Style
    Muay Thai/Western Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A simple crappling query

So this year for my New Year resolution I set a goal for myself to have at least one amateur MMA fight before I'm thirty. I thought that would be a good one to cover all the standard exercise/diet resolutions we all usually make.
    I hold no hope to turn pro, I just feel I owe to myself to seriously compete at least once and see how I feel about the whole thing after that.
    Anyway, I recently discovered that the USA judo coach from the 2008 Olympics has his main training center about half an hour from my house.
    On the surface this seems just plain awesome, however membership there is pretty expensive. There is also a very well respected BJJ school about the same distance from me, and their fees are not only a little easier to handle, but they offer specialized MMA classes. I understand that MMA classes can mean drastically different things at different schools.
    So basically, I would really appreciate some advice...

1. Assuming I start training pure judo and get okay at it, do you guys think that would be a strong enough ground game for MMA considering I have no real BJJ experience?
    2. Do you think it would be okay to train striking and grappling totally separately, or do you think the combination of the disciplines within the MMA training at the BJJ school would be more helpful despite the (on paper) greater competition pedigree of the judo school?
    I really appreciate any advice you guys could give and sorry in advance for the silliness of these questions.
    *EDIT* I forgot to mention that judo in general makes my pants tight. I just don't know much about the actual groundwork parts.
    Last edited by Dillson; 4/14/2013 5:43pm at .

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my judo students always wanted to train and fight MMA. He was OK at Judo, recently promoted to ikkyu (one rank below black belt). He studied BJJ for a while while working in Calgary, also (the bjj part) something he had always wanted to do (linked to his desire to do MMA).

He has had two ammy fights, and has won both. His training was BJJ (no gi) and of course specialized MMA training with professional coaches.

So, if you want to do an ammy MMA match and are serious, I'd suggest you find competent, specialized MMA training. Take a look at the competition record of the coach(es) at the school you choose for sure.

My student lucked out, he is VERY well coached even though we live in a VERY rural area. His judo played some role in his so far success, but really, it was the specialized training plus his blue belt in BJJ that was the biggest factor.

If Judo gives you a stiffy, do it, but realize it won't be a maximally efficient use of your energy, LOL.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd recommend observing a class or 2 at the judo dojo. An elite coach's class might be a shark tank to a noob.

Style
    JiuJistu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I have missed this, but what time frame are you looking at?

Style
    Muay Thai/Western Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks a ton for all the advice so far guys, it's super helpful. I didn't do a very good job explaining the time line, I want to compete before I'm thirty, I'm going to be 27 in June.

Style
    JiuJistu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, that would give you a solid 2,5 to 3 years that should be possible
    How is your MT? Where about in New York are you (NYC or state?) If you are somewhere close to the city you have tons of good schools at your finger tips,
    NewYork Combat Sambo is good, with Sambo Steve (he posts on here) who has coached a few fighters if I recall correct.
    There is Renzos who does loads of MMA and BJJ
    There is the Wat which has prime MT...
    And there are other options even on LI or in NJ (if you care to go there)

Style
    Muay Thai/Western Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My MT would definitely be the strong point of my game, but it's just because it's what I've practiced longest. Unfortunately I've mainly just been boxing the last few months since my old MT gym is about an hour and 1/2 drive from me now. I mean boxing is fun, but obviously not being able to practice with 6 of my weapons isn't ideal.

I live in Upstate NY, so the choices are VERY limited, which is why I was so excited that such an elite coach was accessible to me.

As it is, I'm super lucky to even have a choice to make between grappling arts, considering the closest "city" (Albany ~ 80k people) is about 50 miles from me.

And once again, I REALLY appreciate the advice guys, thanks.
    Last edited by Dillson; 4/15/2013 3:01pm at .

Style
    JiuJistu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, given the situation I would encourage the BJJ with MMA classes, here is why...
    Train for what your goal is - you want fight MMA so training under said rules/conditions will most likely bring the best results.
    You could continue training your stand up/MT/boxing.
    You would add BJJ/grappling
    You might learn some take downs and take down defense on the way...

Usually I would recommend judo but in your case, since you want to fight MMA and the school has MMA, go for it.