slavery to a die-hard southern nationalist. It is similar.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 4:23pm

Style: Japanese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I may interject something other than insults and blame the white man tangents I happened to come across on HuluPlus a Japanese language movie version of The 47 Ronin released in late 1941 – I am trying to remember what else was happening (historically) during late 1941… Anyway right there during the opening credits was this gem – I just had to copy it (after I stopped laughing)

Sort of an Imperial Japanese Government version of “Support Our Troops”, eh – for they were really only fighting for the greater good to establish that Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere and not for the oppression of their neighbors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A Greater Asia.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	14678  

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're always going to have people who deny their peoples crimes no matter what. With in 1 minute I found a BBC documentary about a former Japanese soldier. Returning to China detailing atrocities along the way. People like Ryo don't want to know the truth because with very little effort he can find it. Wonder what the Japanese excuse is for elderly Japanese men saying the same thing the world has been saying for almost seventy years now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 9:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    Probably that this sort of thing is not "fine" in itself but that he's tired of hearing about it as a Japanese nationalist. To him, the Japanese flag stands for honour, pride and martial spirit, and when you've attributed this kind of meaning to your national symbol you're likely to take offense when somebody (rightfully) keeps bringing up atrocities carried out in its name as if it's ALL it stands for.

Compare with the reaction you get when bringing up slavery to a die-hard southern nationalist. It is similar.
    The idea of a Southern "nationalist" makes zero sense. Try reading up on what nationalism is for a start. It's a particularly silly thing to say when you have already banged the "states' rights" drum. The political entity to which secessionists were supposedly loyal was their state, not some "Southern nation."

Getting back on topic, I don't see why you think that the obvious point that Chonan is a zealous nationalist makes his dismissing atrocities and suggesting that victims of his nation's aggression benefited from it any better. Yes, of course no one but a chauvinist (in its original sense) asshole would say what he said, just like no one but an ignoramus or a blind ideologue would defend how Europeans and then the US government treated American Indians or Pol Pot's Killing Fields, etc., etc.

But hyper-nationalistic assholes who are indifferent to the atrocities their nation has committed aren't any less assholish for being hyper-nationalistic.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast