Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Judo, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ Training Partners: Long Island

Looking for some training partners to roll with. I've got 100sqft of mat space in my basement that I'd like to put to good use.

I'm a white belt over at Gracie Barra Long Island and have been training for about 3 months. A few of the guys from my gym have come out to roll but most of them live in Queens/western Nassau so it's a bit of a hike to make it out to where I am (far east Nassau County and on the south shore).

I'd like to find some local guys that are open to getting up early Sunday mornings for a few hours of training.

I've got the mat space... a mounted pull up bar... 80lb heavy bag... free weights.... and a smart TV hooked up to YouTube for training vids.... just need some more warm bodies!

Ceiling is a bit low, so no hip throws etc, but wrestling-type take downs are ok.

PM me if interested!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gym.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	14652  

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 11:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, I'm in Massapequa

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 11:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And the fridge in the picture is ALWAYS stocked w/ adult beverages

Posted On:
    7/02/2014 8:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kali-Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im also in long island and looking for a rolling partner.
    Would like to hear your feedback about different bjj
    Clubs in the area.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2014 10:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nasigoreng View Post
    Im also in long island and looking for a rolling partner.
    Would like to hear your feedback about different bjj
    Clubs in the area.
    Hey man, just saw this. Sorry for the delayed response.

If you're local to Garden City, then I'd check out Gracie Barra Long Island over in New Hyde Park. Joe Scarola, a Renzo/Serra Black Belt, runs the place. Great atmosphere and instruction. My wife trains there and loves it.

If you feel like making the trip further out east, I'm training at Team Combat Judo/BJJ over in Massapequa. We've got a great open mat on Sunday mornings at 10AM. Judo/wrestling/bjj/jjj/kali/Kajukembo... a real mixed bag.

Posted On:
    7/21/2014 12:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the suggestions. Have you heard anything about ufc gym?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2014 9:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard good things about UFC gym. Their program is run by Alexandre Soca, so it's associated with a very legit BB.

I have friends that train there and they all speak highly off it. Some of them have trained elsewhere previously, not just a bunch of white belts that wouldn't know the difference b/w good and bad BJJ.

Posted On:
    9/02/2014 9:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goshinbudoJJ View Post
    I've heard good things about UFC gym. Their program is run by Alexandre Soca, so it's associated with a very legit BB.

I have friends that train there and they all speak highly off it. Some of them have trained elsewhere previously, not just a bunch of white belts that wouldn't know the difference b/w good and bad BJJ.
    I am frustrated with the class. I dont feel like I can grow bc i (a no stripe white belt) tend to end up rolling with blue belts and purple belts who just shrug off any technique I try to work. There are very few people at my (mediocre) skil level to roll with and im tired of going home feeling like i'm just no damn good and im wasting my time. I dont think im the only one who feels this way bc it seems like 90% of new bjj students stop attending after 1 or two months.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    9/04/2014 6:42am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am frustrated with the class. I dont feel like I can grow bc i (a no stripe white belt) tend to end up rolling with blue belts and purple belts who just shrug off any technique I try to work. There are very few people at my (mediocre) skil level to roll with and im tired of going home feeling like i'm just no damn good and im wasting my time. I dont think im the only one who feels this way bc it seems like 90% of new bjj students stop attending after 1 or two months.

So you want to spar with someone that can't defend as well so your poor technique works instead of troubleshooting with your instructors why your technique isn't working on people with good defense?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/04/2014 8:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is normal, be thankful that you have the opportunity to work with more advanced students. You won't learn jack **** by beating up on the white belts. If you're tired of getting smashed, organize some drilling sessions with other white belts and work on your techniques with them. I believe UFC gym has a ton of open mat time.... make use of it if you want to progress in the art.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast